Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #108

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In my circles lots of people are testing right now. We are all late 20s so have fairly active social lives and don't want to compromise on missing out on events and seeing our friends, so people are testing before gatheringgs etc and will be testing before travelling to see parents and stuff at Christmas. If you'#re out and about it's the most sensible thing to do imo.
But if you're out and about you're likely to pick up the virus you and your friends may test neg but if you're in a public space it doesn't mean there's no pos cases so defeats the purpose, if you wanted to keep family safe surely the best thing to do would be to isolate and test before visiting .

My family run a lovely pub in the local village, they are worrying about supplies at Christmas. Does anyone think there’s a chance they could close 😩😩
Not yet I think well be hit with table service only 1 m distance etc. Hopefully not because even that will wreck pubs alone! I hope their Christmas is successful as can be 🙂

Reactions: 2
Yeh I knew through sequencing that it was hiw they found the variants, but didn't realise they told you

Weird isn't it, when this one is milder than Delta apparently. I wonder if they did the same when that first arrived
No idea.

Public Health told us at work that track and trace contact a random sample number of people who test positive each day in different areas and ask where theyve been 48 priors to being positive and then ask the contacts. If theyve been near an area with a confirmed case or had contact with a confirmed case then they were treated as Omicron.

We had a member of staff test positive and because theres no cases in our area and none of their contacts had been near an area, it wasnt registered as the new variant

Reactions: 1
Schools definitely haven’t been given a heads up. My mums a teacher and they haven’t even been told what the new measures mean for schools. Nor have all these supposed carbon dioxide monitors that were promised in the summer arrived.
I overheard someone saying their school had been told to make sure provisions are in place and have asked all parents to check they can still access teams

I overheard someone saying their school had been told to make sure provisions are in place and have asked all parents to check they can still access teams
Our school emailed to ask if everyone had internet access at home and to ensure teams was still downloaded as they are going to move homework entirely on line.

Since this beginning of this week, they have moved all staff meetings and assemblies online and 6th form have to go home if they have free periods and parents can't go into school again. They are also going back on 10th Jan instead of the 4th

No idea.

Public Health told us at work that track and trace contact a random sample number of people who test positive each day in different areas and ask where theyve been 48 priors to being positive and then ask the contacts. If theyve been near an area with a confirmed case or had contact with a confirmed case then they were treated as Omicron.

We had a member of staff test positive and because theres no cases in our area and none of their contacts had been near an area, it wasnt registered as the new variant
But what is a confirmed case? A definite we 100% know that's Omicron, or we've had a high number of positive cases and we know its more contagious so we think it's Omicron and will treat it as such?
'Random' doesn't fill you with confidence in the decisions their making does it

Reactions: 3
But what is a confirmed case? A definite we 100% know that's Omicron, or we've had a high number of positive cases and we know its more contagious so we think it's Omicron and will treat it as such?
'Random' doesn't fill you with confidence in the decisions their making does it
So those that travelled back to the UK from SA were confirmed as having omicron when they tested positive but obviously those people and their contacts didnt know. They then got in touch with them to find out their movements which is why last week they were asking anyone who was in that friend chicken shop in Essex between a certain time were to isolate because one of the contacts had been on there and had tested positive.

As it spread, any contacts to those positive areas and people were being asked to isolate for 10 days regardless of vaccine status to try and prevent it spreading further. They also looked at areas that had sudden spiked increases of positive cases and worked from that too.

We dont have any in the area and no reported cases so it's not here yet

So those that travelled back to the UK from SA were confirmed as having omicron when they tested positive but obviously those people and their contacts didnt know. They then got in touch with them to find out their movements which is why last week they were asking anyone who was in that friend chicken shop in Essex between a certain time were to isolate because one of the contacts had been on there and had tested positive.

As it spread, any contacts to those positive areas and people were being asked to isolate for 10 days regardless of vaccine status to try and prevent it spreading further. They also looked at areas that had sudden spiked increases of positive cases and worked from that too.

We dont have any in the area and no reported cases so it's not here yet
Brilliantly explained, thank you!

That makes perfect sense with tracing the initial people that were in contact with confirmed cases travellers.
As more and more people test positive though there seems no definite way of telling if its Omicron or Delta as Delta is still our main variant.
If they're actually able to tell the difference then fine, but if it's only done by tracing back that still doesn't seem accurate because you're basing it all on people's recollection.
I couldn't tell you all the places I've been a week ago accurately

I won’t go for a PCR now. It won’t be long til the whole uk has to isolate for 10 days with a positive household contact. Sod that disruption. We will do LFT and keep ourselves to ourself if we get a positive but the essentials, ie taking kids to school, will be done and im not having the whole house being captivated if one of us is Ill. No PCR= no record of it in the system = no isolation and disruption

• Wow
Reactions: 19
I quite like table service. I know it was a thing in days gone by, my mum likes to tell me when she was a barmaid thats what she did, all table service.

Even pre covid Id have opted for a bar with a tab / table service over queing up. You definitely spend more too, or I do 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Brilliantly explained, thank you!

That makes perfect sense with tracing the initial people that were in contact with confirmed cases travellers.
As more and more people test positive though there seems no definite way of telling if its Omicron or Delta as Delta is still our main variant.
If they're actually able to tell the difference then fine, but if it's only done by tracing back that still doesn't seem accurate because you're basing it all on people's recollection.
I couldn't tell you all the places I've been a week ago accurately
Of course they can tell the difference. How do you think the new variant was sequenced in the first place

But if you're out and about you're likely to pick up the virus you and your friends may test neg but if you're in a public space it doesn't mean there's no pos cases so defeats the purpose, if you wanted to keep family safe surely the best thing to do would be to isolate and test before visiting .
Not public spaces, going to peoples houses + stuff. And yeah I will test before visiting family but isolating for 10 days isn't really an option because I like having a life ;)

Not public spaces, going to peoples houses + stuff. And yeah I will test before visiting family but isolating for 10 days isn't really an option because I like having a life ;)
Why waste a test then if you’re not ill .Airborne viruses are everywhere .

Reactions: 8
Because I do not want to give my immunocompromised father a virus?
You've already stated that you didn't want to isolate so there's no way of knowing if you'll give it to him or not LFTs are not 100%

Reactions: 9
Of course they can tell the difference. How do you think the new variant was sequenced in the first place
To my understanding sequencing helps find the new variants and understand them.
To determine Omicron is harder as not all labs have the facilities to put it through the analysis they need to, which explains sudden jumps in certain parts of the country as they obviously have those labs.
I'd like to think that the people being told to isolate have actually been in contact with a confirmed case, and not just because there happen to be a high amount of cases and they're just assuming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.