Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #12

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It wasn’t that long ago where people died all the time of diseases that are now preventable. Maybe because it’s so long ago for them, they’ve forgotten how ruthless these things can be
I find it worrying looking at how quickly (relatively) the population of the earth has increased.
Annual-World-Population-since-10-thousand-BCE-for-OWID.png

A pandemic on this scale is horrifying but not surprising. I think there's been little prep work to get ready for it as it's hard to really do much against in our globalised world.

Reactions: 4
Apologies for quoting my own post, but someone has said at least compost isn’t rationed - you know things are really bad once they do that!
Another member has agreed with me - interestingly she is younger than me.
What is wrong with the older generation?
Are they not watching the news?
Are they living in a parallel universe to the rest of us?
Maybe the scent of surgical spirit and eating tripe with salt and vinegar on lowers your IQ somehow?

😂😂😂 And before anyone whinges, it's a joke. I miss my surgical spirit scented tripe eating great-grandad dearly 😖😥

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
i am happy that my Mum seems be taking this seriously and staying in. i was worried as she is very active and is out every day meeting for coffees, over 70s exercise clases , ladies groups- i thought she'd carry on as normal but pleased she isnt!
had a few texts from her today..shes enjoying the weather tending to her allotment (which is behind her garage in her garden) and she got to see my brothers children through her window and wave when they dropped of her card.
ive just sat in my garden and had a sarnie ..i havent been outside for 5 days as isolating..it was lovely..bees taking advantage of my nettle plenty overgrown borders, birds and a neighbour had windows open with some lovely old early 60s songs like Blueberry hill playing..

• Heart
Reactions: 11
People keep saying we're lucky this is now and not November. Although if it was November and bitterly cold breaking up for Christmas early and a few weeks quarantine and it could be over by jan.

Brighton beach does look a lot more empty, but not deserted today. There's people on the palace pier, you'd of thought that would be closed.
View attachment 98665
They all out in Hove strolling down to the beach walking along the prom swathes of them not a care in the world. I’m getting really wound up about it now 🤬

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Oh! Scotland is doing a news update in 10 mins! Also positive cases have risen by 43, making it 416 overall here. 10 deaths. Oh my word :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I know there are a few asthmatics on here.
I don’t think this has been posted before but it’s certainly worth knowing.

218B18BB-6B45-41C8-96C0-C63E62BFD42D.jpeg

Reactions: 3
Also. I’m a hairdresser. Please if you can go back to your stylists after this has ended
Mine text to cancel my next appointment yesterday, I told her I would be the first one through the door when this is all over. Gods knows I’ll need it 😂

I know there are a few asthmatics on here.
I don’t think this has been posted before but it’s certainly worth knowing.

View attachment 98672
I really hope this is true. I have an appointment with my asthma nurse tomorrow (no idea if it will still be in person or over the phone) but I will ask her about this and let you all know.

Reactions: 4
Oh goodness, my neighbours and their 2 generations of kids are all stood on the driveway, right next to my living room, chatting away and all of them are coughing then chatting then coughing!! I've passive/aggressively shut my window!! 😷😱🤦🏼‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
The person I was referring to works in a restaurant. She absolutely cannot work from home. Therefore she can only claim the 80% salary if everyone is temporarily laid off. In the end, she didn't give enough info as they are fully closed and paying people anyway.

Those who work from home will be receiving their salary as normal so the 80% doesn't apply unless the business has to close and stop all homeworking.

The whole conversation was about the hospitality sector which is work that cannot be done from home, the early years which can't be done from home and non essential shops (everything but food and pharmacy)

If all these close then the Gov will cover 80% of all salaries as long as those people are taken back on after.

If they stay open (without forced closure) then employees can either work, self isolate and claim sick pay, not work and claim universal credit. The 80% will then come into play once the entire business closes.
Hi Emily

That's very interesting and if correct happy to concede my logic was flawed.

If it is correct it could present a challenging conundrum for businesses. For example:

A company might have 200 employees who work in the production facility which has to be closed down due to coronavirus. They may also have a team of 50 people who are engaged in product development, IT development, marketing, finance etc etc who could work from home completing tasks that would prepare the business to be up and running efficiently when the time is right.

If I am understanding the 80% correctly the company have 2 options:

1. Continue to operate which means that 50 people will receive full salary and the business will be well prepared for re-start whilst the 200 are forced to apply for SSP or Universal Credit, both of which will be (I assume) less than 80% of salary.

2. Close down the business so that all employees receive 80% of salary but the business will not be prepared for restart thus slowing the return to profitability and possibly leading to further job loss.

In option 1 the 200 will be resentful of the business owners and perhaps the 50 because they have been driven into poverty and have no promise of a job to return to.

In option 2, the business and perhaps the 50 will be resentful of the 200 because the 50 will only be receiving 80% of salary and the business will not be as well prepared for restart.

Is my understanding correct? If so what a choice. Which one do you think businesses will make?

I’m on my way to the vets by bus so scared but it’s essential so having to do it despite the coronavirus warning to stay in and not travel :( is this ok?

Our country is an embarrassment! Albeit, not everybody, but why can’t people just do we they are bloody well told?

A photo has done the rounds by me of a queue to get into a club last night. I hope they have their license revoked.

And what a bloody embarrassment that it’s risky for us to lock down because people will loot. Other countries can do it but we can’t. All we have to do is change the way we live for a few weeks, a few months perhaps, and we can try get some normality back. SO annoying.
I am shocked at the behaviour of some people in the UK. It seems so idiotic.

Im meant to be going to a 28 week pregnancy appointment tomorrow but my car has broken down and ill have to get a bus into the town which is about 5 miles away. I dont know whether to reschedule.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
People keep saying we're lucky this is now and not November. Although if it was November and bitterly cold breaking up for Christmas early and a few weeks quarantine and it could be over by jan.

Brighton beach does look a lot more empty, but not deserted today. There's people on the palace pier, you'd of thought that would be closed.
View attachment 98665
My son and daughter have just put they’re swimming stuff on and got the hose pipe and sprinkler out 😂 not quite warm enough for that but I thought leave them to it 😂

Im meant to be going to a 28 week pregnancy appointment tomorrow but my car has broken down and ill have to get a bus into the town which is about 5 miles away. I dont know whether to reschedule.
Ring tomorrow tell them, they may be able to get somebody to you.

Ministers are calling for all hairdressers to shut ...for those worried about their barnet💈
All the ones in our town have already closed. I am thanking god I had a hair cut and brows done a couple of weeks ago
I joke I joke. My eyesight is tit thou i wont even notice a stray brow when it happens
Blissful ignorance

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.