Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #108

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone know if your doctor can give you a simple vitamin D test? If not, where can they be done?
I had mine tested pre pregnancy for a different medical reason - it was just a blood test at the hospital.
Edited to add - I thought this was on the pregnancy thread 😁😁

Reactions: 4
Does anyone know if your doctor can give you a simple vitamin D test? If not, where can they be done?
My husband has vit d tests , he takes blood at home through a finger prick then posts the kits back. He gets its through his Bupa, I'll ask him the company name.

If you're really low they then prescribe a really strong vit d that the NHS won't give you. My husband went from really deficient to really high over a few months. It made so much difference to his health and mental well-being, and he lost weight.

The Dr he saw said to not even bother trying to get treatment through the NHS as they have a really slow pathway way they start with cheap weak vit d then gradually increase when it doesn't work. It can take years to actually get your levels right.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My husband has vit d tests , he takes blood at home through a finger prick then posts the kits back. He gets its through his private healthcare, I'll ask him the company name.

If you're really low they then prescribe a really strong vit d that the NHS won't give you. My husband went from really deficient to really high over a few months. It made so much difference to his health and mental well-being, and he lost weight.

The Dr he saw said to not even bother trying to get treatment through the NHS as they have a really slow pathway way they start with cheap weak vit d then gradually increase when it doesn't work. It can take years to actually get your levels right.
Basically, the reason I ask is because studies are starting to come out about the link between higher vitamin D levels and better protection against Covid symptoms. I just wanted to get checked because I never had my vitamin D levels checked before and I've been taking vitamin D3 for well over a year and half, so just wondered if I could find out via my GP.

I watched this a little while ago. Interesting to hear, especially from a Dr in Israel. I think it could help people out who don't know this stuff.

Basically, the reason I ask is because studies are starting to come out about the link between higher vitamin D levels and better protection against Covid symptoms. I just wanted to get checked because I never had my vitamin D levels checked before and I've been taking vitamin D3 for well over a year and half, so just wondered if I could find out via my GP.
I take a vitamin D supplement from Holland and Barrett. They do two strengths - both are above the RDA but not massively so.

I take a vitamin D supplement from Holland and Barrett. They do two strengths - both are above the RDA but not massively so.
I take 5000iu of vitamin d3 per day. I have also started taking 100mcg of vitamin K2 (MK7 form) per day, which helps transfer vitamin D from the blood to the bones. Vitamin K2 is another supplement you should consider taking each day too, alongside the vitamin D. Make sure it's vitamin d3 though, as that is the purest form of vitamin D. Vitamin K2 helps with natural (good) blood clotting. Just make sure you can take them and you are not on any blood thinners.

Reactions: 5
I had a vitamin D blood test done a year ago, I phoned the surgery to book it. I was found to be low and was put on very high dose for a few weeks and this was gradually reduced. I had another blood test last week for my thyroid and asked for a vitamin D test as well. I did think they would be quite awkward about doing a test that the doctor hadn’t asked for but they seemed to be quite happy to do it. Just phone/email your doctors surgery.

I was going tk pay for a private test thinking the doc wouldn’t let me have a blood test but I was pleasantly surprised

Reactions: 1
Vit D is a great idea. I've been starting to take more vitamins.

SA hospitalizations - and according to heads of hospitals 90% were incidental hospitalizations, for other things - are cratering fast. Very good news.

These models used are dangerous assuming that this variant is worse than delta and the vaccines provide no protection at all which is nonsense, but explains why they get the results they do - to present to gov't so gov't has an excuse for lockdown when the mathematical models aren't even based in any kind of reality but somewhere past Pluto.

US media trying to fearmonger about 'super spreader' events with this mutation is kind of funny because they go "oh no we were SO CAREFUL and we got a runny nose" - literally these people had head colds from this mutation. These idiots won't put two and two together: you can't avoid a respiratory virus and it's mutated into another relatively harmless virus we must live alongside as we do the other flus, coronaviruses and rhinoviruses.

Reactions: 8
Have you got access to a private GP practice? Our GPs round here don't test for Vit D deficiency because they say the majority of people are deficient. It's only when further symptoms are appear that they they will test.

Reactions: 2

I watched this a little while ago. Interesting to hear, especially from a Dr in Israel. I think it could help people out who don't know this stuff.

So hubbie was on this super strong prescription bit d at the start of the pandemic.
Me, mum and my two kids all had covid (we assume classic symptoms in me and mum) husband was never affected at all. Then it came out that vit d helps fight covid.

His Dr told him pretty much everyone in the UK is vit d deficient. He's very pale so doesn't ever really go out in the sun without hat and suncream and is an office worker. And he was dangerously deficient.

Reactions: 6
Have you got access to a private GP practice? Our GPs round here don't test for Vit D deficiency because they say the majority of people are deficient. It's only when further symptoms are appear that they they will test.
I don't have a private GP, no. I could always find one and see if they'll do a vitamin D test for me though. That's interesting to know, thanks. Surprised that people aren't advised to take vitamin d in this country. Should be way more emphasis on it.

Reactions: 3
I don't have a private GP, no. I could always find one and see if they'll do a vitamin D test for me though. That's interesting to know, thanks. Surprised that people aren't advised to take vitamin d in this country. Should be way more emphasis on it.
There definitely should be. They advise you to give kids vit d but not yourself.

There's a company called thriva £8 for a finger prick vit d test

• Heart
I take 5000iu of vitamin d3 per day. I have also started taking 100mcg of vitamin K2 (MK7 form) per day, which helps transfer vitamin D from the blood to the bones. Vitamin K2 is another supplement you should consider taking each day too, alongside the vitamin D. Make sure it's vitamin d3 though, as that is the purest form of vitamin D. Vitamin K2 helps with natural (good) blood clotting. Just make sure you can take them and you are not on any blood thinners.

I've been taking 2000 iu per day for a few years now

It's one of the few vitamins or supplements that seems to actually have a value as most people are deficient

When it comes to vitamins and supplements everyone has different needs.

Most things we can get from our diet and taking excess can actually be harmful.

Aside from Vit D I take B12 as I am a vegetarian , as well as B complex.

I also take omega 3 oil as that has been proven to have benefits and probiotics.

Usually, the typical human can make and store enough Vit d through summer to last the winter and can get the shortfall through a balanced diet.

Too much Vit D can be bad for you and give unpleasant side effects which is why there is an RDA if you take a supplement. Too much Vit D can cause a build up of calcium in your blood which can then lead to several other side effects

Usually, the typical human can make and store enough Vit d through summer to last the winter and can get the shortfall through a balanced diet.

Too much Vit D can be bad for you and give unpleasant side effects which is why there is an RDA if you take a supplement. Too much Vit D can cause a build up of calcium in your blood which can then lead to several other side effects
We barely get a summer in the UK, let alone enough hours of ☀

We barely get a summer in the UK, let alone enough hours of ☀
We get between 17 and 18 hours of day light in the uk around the summer solstice, even if we often don't get hot weather. Hot countries get fewer day light hours.
The lifestyle in the UK isn't always best suited to getting the benefits of natural daylight.

Booked my booster but worried I’ll get turned away. I’m early 30s.
They just haven’t advertised they have updated the website yet, they did this every time they lowered the age bands for booking vaccines, I wouldn’t worry

• Heart
We get between 17 and 18 hours of day light in the uk around the summer solstice, even if we often don't get hot weather. Hot countries get fewer day light hours.
The lifestyle in the UK isn't always best suited to getting the benefits of natural daylight.
You need to actually go out in the though and have exposed skin.

And like you say UK lifestyle isn't suited to it. Add in the fact that summer is often wet, cloudy and not very warm it isn't very inviting and if you are outside likely to have arms and legs covered. Which is why most brits dont store up enough

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.