Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Nope. Apart from my initial letter saying I had to shield I've heard nothing. Nor has my neighbour (we talk over the fence when he's well enough)
That's bad. You should contact your GP as that's where the government got your details from. Tell them you've received no help.

Reactions: 3
Sorry you've had such a rough day, a bit of slap always helps me. Re Boris' hair - the best comment I have ever read on this site was that Boris looks like he's brushed his hair with a toffee apple:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:I wish I could take credit for it, it's one of the funniest things I've heard in ages!
OMG. That is hilarious :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Its got that static effect hasn't it like someones just rubbed a balloon all over his head before he came out!

I think a lot of us are feeling down and miserable. well done on putting some slap on! I think I’ll put some make up on tomorrow. It’s funny how a bit it make up can really pep you for the day!
Honestly has me feeling like a new woman! hahah

• Haha
Reactions: 4
because business is quieter. we work in transport so they work 40hours and anything over 40hours is paid overtime - usually we are busy so they can clock up more, but because we need to tide over, so the guys who are working are taking home a couple of hours overtime at most, whereas if those who are furloughed (Which we have done as goodwill due to shielding) could take home more of average hours are paid if you see what I mean?

I have a feeling we are being too kind to offer furlough for shielding when SSP is fine for that situation
Your not the one paying furlough though the government is so it doesn’t affect you?

SSP is really unfair as they aren’t actually Ill, the government has told them they have to shield.

it’s just a really unusual situation I know.
sorry if I’ve misunderstood?

Reactions: 2
Just received my first furlough payslip works out like a normal wage without all the extra hours I did. I feel guilty about receiving it when I've sat on my arse or cleaning the house for 5 weeks. I told other half when all bills are paid I'm donating whatever's left to nhs

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Your not the one paying furlough though the government is so it doesn’t affect you?

SSP is really unfair as they aren’t actually Ill, the government has told them they have to shield.

this is why I said I didn’t want to pay them SSP, but it’s what the government recommends as a basic pay, but we have decided to furlough, so they aren’t getting SSP.

I know we don’t pay it, well we do currently as we haven’t yet claimed so we’ve kept them on their usual weekly pay out of our own cash flow, but we will be reimbursed.

my question was the moral stance that a furloughed (due to shielding, not lack of work) staff member who was pushing for extra pay to be covered (despite everyone else being happy with basic, as they know they could be on SSP) which would then make the working staff on effectively lower pay due to lower amounts of overtime available which would usually boost their income.
I think it’s quite an unusual situation cos usually there would be more staff furloughed but we haven’t actually furloughed any due to work, just health recommendation

Just received my first furlough payslip works out like a normal wage without all the extra hours I did. I feel guilty about receiving it when I've sat on my arse or cleaning the house for 5 weeks. I told other half when all bills are paid I'm donating whatever's left to nhs
don't feel guilty! you’ve worked hard in your job I’m sure and without this situation you’d still be working hard

The scheme is fantastic for the Gov to be able to help people stay paid in jobs until there is some kind of new normal 😊

I think the main difference is there are many people who feel like whatever they get isn’t enough, and there are also many people who are just incredibly grateful to be able to receive it, and rightfully so!

Its a tricky one to explain but because those that are furloughed are getting an average of what they would usually earn and take home for example £2k a month, those that aren't furloughed are on less hours, but ARE working and are only taking for example £1.5k a month.
It makes a difficult conversation to explain to those that ARE actively working but on less hours due to the current lockdown, take home less.

If someone is unable to work because they're shielding or have symptoms, but their workplace is open, technically businesses are covered to pay them SSP, which would be easier to explain to those that are slogging in work.
It would make easier conversation that those in work take home more money than those at home.
However, everyone knows that SSP is crappy and are doing everything that can to make sure that where able to, staff are furloughed.

Its a crappy situation all round and some employees don't make it easy.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Plus if it is true and the virus is mutating then they have to follow the lifecycle of the new virus. Science is all about ongoing answers there are very few full stops as there is always variables.
It muted twice after leaving China apparently. Many believe that the "flu" that loads of people had around christmas was Coronavirus and this is a mutated form. The second wave that's been predicated could also end up being a mutation.

I hate the tories, really do. Yet the other day I found myself eyeing up Raab and reckoning he'd be quite good in bed. That and me actually agreeing with piers Morgan and Jeremy Hunt (ffs) has really got me wondering who I am anymore. I'm lost.
Piers is a grade A wanker but he's spoken so much sense during this I'm starting to believe we've entered a parallel universe twilight zone thing 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
this is why I said I didn’t want to pay them SSP, but it’s what the government recommends as a basic pay, but we have decided to furlough, so they aren’t getting SSP.

I know we don’t pay it, well we do currently as we haven’t yet claimed so we’ve kept them on their usual weekly pay out of our own cash flow, but we will be reimbursed.

my question was the moral stance that a furloughed (due to shielding, not lack of work) staff member who was pushing for extra pay to be covered (despite everyone else being happy with basic, as they know they could be on SSP) which would then make the working staff on effectively lower pay due to lower amounts of overtime available which would usually boost their income.
I think it’s quite an unusual situation cos usually there would be more staff furloughed but we haven’t actually furloughed any due to work, just health recommendation

don't feel guilty! you’ve worked hard in your job I’m sure and without this situation you’d still be working hard

The scheme is fantastic for the Gov to be able to help people stay paid in jobs until there is some kind of new normal 😊

I think the main difference is there are many people who feel like whatever they get isn’t enough, and there are also many people who are just incredibly grateful to be able to receive it, and rightfully so!
Thanks for explaining.

the furlough should only cover 80% of their basic wage. It would be then up to you if you choose to top it up. I know estate agents on tit basic and their main wage is the commission. They get 80% of their basic as far as I know

Don’t feel guilty, you’ve probably paid into taxes for year’s. If you aren’t able to work currently that wasn’t your fault/choice. Whilst it’s a nice gesture don’t feel you have to donate it all. Your bills/food etc are probably higher being at home too

Reactions: 6
Perhaps donate it to some of the self employed people like my daughter who has had her own cleaning business since jan before last and will be lucky to get £200 in June

So this woman I know has seriously infuriating me she has been offered full time work as a Health Care Assistant for the NHS...turned it down despite having her husband home to look after the children he does not work he is a student. despite turning down paid work as a HCA at this time when her local NHS trust has asked for their help, despite her being a student midwife (year 2) whose lectures etc have all been cancelled. she is not only sitting at home on her backside because she said she would be on similar £ as she would getting benefits???? she doesn't even go to the supermarket , she takes a vulnerable ASDA delivery and then moans because most of the things she ordered were not included... (they have no vulnerabilities)

How selfish on so many levels...she obviously isn't bothered about the NHS if she would rather sit at home on benefits that work as a HCA when she has been asked to because the money is similar....disgusting in my view.
This has really pissed me off. I’ve been a student midwife and if she didn’t care about the NHS then she would not be doing 40 hour free unpaid work a week on placement,
alongside uni studies, putting herself in over 30K worth of debt (at least). Universities are closed but they are still having to do the theory from home and second & third years are going to be called into practice sooner than you think, some already have been. Nobody is ‘asked to be a health care assistant’, you apply for it or are recommended it as a medical student. As a student midwife you have very minimal time with your family, maybe she’s enjoying spending time with her children & husband.. it is not your place to judge.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
How do you go about doing this? X
I wasn’t serious but she started her business last year and was doing really well and now nothing! She applied for universal credit but because her husband has a job nothing and because she only had 3 months in the relevant tax return they will count that as a whole year and divide it by 12. The government has been very generous with employed people but say there are 2 of you earning 2500 per month you will both get 80% of that per month. And I know one or 2 people who are furloughed but have got another job. Bit greedy I think . Also her 2nd tax year just finished and she had a good year but that won’t count. Whereas if you were employed for the last 3 months by a company you will get 80%. Not having a go as it’s not your fault it’s just the government has made it very one sided due to the way they gather the data through Hmrc ( I was a bookkeeper before I retired 6 months ago)

Maybe I might set up a go fund me page for her. But seriously the only money she will get is a grant from the bank of mum and dad.
It breaks my heart as a few weeks ago she was only cloud nine having picked up a new large contract. She did get a job last week as Waitrose cleaning for a contract company but she was so disgusted at how much she was expected to do in 2 hours ( she’s a marvellous cleaner ) and the fact that the clothes used were only rinsed each day . She left after 1 day.

Last edited:
  • Sad
[/QUOTE]
Don’t know if any of you remember me saying my mum has been in hospital for the past two months. Well they are discharging her next Monday she can come home 😭😭
Yes I remember that’s such good news for you and her. Xx

Reactions: 2
I wasn’t serious but she started her business last year and was doing really well and now nothing! She applied for universal credit but because her husband has a job nothing and because she only had 3 months in the relevant tax return they will count that as a whole year and divide it by 12. The government has been very generous with employed people but say there are 2 of you earning 2500 per month you will both get 80% of that per month. And I know one or 2 people who are furloughed but have got another job. Bit greedy I think . Also her 2nd tax year just finished and she had a good year but that won’t count. Whereas if you were employed for the last 3 months by a company you will get 80%. Not having a go as it’s not your fault it’s just the government has made it very one sided due to the way they gather the data through Hmrc ( I was a bookkeeper before I retired 6 months ago)
It's horrible for people like your daughter working hard to make a business to get treated like this. Surely people that have been furloughed cant get work during this time thought that was partly why we are getting paid. I thought if I got a job now I wouldnt get furloughed pay. I would work as a fruit picker if I was near enough I cant believe we have to fly in people to pick our own countries fruit.and veg I would do it just to feel needed

Piers Morgan only cares about Piers Morgan and will say anything if he's getting paid to say it. Don't be fooled by him, he's a fake populist with no allegiance to anyone or anything except his bank balance. Let's not forget this...

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m so pissed at my parents. dad test positive almost two weeks ago and then my mum started showing symptoms from the very first day they were still concerned about having a bottle of wine tried getting at different times me and my two brothers to buy them a bottle when we asked if they need anything and of course the 3 of us refused I mean thats the last thing you need and when you can go without seeing your family all this time but without wine then you have a problem. He started feeling better a few days ago and tho he still had symptoms he went outside and got wine for them self’s. Today he did go out for a hospital appointment but she came with him when she’s ment to be fully staying in for another week. Then he’s came downhill afterwords with his breathing and cough again which he ended up having to go to hospital on advice of the local doctor to get his sats checked. We’ve had arguments since he first came down with it cause it’s like talking to a brick wall and they only listen to what they want feels like I’m the parent. I’m so disappointed in them cause of if he still has it who he could infect other innocent people and he’s in the nhs so should know better so frustrating

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.