Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #106

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe some of their colleagues were moved and therefore your doctors/nurses had overall more patients?

Did they tell you why you didn't get treatment?

It is logical that due to Covid there were a lot less resources for other patients - the staff that treated Covid patients didnt just evaporate out of thin air, they were doing other things before
Yeah they just said due to covid. Not acceptable when you have a blood cancer disorder and bone marrow failure. Nobody should go without treatment. Thankfully I'm alive to tell the tale but there's many that aren't

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Yeah they just said due to covid. Not acceptable when you have a blood cancer disorder and bone marrow failure. Nobody should go without treatment. Thankfully I'm alive to tell the tale but there's many that aren't
But wouldn't this support the argument that it makes sense to try to restrict the transmissions of Covid?

I mean, the only other option - if we want to "learn to live with Covid" - is to employ more doctors and nurses (but these need to be trained first and also need to be paid).

How else can hospitals go back to full capacity?

Covid patients will always be seen as emergencies and consume resources - those resources will not be available for other treatments.

So in my view, if we allow the virus to transmit we need to accept that the hospitals might be under-resourced.
I don't see how we can have it both ways.

We are hypothesising about a scenario where hospitals become overwhelmed again which is the only scenario that justifies any lockdown, which given the current trajectory will only happen if the vaccine effectiveness is severely challenged by this new variant.

It also needs to be more transmissible than Delta otherwise delta will remain dominant. And it also needs to be as severe or more than the previous strains to cause the same level or more hospitalisations.

All of that is possible but no one knows at this stage, not even the scientists or politicians, until it’s been examined. It could literally turn out to be a nothing variant like a few of them have before for all we know 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 7
We are hypothesising about a scenario where hospitals become overwhelmed again which is the only scenario that justifies any lockdown, which given the current trajectory will only happen if the vaccine effectiveness is severely challenged by this new variant.

It also needs to be more transmissible than Delta otherwise delta will remain dominant. And it also needs to be as severe or more than the previous strains to cause the same level or more hospitalisations.

All of that is possible but no one knows at this stage, not even the scientists or politicians, until it’s been examined. It could literally turn out to be a nothing variant like a few of them have before for all we know 🤷🏻‍♀️
Hospitals are overwhelmed every year without COVID because they are barely fit for purpose as is. The solution can’t be to just keep imprisoning people in their homes every winter.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Boris' news conference is to start "shortly". I assume they didn't announce a time because he'd be late.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Hospitals are overwhelmed every year without COVID because they are barely fit for purpose as is. The solution can’t be to just keep imprisoning people in their homes every winter.
I agree, but we are talking about a higher level than usual if a new variant were so ‘new’ as it were that we were essentially back in March 2020 (which I doubt will happen, but people are acting like it is a sure thing 🙄).

Twitter are absolute salivating so I think some have just missed the drama at this point and will be absolutely gutted if a lockdown doesn’t come to fruition.

Reactions: 1

Yes, could be.

Well, for me it is untenable to not offer treatment, especially cancer treatment, to everybody.
South Africa literally has better health care than this.

I have never read about that many cancelled treatments or telephone appointments in any winter prior to Covid.

Yes, hospitals need to be improved - but how and with what money?

So PCR on day 2 when anyone arrives in the UK and isolation until a negative result. Contacts of omicron positive to isolate for 10 days whether vaccinated or not.

He said we need to tighten up on wearing face coverings but didn’t say they are now legally required? Not sure on that one.

Potentially all lifted in 3 weeks once review done.

Reactions: 2
I’ve poured myself a drink and am watching an update - feeling very 2020 right now 💁🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 15
No change for me then; I've been wearing my mask in crowded places (e.g. shops) anyway.

Glad I had my booster before the rush that will follow.

Confusing as there currently are no rules to tighten? It’s advisory? Still nothing saying it will be legally required and BBC seem confused and unable to write that it is legally required legally also…

5F3FF7B4-1723-4A97-97F4-0E36B633C2C5.jpeg

Reactions: 1
It’s just a nightmare isn’t it. So fed up of it all. Il wear a mask and get my booster when called but will be seeing family over Xmas as not isolating me and my kid again.
Got a glass of Prosecco with the briefing it’s so nostalgic 🥂

• Heart
Reactions: 11
hmmm someone just asked and it seems it’s mandatory in shops and on public transport.

No mention of pubs or restaurants though. Apparently health secretary to clarify over next 24 hours.

Masks I can deal with especially over the winter months. Let's hope that's as far as restrictions go

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.