Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But if masks were the wonderful things that people proclaim them to be then Germany wouldn’t be hit like they are, regardless of their extended lockdown.
They would because their vaccination rate is lower than most. We came out of lockdown in England in July so had three strong months of warm weather to build up immunity naturally whilst hospitals were at their most easy time of the year. It's worked out well for us. Germany and most of the EU on the otherhand kept a really long list of restrictions far too long and started relaxing things around the time flu season was here, so are now in a mess. The EU being in a bad way isn't anything to do with mandatory mask wearing not working.

Reactions: 4
Visiting a pub is completely unnecessary, but it's Xmas and people are going out because they can and for work do's, and why shouldn't they after no being able to last year.

They then go and visit their relatives, and so the circle of covid that has been pummeled into us begins again.

If it's that bad and they know so little then it either has to be all or nothing.
You also don't need to go near anyone in an air conditioned supermarket, but will sit shoulder to shoulder in a baking hot pub.

Make it make sense!
If people go into a crowded pub to sit shoulder to shoulder with drunk people and then go and visit vulnerable/elderly relatives - then I really wonder if they were living under a rock the past 18 months and haven't learned anything.

If people show no common sense / responsibility then I guess it is little wonder that the government introduces mandatory measures for everyone.

But if masks were the wonderful things that people proclaim them to be then Germany wouldn’t be hit like they are, regardless of their extended lockdown.
They had relaxed the rules on mask wearing for a few weeks

Reactions: 3
I just popped to Tesco and very little mask wearing. Be interesting to see how much that changes come Tuesday.

Reactions: 1
They had relaxed the rules on mask wearing for a few weeks and had a different approach to lockdown/restrictions and much lower vaccination rates.

A multiple of factors is at play, there is not just one thing that is the solution for everything.

What's more traumatic than a cloth on the face for a short travel journey or few minutes in a shop is if people don't do it, things get worse and instead even more restrictions we don't want have to be brought in.
This attitude is the problem though. You accept what you think is a “little” inconvenience, so worse ones won’t be brought in. When has that worked so far? Never. All that happens is you are actually paving the way for far worse inconveniences because you’ve opened the door of compliance. Once they know you will, they don’t stop. That’s why you have to start from the bottom to change things.

We are on 3 vaccines and passports now but we are still returning to masks and distancing. Where does it end? When we say it does.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I can see both sides and try to understand everyone's point of view. I understand that people are anxious about getting ill etc but I just don't understand when it stops? So we have masks now for the new variant and most people have 3 jabs. Then what, a lockdown for a new variant? Then another jab? And then there's another new strain from somewhere else so masks back on etc etc ....
Where will people who are backing the restrictions actually draw the line? Its been going on nearly 2 years now and I seem to remember at the time people saying oh its only for a few weeks!
thats the problem, you have people again saying, oh i don’t mind wearing a mask, its only for a few weeks until we can get over the ‘worst of it’ and then 1 year later we’re still wearing them. Its never just a ‘few weeks’

Reactions: 21
If people go into a crowded pub to sit shoulder to shoulder with drunk people and then go and visit vulnerable/elderly relatives - then I really wonder if they were living under a rock the past 18 months and haven't learned anything.

If people show no common sense / responsibility then I guess it is little wonder that the government introduces mandatory measures for everyone.
I'm sorry, but do you have any of this common sense you speak of?

With over 8 million over 70s in England, you're saying that everyone with an older relative shouldn't visit a pub or restaurant?
Also, sober people spread covid too you know 🙄

What about the 1/10 people who work in hospitality? They too can ever see their relative.. even if maybe they're a main carer?

Oh, and God forbid that wonderful Dr or nurse dares to meet a mate down the pub to let off some steam, and then go back to dealing with the vulnerable at work.

You do realise that care staff, nhs workers, social care staff, charities are all organising work nights out right?

You're saying that anyone who has any contact with older people must hide under your rock and just exist

Really?

Reactions: 16
thats the problem, you have people again saying, oh i don’t mind wearing a mask, its only for a few weeks until we can get over the ‘worst of it’ and then 1 year later we’re still wearing them. Its never just a ‘few weeks’
Because a global pandemic doesn't work this way.

Reactions: 2
I just popped to Tesco and very little mask wearing. Be interesting to see how much that changes come Tuesday.
I’ve already seen some independent retailers change to compulsory mask wearing today (to be fair quite a lot of independents near me never dropped it because they can’t afford to be closed/off sick).

They’re reporting like 30 odd cases a day. No deaths
.vaccines DO work.
Per 100,000 their cases are higher than the UK though. I'm in no doubt that vaccines do help with severe illness, but the OP was suggesting that low vaccine rates equalled high case rates, and thats just not true

With over 8 million over 70s in England, you're saying that everyone with an older relative shouldn't visit a pub or restaurant?

What about the 1/10 people who work in hospitality? They too can ever see their relative.. even if maybe they're a main carer?

Oh, and God forbid that wonderful Dr or nurse dares to meet a mate down the pub to let off some steam, and then go back to dealing with the vulnerable at work.

You do realise that care staff, nhs workers, social care staff, charities are all organising work nights out right?

You're saying that anyone who has any contact with older people must hide under your rock and just exist

Really?
Yes, I have lots of common sense.

And no, I did not say " that anyone who has any contact with older people must hide under your rock and just exist"

Please read my comment again or ask someone to explain it to you.

Reactions: 3

Really?
I can tell you now that nights out for nhs staff are being cancelled. No other sod will do it but we have to set the example.

• Heart
This attitude is the problem though. You accept what you think is a “little” inconvenience, so worse ones won’t be brought in. When has that worked so far? Never. All that happens is you are actually paving the way for far worse inconveniences because you’ve opened the door of compliance. Once they know you will, they don’t stop. That’s why you have to start from the bottom to change things.

We are on 3 vaccines and passports now but we are still returning to masks and distancing. Where does it end? When we say it does.
I am in England so thanks to Boris I have been able to live pretty normally with masks being optional and not having the dreaded vaccine passport. Hopefully in the next 3 weeks we see the latest variant is no more spreadable or lethal and then the mandatory mask wearing can be dropped before Christmas. It's been obvious since last year that Boris hates rules and doesn't put us under as many as Professor Doom and Professor Gloom would like him to. He puts in as little restrictions as possible to keep them a little happier. Same yesterday as I bet Whitty and Valance wanted mandatory masks in hospitality as well and WFH brought back.

I am in England so thanks to Boris I have been able to live pretty normally with masks being optional and not having the dreaded vaccine passport. Hopefully in the next 3 weeks we see the latest variant is no more spreadable or lethal and then the mandatory mask wearing can be dropped before Christmas. It's been obvious since last year that Boris hates rules and doesn't put us under as many as Professor Doom and Professor Gloom would like him to. He puts in as little restrictions as possible to keep them a little happier. Same yesterday as I bet Whitty and Valance wanted mandatory masks in hospitality as well and WFH brought back.

Good cop, bad cop.

I can tell you now that nights out for nhs staff are being cancelled. No other sod will do it but we have to set the example.
That sounds sensible, but it doesn't stop staff from still going out as they are allowed to do mask free.
There's still mixed messages and no sense being made

Reactions: 2
No, you're right you didn't. I sarcastically used your words and turned them back on you.

You seem unable to answer my rational common sense questions though. Do they need explaining by someone for you?
Tbf I read it the same way
If you have any involvement with the elderly or the vulnerable you shouldn’t be visiting any hospitality areas
So if you work in the care sector or look after relatives then shame on you for eating out or going to the pub

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.