Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #109

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My cousin’s daughter has covid.
She is 9.
her three mates at school tested positive on a LFT Monday.
She tested positive today after school asked them all to test.
there is nothing wrong with her whatsoever. No cough. No fever. No loss of taste or smell.
Stuck indoors now until after Xmas. Sad times.

• Sad
Reactions: 24
I don't know how you can honestly think that after 2 years of this. Even if admissions go up, it means very little saying as they don't even differentiate from OF Covid and WITH Covid. Obviously counts are going to up when we insist on testing Aunt Sally with her broken ankle. At this point, the only "proof" would be deaths OF Omicron spiralling beyond comprehension, which hasn't happened anywhere in the world despite it having been many weeks now. I'm not sure what magic doom data you are waiting on.
It may not have happened where you are but our health service was practically crippled
I don't know how you can honestly think that after 2 years of this. Even if admissions go up, it means very little saying as they don't even differentiate from OF Covid and WITH Covid. Obviously counts are going to up when we insist on testing Aunt Sally with her broken ankle. At this point, the only "proof" would be deaths OF Omicron spiralling beyond comprehension, which hasn't happened anywhere in the world despite it having been many weeks now. I'm not sure what magic doom data you are waiting on.
it makes a lot of difference where I am we don’t have a health service ( pre covid) if there’s 3 months worth of admissions at the one time I wouldn’t like to think what would happen it mightn’t concern you as England have a big health service we don’t.We’ve never been out of restrictions since they were brought in we’ve never had the freedom England has.

Reactions: 2
But what do you do of the excess mortality seen around the world? Don't say it's only because of lockdowns otherwise Ireland and Australia would be also affected - they had both extensive lockdowns yet little excess mortality (and little deaths from covid). The Uk has an endemic situation of healthcare services nearly collapsing, but that's not the case of many westerner countries in normal times but they struggled during the different waves. If that's not the sign covid is creating dammages what is it?

I can get to not agree on ways to deal this pandemic or pointing many mistakes made these last 20 months but covid is not a fantasy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I hear you Monga. I feel like you have a balanced and fair view throughout all of these threads and arent scare mongering with your perhaps valid concerns if it happens.

NHS England / Scotland vs NHS N.I is very different.

Reactions: 13
I currently have covid and this is my most irritating symptom. Its made worse by me breathing through my mouth and making it drier.

Bit of night nurse has made last 2 nights a much better sleep
Your symptoms sound exactly like what I've been suffering with.
I was also a bit breathless but put that down to a tight chest. The cough was a tight irritating cough that lasted 2 or 3 days. I was achey with sore skin and have been ridiculously tired, but the throat part was a killer! It stopped me sleeping for 2 or 3 nights and I still don't feel 100%.

I had a neg lft and neg pcr though. They couldn't both be wrong!

I’ve been ill with something that feels like a very bad cold since Sunday. Lat flows have been negative but as the symptoms are exactly those described for Omicron I’ve ordered a home PCR just to check, as it would be good to know if I end up with natural immunity.

The absolute worst thing is the irritated throat and constant need to cough - keep waking up in a coughing fit or with gagging/choking feelings - deeply unpleasant and means I’ve slept terribly all week. Has anyone else experienced anything like that, in COVID or other bugs? Cant wait for that symptom to go.

Probably picked this up at a gig earlier in the month. Now I’m seeing lots of bands cancelling and postponing the rest of their tour dates, it’s like 2020 happening again.
That's exactly what my experience of Covid was last month. I had a few days of cold symptoms, then the irritating cough kicked in. Not a chesty, respiratory cough, but the itchy, back of the throat annoying cough that you desperately try to suppress, only to make it worse and end up in an endless coughing fit. Made it very difficult to sleep. Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 4
It may not have happened where you are but our health service was practically crippled

it makes a lot of difference where I am we don’t have a health service ( pre covid) if there’s 3 months worth of admissions at the one time I wouldn’t like to think what would happen it mightn’t concern you as England have a big health service we don’t.We’ve never been out of restrictions since they were brought in we’ve never had the freedom England has.
But like you say, it *started off* crippled, that's the point I'm making. Lots of people having a stuffy nose with Omicron isn't killing the NHS. It was dead anyway. Plus, you cannot trust their data. That's what I'm trying to get across. Just because they wave around 100k cases a day, doesn't mean those people are in A&E. I think it's naive and falling for the hype to automatically assume increasing counts of Omicron means society is fucked. That's exactly what they want us to think and so far, there has been duck all evidence of that other than their data twisting. Society is fucked because of their reaction to this all, not because of a new variant.

If we stopped testing people who aren't sick, the counts wouldn't even be newsworthy.

Also my experience of the NHS in England is utterly bollocks regardless of how big you might think it is. As is many people's. Covid or no covid.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve only ever tested when asked (out of respect for the person asking) or if a close contact has 100% tested positive.

Reactions: 3
But like you say, it *started off* crippled, that's the point I'm making. Lots of people having a stuffy nose with Omicron isn't killing the NHS. It was dead anyway. Plus, you cannot trust their data. That's what I'm trying to get across. Just because they wave around 100k cases a day, doesn't mean those people are in A&E. I think it's naive and falling for the hype to automatically assume increasing counts of Omicron means society is fucked. That's exactly what they want us to think and so far, there has been duck all evidence of that other than their data twisting. Society is fucked because of their reaction to this all, not because of a new variant.

If we stopped testing people who aren't sick, the counts wouldn't even be newsworthy.

Also my experience of the NHS in England is utterly bollocks regardless of how big you might think it is. As is many people's. Covid or no covid.
I didn’t say they were fucked or that cases mean admissions I said let’s see how healthcare holds up that is the proof then , if you’re turned away from the hospital door you’ll know for sure. I agree with only testing those that are ill I’ve never seen the need for healthy people to stay home.

That's exactly what my experience of Covid was last month. I had a few days of cold symptoms, then the irritating cough kicked in. Not a chesty, respiratory cough, but the itchy, back of the throat annoying cough that you desperately try to suppress, only to make it worse and end up in an endless coughing fit. Made it very difficult to sleep. Hope you feel better soon.
Thank you! :) I’ve been like this since Sunday so am completely fed up with it now. Just want to get a decent few hours sleep!

I didn’t say they were fucked or that cases mean admissions I said let’s see how healthcare holds up that is the proof then , if you’re turned away from the hospital door you’ll know for sure. I agree with only testing those that are ill I’ve never seen the need for healthy people to stay home.
But people already are turned away, so where's the difference? People haven't been able to get doctors appointments, dentist appointments, hell pretty much any treatment throughout the entire pandemic. That isn't because of Omicron. This is the problem I feel like it's so burned into people's brains now that if they are denied treatment, it because new variants are burdening the NHS, as opposed to the fact the government is just removing all avenues of care. E.g. as discussed before, A&E is struggling because people can't get GP appointments, people can't get GP appointments because GP's are now dedicating their time to boosters etc etc. My GP surgery has never been so quiet than through the pandemic and everyone I know said the same about theirs. The staff were there, they just were denying patients access.

Reactions: 16
I’ve only ever tested when asked (out of respect for the person asking) or if a close contact has 100% tested positive.
Me too I’ve never bought into the ‘test weekly’ crap. The impact this pandemic is having on the environment is going to be detrimental with all this plastic etc.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Lets be real, the NHS has been failing us for years, they just have a convenient excuse for it now.

Reactions: 18
Stupid question but... How do we go from "there are no tests available anywhere" and people panicking, to 1.6million tests in a day?!
I wonder if people have stockpiled them ? Obviously not to that extent.

Some will be patients testing before entering hospital

88k out of 1.6 million is a small percentage..

Reactions: 4
Stupid question but... How do we go from "there are no tests available anywhere" and people panicking, to 1.6million tests in a day?!
I was one of the 1.6 million yesterday, my walk in testing centre had appointments free all day, I was in and out straight away

But people already are turned away, so where's the difference? People haven't been able to get doctors appointments, dentist appointments, hell pretty much any treatment throughout the entire pandemic. That isn't because of Omicron. This is the problem I feel like it's so burned into people's brains now that if they are denied treatment, it because new variants are burdening the NHS, as opposed to the fact the government is just removing all avenues of care. E.g. as discussed before, A&E is struggling because people can't get GP appointments, people can't get GP appointments because GP's are now dedicating their time to boosters etc etc. My GP surgery has never been so quiet than through the pandemic and everyone I know said the same about theirs. The staff were there, they just were denying patients access.
We’ve never had problems like we’re having now where there’s no ambulances available no staff in hospitals that they’ve had to have military doctors help out our GPs and dentist’s are seeing people it’s hospitals where the pressures lie if they’re struggling like this with falling numbers what’s it going to be like if there’s a surge we’ve been on more lockdowns than the rest of the UK you’ve had it easy over there in comparison.

We really need to stop testing asymptomatic people and making people isolate. We are all going to be exposed to this at some point - what are we actually hiding from now? A seemingly much more mild illness akin to a cold? What are we protecting? I just don’t understand
I’ve been saying this for a while now and every time I mention it on this thread I get told “oh but you might be carrying it asymptomatically” yes, and? What exactly is the problem with that? That I might “kill granny” By passing it on unknowingly? Well granny should be triple vaccinated by this point so should be protected. When does it end? Asymptomatic testing has to stop at some point.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
We’ve never had problems like we’re having now where there’s no ambulances available no staff in hospitals that they’ve had to have military doctors help out our GPs and dentist’s are seeing people it’s hospitals where the pressures lie if they’re struggling like this with falling numbers what’s it going to be like if there’s a surge we’ve been on more lockdowns than the rest of the UK you’ve had it easy over there in comparison.
I beg to differ. My local hospitals are on black alert every winter. There are always reports of no ambulances and them stacking up at the hospital as no beds.

Reactions: 14

Attachments

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.