Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #25

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've noticed a few of my neighbours not following lockdown lately, and I'm pretty sure one family has gone away as there hasn't been a car for days and they didn't put their bins out 🤷‍♀️
I'd give it another 3/4 weeks before I crack and go and see my parents personally.
I wish we had a guide to as and when things will ease up, but I suppose people would probably just take advantage of that and go back to their 'normal' lives even earlier.
Also if people start going back to work May/June then schools will get busier and what's going to happen over the summer holidays, I rely on my parents and holiday clubs for my eldest so surely that part will not be restricted by then?

• Angry
Reactions: 5
It sounds bad but I think eventually people will just start doing their own thing regardless of “rules”. There’s only so long people will put up with this. I mean in terms of seeing family etc

Reactions: 15
Does anyone have any update on holiday or future travel plans. We are supposed to be going to the Canaries in July but not sure if it's actually going to happen 🤷🏼‍♀️☹
We've got Spain in July, not been cancelled yet and we've had a reminder to book our seats on the place in 3 weeks, Manchester for weekend August and Liverpool November then we've got Spain booked and paid for for July next year.

This years holiday to Spain was booked and paid for last May and next year's was booked February and will be paid off at the end of this month.

I had tickets to see a show, the tickets were purchased 2018, the show is next Month and this has been postponed to 2022.

Had tickets for another show for Saturday night and that has been postponed to May next year.

Next after holidays is seeing Alanis Morrisette in September, not heard anything else about that then a few more gigs in November and December

My parents were meant to go away to Greece and then Croatia in summer, they have cancelled both. I don't think it will happen.
We can't cancel as at the moment their guidelines are they are starting flights from beginning of June. We have to wait until they cancel the holiday, then we will just move the booking to 2022.

Luckily we got our travel insurance before the 17th March so we are covered by that for full refund if the holiday company refuse to refund for any reason

Reactions: 1
I can't see it being a year... But if it is. Surely it's better that we miss them than potentially you or they die of covid?!

I get that it's tough but I'd still my family be safe and us have to just facetime and be alive... (Hope this doesn't sound too dramatic but it's how I feel)
No, of course I want everyone to stay safe. You dont sound dramatic at all. It's just hard seeing my kids upset, and my parents are really missing seeing them.

I think a lot of people are feeling this way 😔

My parents don't have any underlying conditions but they are a bit older and they live 6/7 hour drive away and they're missing their grandkids terribly.

I speak to them everyday but it's not the same, and my boys get upset and ask to see them all the time.

I think I have a month left in me before I just think 'duck it' and make the drive down there.
At that point it will be essential travel.

I think the worst part is not having a definitive date, as to when we'd be 'allowed' to see them again.
I don't think we'll have one for a while, but I do feel like if we had something to aim for it'd be easier to countdown to.
How often did you see them if they are 6 to 7 hour drive away anyway?

It sounds bad but I think eventually people will just start doing their own thing regardless of “rules”. There’s only so long people will put up with this. I mean in terms of seeing family etc
They are round here. Facebook is a hotbed of sharing things on how to beat the lockdown rules as though it's some sort of challenge.

My particular favourite tip was "pretty much carry on as normal with visiting family etc or trips to the playpark. If you get stopped, just say you have a mental health issue and it's an essential trip because my friends husband's dog sitter whose wife is a top doctor and is having an affair with a high ranking MP* says they can't question you if you say you have a mental health issue but keep it secret as they don't everyone knowing". Despite that person sharing it on Facebook neighbourhood page!!

*you know the way it is, it's always someone high up that's shared this top secret info that isn't public knowledge

Facebook is the biggest liability right now and the businesses that are freely advertising that they are open on there or are following the traffic light system printed in the daily mail for opening their business.

If you point out its not Gov advice, they shrug theirnshoulders and say that the Gov advice has all been wrong so far so they are making their own decision based on advice and following Spains pattern yet in the same breath are saying lockdown was pointless and should have been started earlier.

I see it as if the Gov said from the beginning that lockdown was to be until 31st July then restrictions could be eased, people would have kicked off and said no way so they are doing it in 3 weekly stages it seems.

Trouble is as nation we are not good at being told what to do and we just don't so it.

The ones who are breaking the rules are relying on the non rule breakers to continue to not break the rules so they can then insist lockdown is pointless. They are the equivalent to Anti Vaxers!

The fact that furlough money is available for 3 months should have suggested that this wouldn't done in 3 weeks, our secondary school has set homework for each subject each week until the start of the summer hols and this is marked by the Teachers weekly and most schools round here with Teachers I know are not expecting to be back in School till September but most are hoping for a July opening at best.

Of course it would be great if it all got back to normal but we shouldn't be counting on things happening by the beginning of May, which is what a lot of people here are relying on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Quoted from my unions email-
It is the case that our hospitals are stating that the first surge of cases was not as bad as predicted and that we have not been stretched to capacity in the system overall or in individual Trusts. At meetings this week, we have started to hear of a second surge of cases expected around early-mid May 2020 and that the expectation is then a lower but significant number of cases for up to 12-18 months.

It is the case that our hospitals are stating that the first surge of cases was not as bad as predicted and that we have not been stretched to capacity in the system overall or in individual Trusts. At meetings this week, we have started to hear of a second surge of cases expected around early-mid May 2020 and that the expectation is then a lower but significant number of cases for up to 12-18 months.
My H is in and out of hospitals for work and our nearest big hospital has a 100 hundred bed ICU split into 4 25 bed wards. 50 of those beds are currently occupied by Covid19 patients and this is the fullest they have been and its not been a bigger hit as they thought. The ICU operator said lockdown was started at exactly the right time and they've been able to cope. Any cases that take it over 50 they will be transferred to Nightingale NEC.

My H also said that no social distance between staff and staff and himself at the hospital is being observed either!

Reactions: 3
Two weeks and we were supposed to be in America 😬
Airline have been great and let us change the date and hotel have refunded but we can’t go for another year because I can’t get holiday 😩😞

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Noticed in Asda last night that a lot more people are wearing masks. I'm glad I hadn't planned any holidays this year but I would've liked to replace some windows and my kitchen. But they're not falling apart so it'll have to wait.

All these companies working from home, how would they go about employing new staff if they wanted or needed? How would you train someone from home?
we had a new starter join my team half way through the week Boris announced lockdown. My Manager and me were both self isolating and then our firm made the decision to shut our office the day after he started. ive not even met this poor fella but we have been training him remotely. Luckily we have quite good procedure guides and hes been having a go at stuff on his own with us checking. Hes doing really well but some stuff would be easier to explain in person.
it is possible but not ideal for all jobs

Reactions: 6
I’m bored. I’m bored of the rona,
I’m bored of the daily updates,
I’m bored of people knowing best,
I’m bored of Twitter experts,
I’m bored of Facebook experts,
I'm bored of curtain twitching neighbours,
I'm bored of judgemental shoppers,
I'm bored of virtue signalling,
I’m bored of people breaking rules,
I'm bored of rules,
I’m bored of toilet rolls,
I’m bored of feeling guilty for buying stuff,
I’m bored of second guessing everything I do, or say.... or touch,
I’m bored of looking at people like they’re “dangerous“ because they’re too near,
I’m bored of people looking at me like I’m dangerous because I’m to near,
I'm bored of my routine,
I’m scared when my routine changes,
I'm bored of complaining about tit I can’t change,
I’m bored of being bleeping bored.

But I’m FINE thanks for asking.
😂 🤣😂🤣😂 totally fine. FINE!!!!!
And so say all of us !

• Haha
Reactions: 4
It is lower than predicted because the "big" predictions were based on what would happen without very strict measures in place. The hospitals not being overrun is not a sign of a failing or wrong predictions, it is a sign the lockdown is working.
I don't see how there is anything other than cases continuing for 12-18 months, the virus will not go away before a virus and even then it will not disappear entirely as there are a lot of people critical of the vaccine for some reason.

With the hospitals being quiet etc my thoughts are it might be like my husband's (normal)commute.

If he leaves at 6.20 he gets a clear run and gets to his work really early but if he leaves at 6.30 it takes much longer and he could be late for work ?
It's an exponential thing so you want to be early rather than late ?
We shut everything down and managed to keep the numbers low but if had left things just a bit longer it could have been horrific ?

Reactions: 2
Let's just say i had a mid life crisis the start of the week.. had a breakdown all weekend in silence thinking where my life is going etc dreading going back to work! So i decided to cut my hair on my own.The length of my hair was to my boobs and now its just to my chin not gonna lie i feel like its been a weight lifted from my shoulders (literally 🙈)

I guess everyone is dealing with this differently 💜

Reactions: 9
With the hospitals being quiet etc my thoughts are it might be like my husband's (normal)commute.

If he leaves at 6.20 he gets a clear run and gets to his work really early but if he leaves at 6.30 it takes much longer and he could be late for work ?
It's an exponential thing so you want to be early rather than late ?
We shut everything down and managed to keep the numbers low but if had left things just a bit longer it could have been horrific ?
I agree, we were on an exponential growth curve. Remember the first time we were horrified when the number of recorded deaths was 1,000 a day? That would have so easily become 2,000 in only 3 days.

Let's just say i had a mid life crisis the start of the week.. had a breakdown all weekend in silence thinking where my life is going etc dreading going back to work! So i decided to cut my hair on my own.The length of my hair was to my boobs and now its just to my chin not gonna lie i feel like its been a weight lifted from my shoulders (literally 🙈)

I guess everyone is dealing with this differently 💜
High five! I did the same. My hair was the same length (just past boobs) and is now shoulder length and it feel soooo much better.

• Heart
All these companies working from home, how would they go about employing new staff if they wanted or needed? How would you train someone from home?
My husband is training someone at the minute. He has the lady in loudspeaker and they can see the same screen (I have no idea of the technical stuff) but for example he can show her something snd she can work on it while she can watch and vice versa.

How often did you see them if they are 6 to 7 hour drive away anyway?

They are round here. Facebook is a hotbed of sharing things on how to beat the lockdown rules as though it's some sort of challenge.

My particular favourite tip was "pretty much carry on as normal with visiting family etc or trips to the playpark. If you get stopped, just say you have a mental health issue and it's an essential trip because my friends husband's dog sitter whose wife is a top doctor and is having an affair with a high ranking MP* says they can't question you if you say you have a mental health issue but keep it secret as they don't everyone knowing". Despite that person sharing it on Facebook neighbourhood page!!

*you know the way it is, it's always someone high up that's shared this top secret info that isn't public knowledge

Facebook is the biggest liability right now and the businesses that are freely advertising that they are open on there or are following the traffic light system printed in the daily mail for opening their business.

If you point out its not Gov advice, they shrug theirnshoulders and say that the Gov advice has all been wrong so far so they are making their own decision based on advice and following Spains pattern yet in the same breath are saying lockdown was pointless and should have been started earlier.

I see it as if the Gov said from the beginning that lockdown was to be until 31st July then restrictions could be eased, people would have kicked off and said no way so they are doing it in 3 weekly stages it seems.

Trouble is as nation we are not good at being told what to do and we just don't so it.

The ones who are breaking the rules are relying on the non rule breakers to continue to not break the rules so they can then insist lockdown is pointless. They are the equivalent to Anti Vaxers!

The fact that furlough money is available for 3 months should have suggested that this wouldn't done in 3 weeks, our secondary school has set homework for each subject each week until the start of the summer hols and this is marked by the Teachers weekly and most schools round here with Teachers I know are not expecting to be back in School till September but most are hoping for a July opening at best.

Of course it would be great if it all got back to normal but we shouldn't be counting on things happening by the beginning of May, which is what a lot of people here are relying on.
Every other weekend usually.
3 weeks at the most.
They take my 2 for weekends/week away every other month or so too.

I think they’ll keep working from home where possible for a long time. There has been a push for flexible working for so long now, and now many businesses will have found that it is possible for a lot of workers to do their job from home.
my oh has been asked to go back to the office on May 11th. They work in a building where many companies are there’s about 2000 employees on the site.
I just can’t understand the logic when he says it’s been perfectly fine working at home and is able to fully do his job.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.