Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Not true for all, I work in an asd school and I know our teachers are online 9am - 3pm setting the pupils tasks helping them with them due to communication issues as all pupils rely on bsl, whilst trying to look after their own children. With also being on a rota in the hub even during Easter holidays. And all admin staff are working between home and school
I can only speak about the teachers I know, and to be fair that's just two people.

I think now isn't the time to get all unionised and on the defensive, we're all going to have to make adjustments to our work and home life with this.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m not even getting worksheets 😂 had to source my own. We got some access to websites and that’s about it. When I’ve asked for help setting work (we both work full time and I am no teacher) I was told to just let them play in the garden.
Well that’s unfortunate for you and the school need to be doing more than that. That’s certainly not the case at my children’s school, my school or several of the schools in my area so it does sound like they’re underperforming there. Hopefully it will improve after Easter when they’ve had chance to get their heads around it.

Reactions: 4
They're between a rock and a hard place. If the economy falls more than 6.4% (according to one study) then more people will be killed by closing everything down. Estimates are between 15%-30% fall in GDP.

That doesn't mean anything, the law can and will be changed while trying to be as fair as possible to everyone. Someone said a few pages back that schools would never open over the summer as people had holidays or training. We're a way beyond all that, we have no idea what the world will look like in a few months.

Same here, teachers I know are saying they're bored and on a rota so not at school much. It's not like they're working flat out at the moment so perfectly acceptable to change their summer plans in such troubling times.
It's not just the teachers though the children's and their families may have holidays booked or plans etc. And yea I understand everything is a mess but why would they add to it by complete changing the school schedule and if tourism is open again prevent people from putting money back into that industry ?

I reckon it's a moot point anyway as the way things are going we will be lucky to actually be out of restrictions by the time August comes around anyway !!

Reactions: 5
I don't see how they can cancel summer holidays as it will bugger everything else up such as October half term. It's an unprecedented thing that is happened and there is no blueprint for it. My youngest daughter was due to sit her A levels which is now not happening but her teachers are still teaching her online and sending her work to complete as they don't want the students getting out of the habit of studying. Realistically this won't be over by the summer anyway so I don't see how schools would be able to reopen.

Reactions: 7
My neighbours have this morning had two builders arrive to build them a pergola in their garden - we assume so anyway as it’s a wooden structure. This isn’t allowed surely?? Does that count as essential work? We are working from home too so the added drilling and sawing is much appreciated... 🙄

I dont think work has to be essential it says people should work from home if they can. As long as they can keep the 2m distance they can work.

I don't see how they can cancel summer holidays as it will bugger everything else up such as October half term. It's an unprecedented thing that is happened and there is no blueprint for it. My youngest daughter was due to sit her A levels which is now not happening but her teachers are still teaching her online and sending her work to complete as they don't want the students getting out of the habit of studying. Realistically this won't be over by the summer anyway so I don't see how schools would be able to reopen.
I don’t think they will as they can’t expect primary children especially to do a 15 week term they just wouldn’t cope. I don’t know what they’ll do. They may cut it short potentially. It depends where the virus is on the graph too I guess. It’s all reliant on that.

I dont think work has to be essential it says people should work from home if they can. As long as they can keep the 2m distance.
My window cleaner has been this morning, he said they have been told they can continue working as they don’t come into close contact with people. My understanding is that it is the same for gardeners

Reactions: 6
My window cleaner has been this morning, he said they have been told they can continue working as they don’t come into close contact with people. My understanding is that it is the same for gardeners
I understand it puts extra people on the road etc but if these people can safely work and not need to take government money etc there surely has to be a balance between economy and all of this.

Reactions: 8
I understand it puts extra people on the road etc but if these people can safely work and not need to take government money etc there surely has to be a balance between economy and all of this.
I agree , the more people that can safely work and keep up their livelihoods, the better

Reactions: 13
My husbands still working hes a joiner and plumber. Hes fitting a boiler today (customer is out at work hes a paramedic) problem hes having is getting supplies as his normal merchants is shut.

Same boat here. My eldest boy is due to start school in August (we’re Scotland). It’s all a big mess.
Rubbish isn’t it 😩. Of course I totally understand that it’s all for the best, but god I feel sorry for them if they have to go straight to school. My little one loves nursery and I just feel so sad that she won’t be able to have the experience she should’ve done & finish her time there properly.

Well I’m not happy. I’ve just left the house for the first time in just over three weeks to have a short walk around my estate and a man I have never seen in my life who looked around 30 jogged past me touched my shoulder and I moved back and he looked at me and jumped over the wall to the back of flats. I feel really shaken up and just plain dirty. Could someone calm me down?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I’m due to have a new boiler and tank fitted end of April, they text last week to say the work was still scheduled to go ahead and they would deliver the supplies next week
Same. I made one today. I freeze my ripe bananas to make the bread later.
me too...Mary berry throw it all in recipe , never disappoints. Didn’t know you could freeze the bananas?! just chuck in the freezer in a bag and then defrost before using?

Reactions: 3
They are doing bugger all at the moment, they are on an extended holiday right now. Very few kids in school doing childcare only , and around me they are only working 2 days max a week. I just get messages from fellow teacher friends complaining they are bored.

As a country we need to unite together and part of that is getting people back to work. All my leave has been cancelled as has many others not sure why teachers are any different.
Bugger All? Ensuring we provide care for front line workers, putting ourselves at risk by continuing to go to work, opening on bank holidays so front line workers can continue working, ensuring vulnerable children still have at least one meal a day, constantly checking in on families especially those who may be vulnerable, ensuring children with SEN are having their needs met at home, caring for children from other settings whose normal setting has closed, ensuring all our children are safeguarded and providing home learning. Yeah, we’re doing, ‘bugger all’. We’re doing our bit! It’s not as simple as ‘schools and nurseries are closed’ they’re not. That would have been the easy option. I’m sure I speak on behalf of all of those working in education when I say we are working tirelessly to ensure front line workers can do their job and the economy survives! We’re working harder than we have ever worked before.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Is anyone still smoking on here and trying to give up due to this virus? I’ve been trying to quit for ages but can’t get past day 3 I’ve tried that Allan Carr book and lasted two days. But I’m scared to be a smoker now I’ve heard how bad this virus is for smokers
I don’t smoke, but I have in the past. Not for many years though. I wish you luck in quitting. The price alone now would make me quit, as well as health benefits.

Well that’s unfortunate for you and the school need to be doing more than that. That’s certainly not the case at my children’s school, my school or several of the schools in my area so it does sound like they’re underperforming there. Hopefully it will improve after Easter when they’ve had chance to get their heads around it.
Ours have set up google classroom ,workpacks and we can email the teacher anytime..

Reactions: 6
They are doing bugger all at the moment, they are on an extended holiday right now. Very few kids in school doing childcare only , and around me they are only working 2 days max a week. I just get messages from fellow teacher friends complaining they are bored.

As a country we need to unite together and part of that is getting people back to work. All my leave has been cancelled as has many others not sure why teachers are any different.
Well I don't want my kids missing a summer holiday to go to school and catch up on missed time.
If and its a big if, this was all over by then, i would want to take my kids out and let them enjoy the holidays. Go to the beach, woods, park, soft plays and so on. They cant do that now, they are stuck inside.
To be honest i have been talking to my husband about de-registering both of them and home school them for a period should the government want them back in the classroom before i think its safe.

• Sick
Reactions: 18
I’m due to have a new boiler and tank fitted end of April, they text last week to say the work was still scheduled to go ahead and they would deliver the supplies next week

me too...Mary berry throw it all in recipe , never disappoints. Didn’t know you could freeze the bananas?! just chuck in the freezer in a bag and then defrost before using?
Yes. I put in freezer bags. When defrosting put in bowl as they get a bit slimy. If just freezing overnight to make a smoothie drink then no bag needed. A frozen banana adds thickness to a smoothie. Add some milk, raw cacao and nut butter.

• Heart
I really tried not to bite about teachers, i really did. But I’m fed up of always being the profession that gets moaned about.

I currently work one week in 3 in school. But the other 2 weeks we aren’t in is spent working from home. And I add that the 2 weeks out of school is so that any symptoms have time to show and start isolation. Is it as taxing as being in school? No. Does it benefit your child next year? Absolutely. We send lessons home each day but as an EYFS and SEN teacher these absolutely should be more play based. So if your child is in reception they learn through play in school and that should be continued at home.

When we’re in school we’re working 7am - 5pm with minimal breaks. We have our lunch with the children. The children in schools at the moment are tired. The novelty of being the only ones in has worn off and some are around siblings they wouldn’t normally be with in school and they’ve had enough of each other. It’s hard but we do it because it’s the one small thing we can do to help our country at this moment in time.

We are going in over the Easter holidays, May holidays and if this continues over the summer holidays we’ll be in then too.

Then there’s next year. We might not be doing as taxing work right now but next year we will be working full throttle trying to close gaps that have been created by this - trying to catch children up on half a year of learning.

Then there’s the children - you want your little love to come back to school in the summer and work until October!? The children need breaks more than the teachers so I’d love to see how that pans out.

If the government want us to come back over the summer holidays we will absolutely do it but it would run teachers and children into the ground. We absolutely don’t work as hard as other front line services right now, and I’d never compare us but we also aren’t sat on our arses doing duck all.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.