Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Are you not concerned about getting infected or infecting others?
No. You can’t live your life in a sterile bubble. Viruses spread. We need to get out of this mindset that it’s avoidable, it isn’t. Shall we just go into lockdown for winter every year? It’s completely ridiculous. If you are worried, stay home.

Reactions: 18
I am less scared for myself, as I am pretty fit, but what if I were to transmit the virus to someone else who then becomes really ill?

This is my biggest worry, I also feel guilty for the nurses and doctors that died after catching it at work although I was never infected.
As much as I get the sentiment of this, realistically we are all more likely to be getting infected and infecting others right now with no restrictions than we are if they impose lockdown and we choose not to comply over Christmas so if we should feel any guilt then it should be felt now as it’s not like it’s not spreading now..

Otherwise it’s actually just guilt over breaking rules, rather than infecting others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
But you could catch the flu and transmit it to someone who then dies from it. It's not just covid that people die from yet we dont shield away from those viruses. Are people just supposed to live their lives in constant lockdowns and isolation because personally I'd rather not live at all if that's the case
I wouldn't be careless with the flu either, but the flue is a lot less deadly.

The pandemic will end eventually.
but it will end faster if there are less transmissions.

And I think we are still pretty comfortable, compared to the world wars for example.

Lockdowns suck, but it is a global pandemic after all.

Well, I actually do worry about transmitting other viruses and bugs, too.
If I am ill I stay at home, I thought everyone would do that?

But Covid isn't "just the flu", it is a lot more dangerous. Not just because it can kill but also because of long Covid.
The flu doesn't have the same effect.
The amount of people in public with hacking coughs, running nose, sneezing etc. is proof that not everyone does this.

Not everyone can take time off work or have support/provisions to not leave the house until they are fully recovered from a virus etc.

The point is covid isn't the only virus around. The common cold can kill. As can chest infections, stomach bugs etc. I know a healthy 19 year old who died following a chest infection. Her family aren't blaming the person she caught the cough from.

Covid deaths make up so few of the total deaths each day. We need to accept that it is just another cause of death now.

Reactions: 13
I wouldn't be careless with the flu either, but the flue is a lot less deadly.

The pandemic will end eventually.
but it will end faster if there are less transmissions.

And I think we are still pretty comfortable, compared to the world wars for example.

Lockdowns suck, but it is a global pandemic after all.
But covid isn't going anywhere. It's here to stay. Viruses mutate. It's what they do so we will never be a word without covid. We have to learn to live with it

Reactions: 8
As much as I get the sentiment of this, realistically we are all more likely to be getting infected and infecting others right now with no restrictions than we are if they impose lockdown and we don’t comply over Christmas so if we should feel any guilt then it should be felt now.

Otherwise it’s actually just guilt over breaking rules, rather than infecting others.
Yes, I see that point.

I guess that most people would argue that restrictions are being imposed at the right time and for good reasons.

Granted, with this government this might not be the case.

I guess I find it difficult if Covid is being compared with the flu - the flu has been around for ages and never caused problems at this scale nor were there travel restrictions / lockdowns / masks etc because of the flu.

This seems like comparing a leg amputation with bumping your knee or spraining your ankle. It is not the same.

My beautiful little sister died from the flu. It was heartbreaking but nobody is to blame

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
The amount of people in public with hacking coughs, running nose, sneezing etc. is proof that not everyone does this.

Not everyone can take time off work or have support/provisions to not leave the house until they are fully recovered from a virus etc.

The point is covid isn't the only virus around. The common cold can kill. As can chest infections, stomach bugs etc. I know a healthy 19 year old who died following a chest infection. Her family aren't blaming the person she caught the cough from.

Covid deaths make up so few of the total deaths each day. We need to accept that it is just another cause of death now.
But Covid is a lot more deadly. This is simply a fact.

If we accept that this is just another cause of death now, then we could also stop cancer research for example as cancer is also just another cause of death. I don't want to be difficult, but I don't understand the argument.
But covid isn't going anywhere. It's here to stay. Viruses mutate. It's what they do so we will never be a word without covid. We have to learn to live with it
But maybe restrictions are a way of "learning to live with it".
To minimise risk.

Or we need many more hospitals, as it is a fact that some operations did not go ahead due to too many Covid patients. This is not sustainable.

Reactions: 1
Yes, I see that point.

I guess that most people would argue that restrictions are being imposed at the right time and for good reasons.

Granted, with this government this might not be the case.

I guess I find it difficult if Covid is being compared with the flu - the flu has been around for ages and never caused problems at this scale nor were there travel restrictions / lockdowns / masks etc because of the flu.

This seems like comparing a leg amputation with bumping your knee or spraining your ankle. It is not the same.
But I guess if you’re saying you couldn’t break lockdown because you would feel so much guilt over potentially infecting people, then I would argue that you should only be doing essential things now without lockdown because your risk of infecting someone else is actually higher.

My point is the distinction between in lockdown and out of lockdown is just an imaginary line in the sand really. It’s really much safer to see family and friends when you’re not also going to the office/retail/theatre etc.

Reactions: 7
I can see them bringing in masks again, but not a full lockdown.

Chris Whitty has recently said he's unsure if the public would comply with a full lockdown.

But Covid is a lot more deadly. This is simply a fact.

If we accept that this is just another cause of death now, then we could also stop cancer research for example as cancer is also just another cause of death. I don't want to be difficult, but I don't understand the argument.

But maybe restrictions are a way of "learning to live with it".
To minimise risk.

Or we need many more hospitals, as it is a fact that some operations did not go ahead due to too many Covid patients. This is not sustainable.
Restrictions need to stop. I don't mind wearing a mask but that's where it should end. I didn't recieve any of my cancer treatment during lockdown. I'm supposed to get regular blood transfusions but yet I'm going weeks at a time without them. The hospitals excuse is covid but it's rubbish. My department is a cancer ward. It needs to reopen fully and start looking after the patients that are suffering and dying. There's more than just covid in this world

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Nope. In my job I see a lot of death certificates. Covid doesn’t scare me. The amount of cancer deaths i am seeing at the moment scares the tit out of me!
Do you think that some cancer patients received operations too late both this and last year due to lack of capacity in the hospitals?
But I guess if you’re saying you couldn’t break lockdown because you would feel so much guilt over potentially infecting people, then I would argue that you should only be doing essential things now without lockdown because your risk of infecting someone else is actually higher.

My point is the distinction between in lockdown and out of lockdown is just an imaginary line in the sand really. It’s really much safer to see family and friends when you’re not also going to the office/retail/theatre etc.
Yes, I can see how this makes sense.

I guess that the lockdowns are related to infection rates (as many go unnoticed) and if there is low infection the risk is lower, but if the infection rate is very high the lockdown is a protective measure.

Restrictions need to stop. I don't mind wearing a mask but that's where it should end. I didn't recieve any of my cancer treatment during lockdown. I'm supposed to get regular blood transfusions but yet I'm going weeks at a time without them. The hospitals excuse is covid but it's rubbish. My department is a cancer ward. It needs to reopen fully and start looking after the patients that are suffering and dying. There's more than just covid in this world
Sorry to hear you didn't get cancer treatment during lockdown. My Dad had chemo last year and that was before there was a vaccine - but we also heard from people in other areas who weren't offered treatment. I don't get why there's inconsistency.

Sorry to hear you didn't get cancer treatment during lockdown. My Dad had chemo last year and that was before there was a vaccine - but we also heard from people in other areas who weren't offered treatment. I don't get why there's inconsistency.
It's the same as the GP saga. It is a lottery.

Some people have said their GP has been doing face to face appointments for months. Whereas mine will still only do telephone and even then they say "it would help if I could see you face to face" but when you ask for a face to face appointment they refuse.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
But isn't this exactly the problem?

The Covid patients require so many resources, so there isn't enough staff etc left for other patients?

When Covid started there was no "Covid staff" and no dormant "Covid ward" - the doctors and nurses came from other wards and hence those wards were under-resourced.

Therefore there were only essential operations and many operations were delayed.

So if there are less Covid-Patients in hospital this means less disruption and better treatment for cancer and other patients.

Some people have said their GP has been doing face to face appointments for months. Whereas mine will still only do telephone and even then they say "it would help if I could see you face to face" but when you ask for a face to face appointment they refuse.
I had a weird area of skin on my breast last year. Called my gp and was asked to send a photo so they could determine if needed to be seen as breast clinic. Wasn't comfortable photographing my tit and emailing it 🤣

But isn't this exactly the problem?

The Covid patients require so many resources, so there isn't enough staff etc left for other patients?

When Covid started there was no "Covid staff" and no dormant "Covid ward" - the doctors and nurses came from other wards and hence those wards were under-resourced.

Therefore there were only essential operations and many operations were delayed.

So if there are less Covid-Patients in hospital this means less disruption and better treatment for cancer and other patients.
None of my cancer doctors or nurses were moved to the covid wards so why was I unable to recieve my treatment?

• Sad
Reactions: 4

Yeah my local GP practice has been doing face to face appointments for a while. You can even sometimes book non urgent F2F appointments on the NHS App.

None of my cancer doctors or nurses were moved to the covid wards so why was I unable to recieve my treatment?
Maybe some of their colleagues were moved and therefore your doctors/nurses had overall more patients?

Did they tell you why you didn't get treatment?

It is logical that due to Covid there were a lot less resources for other patients - the staff that treated Covid patients didnt just evaporate out of thin air, they were doing other things before

Yeah my local GP practice has been doing face to face appointments for a while. You can even sometimes book non urgent F2F appointments on the NHS App.
I wish mine were ☹

I managed to book a telephone appointment on the NHS app for a weeks time and thought that was a victory 🙄

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.