Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #116

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I for one won’t be partaking in any restrictions. People should have freedom of choice. I.e wear a mask if it makes you happy but don’t expect others to. If you wanna test you should have the option to but you should also be prepared to pay a fee unless you’re on a low income. Employers should offer flexible working arrangements from home if suitable. No way should it be enforced how it was. Schools should never close again. Funerals should never be restricted again. Weddings shouldn’t be cancelled. Bullshit domestic vaccine passports shouldn’t happen again.

We all know it’s coming again: but who will comply? Certainly not me.
Why? The government budget isn't a personal budget, there is plenty of money they just choose not to spend it where it is needed. We don't pay out of pocket for any other diagnostic tests.

Why? The government budget isn't a personal budget, there is plenty of money they just choose not to spend it where it is needed. We don't pay out of pocket for any other diagnostic tests.
Yes we do. An example of this is Group B strep tests - they are not given out routinely on the NHS in pregnancy even though it poses a risk to the baby.

I don’t believe it’s a good use of public money to verify if someone has covid via a test. It’s akin to testing if someone has flu or cold. If you have symptoms consider yourself sick and decide how you wanna make your next move.

Reactions: 4
Covid has caused me to have a lot of conditions that make me terrified to contract it again, as cases are *so* high I'd like them to bring back things that actually make sense i.e. free testing, isolation & support as well as improving ventilation. I hope they don't do meaningless tit like you can have a drink only if you have a meal etc.
Unfortunately both go hand in hand with this poxy government. They won't bring back free testing etc without say having to check in on the NHS App (never made sense to me as you could never check out) having to que for shops again due to limited numbers or the threat of vaccine passports.

Yes we do. An example of this is Group B strep tests - they are not given out routinely on the NHS in pregnancy even though it poses a risk to the baby.

I don’t believe it’s a good use of public money to verify if someone has covid via a test. It’s akin to testing if someone has flu or cold. If you have symptoms consider yourself sick and decide how you wanna make your next move.
I won't keep banging on but part of the problem with covid is the asymptomatic spread. Also if there aren't tests then how can people access support (aware the support doesn't currently exist but it should)? I didn't know about those other tests however from a quick read I understand why they aren't routinely done. Still they should be free at the point of use too if needed!

Reactions: 1
I won't keep banging on but part of the problem with covid is the asymptomatic spread. Also if there aren't tests then how can people access support (aware the support doesn't currently exist but it should)? I didn't know about those other tests however from a quick read I understand why they aren't routinely done. Still they should be free at the point of use too if needed!
They aren’t routinely done because of the cost. They can be done privately for around £35. It’s saved millions of babies having those tests because they can be treated. They’re routine in most first world countries. There are other tests that aren’t offered on the NHS that’s just one example.

The NHS is already fucked so imo it’s selfish taking out more of their budget to confirm that Shirley’s sniffles are covid as opposed to Shirley’s sniffles being the cold isn’t really a good use of public money. Let’s use the money they have to treat people who do have serious illness and tackle the waiting lists which have sky rocketed thanks to covid restrictions.

The WHO have already declared covid is an inconvenience for the majority of people and that the majority of people will not get severely ill or die from or with covid. Therefore those who are at a particular risk should take their own precautions - like they have done long before covid was invented - and let the rest of us live freely.

Reactions: 8
So many people have described their recent Covid as a ‘summer cold’. They only know it’s Covid and not a cold as they’ve stuck a cotton bud up their nose.
If you’re sick stay at home and treat your symptoms with paracetamol, day nurse or whatever. If you’re not sick, crack on.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I
So many people have described their recent Covid as a ‘summer cold’. They only know it’s Covid and not a cold as they’ve stuck a cotton bud up their nose.
If you’re sick stay at home and treat your symptoms with paracetamol, day nurse or whatever. If you’re not sick, crack on.
Covid isn't like a cold though, not sure how we are two years into this and people are still failing to grasp this. A cold for you maybe but it's totally luck of the draw, it's pretty much disabled me and I am in my 20s.

• Sad
I

Covid isn't like a cold though, not sure how we are two years into this and people are still failing to grasp this. A cold for you maybe but it's totally luck of the draw, it's pretty much disabled me and I am in my 20s.
The majority of people experience a mild infection. It is probably hard for you to grasp that fact because you had a poor experience personally, but most people statistically have a mild illness and fully recover.

Reactions: 9
I

It was deff a flu for us .I believe if you're CEV you'll still be entitled to free tests as they're needed to confirm your diagnosis as other treatment options are available to people in this group .

I

But that has always been the case for some people after a illness, long covid is just another thing that they renamed.

Reactions: 8
But that has always been the case for some people after a illness, long covid is just another thing that they renamed.
I was gonna say the same. Colds and flus can kill, they can lead to sepsis or pnumonia. It's rare yes, but it can happen. As covid goes round the population more the risk of serious illness will get less and less. We need it to just follow a natural cycle instead of trying to control it.

If they try and bring restrictions back I really hope people aren't going to comply this time. Now most people have had covid the fear factor must have gone, so surely people won't comply.

• Heart
There was a lot in the restrictions that made no logical sense and I'd like to think that we all know a lot more now and I suspect that there are very very few people who would think that blanket lock downs would be even a remotely good plan. That doesn't mean however that we all can't be thoughtful of those around us I'm sure we all realise that everybody's circumstances are different. Speaking personally, as far as I know, I've never had Covid but may have done and been asymptomatic. I've certainly had various coughs and colds during the past two years but nothing as serious as when I was totally wiped out by flu a few years ago. I'm pretty healthy with no underlying health conditions and would probably be fine. One of my husband's friends was however hospitalised and had he not been given oxygen would almost certainly have died. He has now tested positive again and whilst he isn't as bad as last time he certainly is quite ill. Likewise my mum is 87 and vulnerable, if I suspected that I had anything I could pass on to either of these people (covid or whatever else) I'd keep my distance for a while and occasional testing helps with this, likewise when cases of covid were sky rocketing last Christmas, I postponed a few social events until the New Year to spend the festivities with my mum and MIL. It wasn't a big hardship and seemed part of being a decent human being. Obviously around and about generally it's much harder as we don't know who is vulnerable and who isn't (to anything) but certainly in medical settings there is a reasonable chance that there are more vulnerable people present so I have no problems with giving extra space and wearing a mask. There seems to be so much talk of different ends of the spectrum (ie lockdown or just do what you want) when there are some very minor things, some of which a lot of us already did before covid that make minimal difference to my life but could help somebody else. As I say, just seems common sense to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
There was a lot in the restrictions that made no logical sense and I'd like to think that we all know a lot more now and I suspect that there are very very few people who would think that blanket lock downs would be even a remotely good plan. That doesn't mean however that we all can't be thoughtful of those around us I'm sure we all realise that everybody's circumstances are different. Speaking personally, as far as I know, I've never had Covid but may have done and been asymptomatic. I've certainly had various coughs and colds during the past two years but nothing as serious as when I was totally wiped out by flu a few years ago. I'm pretty healthy with no underlying health conditions and would probably be fine. One of my husband's friends was however hospitalised and had he not been given oxygen would almost certainly have died. He has now tested positive again and whilst he isn't as bad as last time he certainly is quite ill. Likewise my mum is 87 and vulnerable, if I suspected that I had anything I could pass on to either of these people (covid or whatever else) I'd keep my distance for a while and occasional testing helps with this, likewise when cases of covid were sky rocketing last Christmas, I postponed a few social events until the New Year to spend the festivities with my mum and MIL. It wasn't a big hardship and seemed part of being a decent human being. Obviously around and about generally it's much harder as we don't know who is vulnerable and who isn't (to anything) but certainly in medical settings there is a reasonable chance that there are more vulnerable people present so I have no problems with giving extra space and wearing a mask. There seems to be so much talk of different ends of the spectrum (ie lockdown or just do what you want) when there are some very minor things, some of which a lot of us already did before covid that make minimal difference to my life but could help somebody else. As I say, just seems common sense to me.
I agree it always seems like such a binary choice but there are lots of things in-between that really aren't that inconvenient but will make a big difference ❤

It’s rife at the moment and it seems like everyone who has travelled on holiday is getting it! My friend and all her friends tested positive the day they got back from Ibiza. My dad has just tested positive the day after he has returned from Turkey. Two out of 4 people on my team currently have it, my managers mam has it and I am certain that myself and my boyfriend had it when we were in Italy and then passed it to his mam and brother when we got home. Me, my boyfriend and his mam and brother didn’t test, but it seems pretty suspect they we were all ill. However, for everyone, it has just been like a cold (I know it’s not like this for everyone!), although my boyfriends mam did feel pretty rough for a few days and had to go to bed. It seems like everyone who has avoided it so far is getting it now and this newest variant cannot be avoided. That said, I am against any restrictions being brought back.

I couldn’t agree more. If you look at Japan even pre-covid they thought of the wider community and would wear masks and avoid social settings so they didn’t spread their cold/flu/virus.

Most modern countries like the UK and the USA etc are just so consumed with me-me-me that they don’t care how their actions affect others.

We have moved away from the society of early years that were community based and everybody is now told their voice and feelings count.

I watched a programme the other day about a man who spent 20 odd years in prison and he actually said the hardest thing about coming out of prison was realising that family doesn’t exist anymore as it used ie people looking out for each other. And that really resonated with me.

Reactions: 9
I couldn’t agree more. If you look at Japan even pre-covid they thought of the wider community and would wear masks and avoid social settings so they didn’t spread their cold/flu/virus.

Most modern countries like the UK and the USA etc are just so consumed with me-me-me that they don’t care how their actions affect others.

We have moved away from the society of early years that were community based and everybody is now told their voice and feelings count.

I watched a programme the other day about a man who spent 20 odd years in prison and he actually said the hardest thing about coming out of prison was realising that family doesn’t exist anymore as it used ie people looking out for each other. And that really resonated with me.
Could not agree more, it depresses me how individualistic society is in the UK.

Me not wearing a mask doesn’t stop anyone else wearing a mask if they want to

Me not getting vaccinated doesn’t stop anyone else getting vaccinated if they want to

Stop trying to police people and claim it’s because they have a lack of care for anyone else. If you cared so much you’d respect that other people are well entitled to live their life in a way that makes them most comfortable. It doesn’t stop you doing what makes you feel most comfortable.

Take away the expectation that everyone will do what you say because it’s what you believe is the right thing to do. We all have different beliefs and opinions all of which should be respected.

• Heart
  • Haha
Me not wearing a mask doesn’t stop anyone else wearing a mask if they want to

Me not getting vaccinated doesn’t stop anyone else getting vaccinated if they want to

Stop trying to police people and claim it’s because they have a lack of care for anyone else. If you cared so much you’d respect that other people are well entitled to live their life in a way that makes them most comfortable. It doesn’t stop you doing what makes you feel most comfortable.

Take away the expectation that everyone will do what you say because it’s what you believe is the right thing to do. We all have different beliefs and opinions all of which should be respected.
The UK is to its core individualistic and inherently selfish. Our political consensus is that of neoliberal capitalism thanks to Thatcher. I am not trying to police anyone however it is a once in a lifetime pandemic, public health measures are successful when society as a whole adopts them. I have a degree and some experience in this sector before I got ill so I like to think I have an idea of what I am talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The UK is to its core individualistic and inherently selfish. Our political consensus is that of neoliberal capitalism thanks to Thatcher. I am not trying to police anyone however it is a once in a lifetime pandemic, public health measures are successful when society as a whole adopts them. I have a degree and some experience in this sector before I got ill so I like to think I have an idea of what I am talking about.
Don’t you think it’s about time you learned to live with it 😬 everyone* abided by the rules and look where it got them?

How patronising, you aren’t the only one around here with a degree darling 😏 even the most educated people in the world are at logger heads over covid and what the right thing to do is so no, I don’t believe your opinion is worth any more than mine. Maybe you’ve got the covid brain fog. 😳

*with the exception of those who made the rules up as they went along, and those who saw it for what it was

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 7
Almost everyone I know with covid at the moment are people who avoided it for so long. I'd be surprised if there are many who haven't had it now.
I worked all the way through it in my local hospital for last 3 years , never once got it and then I got it last month on my first holiday abroad 😂😂

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.