Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If schools and nurseries go back first then I'll be back at work, I rely on my parents for childcare for my kids. If I'm not supposed to see them how is that supposed to work? It just doesn't make sense as I'm sure lots of parents are in the same boat.
It's only in regions where there has been a low outbreak. Are you in that category? If so then presumably they'll lift the ban on not mixing households so you can still use your parents for childcare?

Captain Tom's Just Giving is still open but has anyone else had this problem?

I donated, it went through PayPal and returned me to JG, but the promised confirmation email didn't arrive and checking my PayPal some hours later, there is no record of the transaction.

I don't know if I need to do it again or if it will catch up later?

870 more UK deaths (possibly due to the Bank Holiday lag as Chris Witty said).

Presumably they're reporting correctly today as they were wrong yesterday and the figure was lower than newspapers reported?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
740 English deaths ..and an earthquake in Italy ....sorry if it's already been posted....near 14,000 UK victims

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
It's only in regions where there has been a low outbreak. Are you in that category? If so then presumably they'll lift the ban on not mixing households so you can still use your parents for childcare?
Yes I think so, we've had less than 300 deaths in our county (as far as I'm aware).

Reactions: 2
Here’s a link.

It’s under the “advice” section so not so easy to find xx
Thank you- that’s what I meant. I’ll have a look x

Reactions: 2
Sky News are reporting on this:

Sky News analysis has found that of the 54 front line health and social care workers in England and Wales that have died because of #COVID19, 70% of them were black or from an ethnic minority.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Captain Tom's Just Giving is still open but has anyone else had this problem?

I donated, it went through PayPal and returned me to JG, but the promised confirmation email didn't arrive and checking my PayPal some hours later, there is no record of the transaction.

I don't know if I need to do it again or if it will catch up later?
I would wait I did exactly the same it took about 3 hours for the email to come then I checked my PayPal & the money had come out.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
easyJet proposing leaving middle seat of each row empty. What's the point of that ? What about the people behind and in front of you or across from you none of those people are 2 meters from you.

Also surely the air conditioning means it makes no difference where you sit if someone on the plane is sick it will spread ?

Seems ridiculous.

• Wow
Reactions: 11

Sky News analysis has found that of the 54 front line health and social care workers in England and Wales that have died because of #COVID19, 70% of them were black or from an ethnic minority.
What are they trying to get at?
Are their more ethnic minorities that work within NHS as whole think news said 40% so they sort of implying low paid jobs= ethnic minorities.
Or is their a medical reason other than exposure with not much ppe that adversely effects ethnic minorities more.
It feels like news is implying it's racial inequality.
But its more complex than that.
Just a soundbite/ headline to stir up emotion from the media as usual.

Reactions: 4
It feels never ending all this. How do we plan for the future. Maintain our kids wellbeing. My 8 year old is really struggling with not going to school, seeing his friends, seeing family. He's really emotional. Bored. Unmotivated. Despite us getting out each day, gentle approach to school work and variety of activities available for him at home. He understands why things are the way they are but feel a like everything has changed, like he will never see family again, it was mentioned school might not start till September and he burst into tears.
I'm so worried for his mental health. We were already looking into support for him prior to all this and that came to an abrupt stop due to covid.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
Wow. So Swedens herd immunity idea is not working. Of the closed cases, 381 have recovered and 1,333 are dead. They have 12,000 cases
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/
Firstly, it's not a "herd immunity idea". That's Trumps interpretation. Herd immunity is a potential end state, not a response strategy. Sweden's strategy is based on the mutual trust that people follow the advices responsively.

Thirdly. It is working. Sweden's curve is being flattened. Note that each number of deaths being reported each day does represents several days.
IMG_20200416_144301.png

As you can see. It's going down.

Sweden had their first corona case in january. They were further hit by a huge wave of cases in beginning of march due to lots of swedish people being present at the outbreak location in italy. Which is why they reached a serious state of the epidemy rather quickly. It was bad before it even reached UK.

What they're doing now is what they've been doing for a month. People have been saying sweden will become the next italy or spain. Yet, that hasn't happend. Look at Belgium. They went the complete opposite direction, shutting the country down completely a month ago, and now they have one of the highest death rates in the world.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I read the same but for America ..Certain ethnic minorities were worst affected although they thought in America it was to do with poverty and poorer health associated with it ..That wouldn't be the case in the UK ?

Reactions: 5
I hope we do not try to get back to normal too soon. Let's not get complacent about this.

I see people complaining that some stores have stopped non essential buying. Even saw people complaining if they cannot buy clothes they will have to be naked. What...do they have paper clothes?

It feels never ending all this. How do we plan for the future. Maintain our kids wellbeing. My 8 year old is really struggling with not going to school, seeing his friends, seeing family. He's really emotional. Bored. Unmotivated. Despite us getting out each day, gentle approach to school work and variety of activities available for him at home. He understands why things are the way they are but feel a like everything has changed, like he will never see family again, it was mentioned school might not start till September and he burst into tears.
I'm so worried for his mental health. We were already looking into support for him prior to all this and that came to an abrupt stop due to covid.
So sorry. My kids are grown so I don't have to deal with little ones...it must be so hard for them.

Reactions: 3
What are they trying to get at?
Are their more ethnic minorities that work within NHS as whole think news said 40% so they sort of implying low paid jobs= ethnic minorities.
Or is their a medical reason other than exposure with not much ppe that adversely effects ethnic minorities more.
It feels like news is implying it's racial inequality.
But its more complex than that.
Just a soundbite/ headline to stir up emotion from the media as usual.
They have sAid that certain ethnicities are disproportionately affected. I don’t think they know why yet.

Reactions: 5
Slightly related, I love looking in chemist's when abroad and looking at all their different pain (Spain for example a box of 100 ibuprofen 600mg per tablet for 3 euros 99,I always bring a box back!)

When we went to America, I visited a chemist and the amount you could buy was insane!!! They ranged from dollar pain to 50 dollars plus and all kinds of jars and shapes and sizes it was incredible!

I played it safe and got some 6 dollar paracetamol 200 tablets 800mg I think they were.

I don't have an over the counter drug problem either BTW! I also got lots of male up from there too.

But then I work with A Spanish lady and she said that IN Spain you can only buy drugs like that from a Pharmacy and not in supermarkets or corner shops or petrol stations and they are licensed to sell in bigger quantities and stronger doses than the UK.

I love visiting supermarkets on holiday too 😊
i used to always stock up on the spanish ibuprofen - they are fantastic! but i went Mallorca last year (possibly the laws changed) they would sell me 400mg fine but the 600mg ones was told only with a prescription now 😕

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.