Coronavirus disease outbreak - COVID-19 #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe this is stupid to ask - but I'm headed to Tesco to build up a small stock of essentials (not hoarding ) just in case, and my mind is blank ?! What sort of foods would be best?!

I guess anything in a can...?!
canned food. I bought a load of those bachelor’s pasta and sauce sachets. Rice, pasta etc. Anything that keeps really. I’ve frozen some bread (loaves and hot dog buns) and milk.

my kids will be happy. Loads of spaghetti hoops and sausages for them 😂

Reactions: 6
Maybe this is stupid to ask - but I'm headed to Tesco to build up a small stock of essentials (not hoarding ) just in case, and my mind is blank ?! What sort of foods would be best?!

Tinned, freezer, pasta, rice? Good luck!

Reactions: 3

Cans, cereals, bits to freeze, almond milk, oats, pastas, rice, wine, shower gels, toothpaste, sanitary, pet food, cleaning bits, frozen veg/fruit

Reactions: 2

Pasta
Chopped tomatoes
Frozen fruit and veg
Flour and bread flour
Oil
Yeast
Tomato puree
Eggs
Cereal
Uht milk
Toothpaste and mouthwash
Jars of sauces
Spices to add flavour to bland stuff
Rice
Tinned veg and fruit
Beans
Sugar
Cheese
Chocolate
Alcohol of choice
Pet food and supplies (cat litter etc)
Loo roll
Pot noodles

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Just seen that Sainsbury’s have no online delivery slots until the end of March in my area (zone 2 in London). Other than a couple on Sunday. Tesco do - I wonder if Sainsbury’s have taken them offline for some reason.

we got:
canned beans (baked, red, black), corn, veg (tomatoes, etc), soup, chickpeas (could make a curry), fruit, evaporated milk, fish
coffee - ground and instant
juice
pasta, rice, lentils, noodles
little bottle of olive oil
jars of pasta sauce/curry sauce (we never buy those normally but could be useful if we needed to make meals)
peanut butter
crackers, biscuits, chocolate (in case we had to quarantine and want snacks lol)
granola bars
oats
paper towels
toilet paper (weeks ago, lol)
dish soap
laundry detergent
disinfectant wipes
dog food
dog poop bags
toothpaste
frozen veg

We originally had 2 week's worth but went out last night and bought enough for 1 month. Our city has it now and we want to be prepared in case we are quarantined. We have always said we should have an emergency stash as we are prone to snow storms so now we finally have it. We bought as much no-name brand stuff as we could.

Reactions: 4
With regards to swine flu how can you know it effected more people as we are only a few weeks into this so no one can have any idea what the final numbers of people who catch it/ die etc will be. From what I am reading this will be an issue for months ! And if they use to severe measures it will create a second wave in the autumn 😬

My husband was talking to the head of our son's school this morning and his feeling (and the talk amongst schools) is that the government are waiting for the Easter Holidays to start. The plan will then be to keep school's closed for an extra two weeks at the end the Easter break and everyone must stay at home.
My sister is a teacher and she thinks they'll close a week early for the Easter holidays and/or remain closed after the holidays.

Reactions: 1

The golden rule is always anything your family normally eats.

So stuff that has a longer life such as spaghetti, pasta, pasta sauce, tortilla wraps, part baked bread, breakfast cereals, oats, rice, lentils,soya milk or UTH milk. Baked beans, tuna, kidney beans, chickpeas, rice cakes, muesli bars, soup sachets, cake, chocolate etc

Also non food items like shampoo, shower gel, vitamins.

Reactions: 4
I don’t 100 percent know but from Italy it looks like it’s all non essential travel. Distancing from people. Restaurants are still open but tables a metre apart. A journalist was saying she can still travel you just have to prove you need to travel for work. Some shops one in one out policy. I think it’s essentially stay in unless you absolutely need to go out and if you do then keep your distance from people. I can imagine some people here though Won’t care. Restaurants open til 6pm in Italy. So for example I might take my children on a bike ride off the beaten track near here to get them out but I wouldn’t go to a play centre
Yes I have family in Italy and they are still able to go to work and cafes/shops/restaurants still open but numbers of people restricted (so that everyone can keep distance) and opening restricted hours. Schools closed and events etc cancelled. No non essential travel and you have to account for it if you are travelling distances eg for work etc.

I did a bit of a shop on Sat at Lidl. Really disb't want to look like I was panic buying but tbh my cupboards were bare so needed to stock up!
Extra's I got were 4xlonglife milk, some mug shots, beans, drinks and chocolate.
I'm now wondering if to get a few more bits as the thought if having to join those queues as seen in Italy is not appealing. But again I really don't want to -stock pile' as I don't want to stop others getting what they need.

I did a bit of a shop on Sat at Lidl. Really disb't want to look like I was panic buying but tbh my cupboards were bare so needed to stock up!
Extra's I got were 4xlonglife milk, some mug shots, beans, drinks and chocolate.
I'm now wondering if to get a few more bits as the thought if having to join those queues as seen in Italy is not appealing. But again I really don't want to -stock pile' as I don't want to stop others getting what they need.
I've been buying slowly for myself for the past two weeks, just as much as I can physically carry each time. It slowly does add up.

Maybe I'm just a bit weird but I don't think many others would put your family first over theirs.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.