Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #105

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I won’t be wearing a mask again. They mess up my skin and I don’t care if that’s selfish.
I’m double jabbed, I can’t spread a disease I don’t have. I don’t get close enough to anyone to pass it on via my breath.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
Does that include handmade face masks from etsy, Ebay and those bought from high street shops?

I can see the benefits of wearing medical grade filtered and made to fit masks which are changed after each use, worn properly and handled correctly.

I struggle to see how a 50p face mask from Primark worn around the chin, below the nose and swung fron a wrist and scrunched in a pocket even offers any solution.
In the abstract summary it reads the following:

"Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies."

Therefore yes. But you probably have to wear them properly. Which I do, but many people don't.

It's a statistics game, if you breath out 1 million particles every breath for instance but a bad mask stops 50% of those particles getting out then that's still lowering the abundance of particles in the air.

It is not a golden bullet that will elimanate the virus but clearly if it even stops spread by 10% it is quite a good thing. Don't expect why people think that it's one thing which will stop the spread when it is clearly a conjunction of various thing - vaccines, social distancing, working from home, mask wearing that together.,

It is like when people were complaining gyms were shut. "It's only 4% of the cases why do gyms have to shut when schools are 7% of the cases and pubs are 6%!". Well Einstein it is because if you add up all of those percentages you get to 100% so you have to chose the ones which make a big impact.

I’m double jabbed, I can’t spread a disease I don’t have.
Now this here is complete ignorance of science and vaccinations.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

"Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies."

Therefore yes. But you probably have to wear them properly. Which I do, but many people don't.

It's a statistics game, if you breath out 1 million particles every breath for instance but a bad mask stops 50% of those particles getting out then that's still lowering the abundance of particles in the air.

It is not a golden bullet that will elimanate the virus but clearly if it even stops spread by 10% it is quite a good thing. Don't expect why people think that it's one thing which will stop the spread when it is clearly a conjunction of various thing - vaccines, social distancing, working from home, mask wearing that together.,

It is like when people were complaining gyms were shut. "It's only 4% of the cases why do gyms have to shut when schools are 7% of the cases and pubs are 6%!". Well Einstein it is because if you add up all of those percentages you get to 100% so you have to chose the ones which make a big impact.

Please explain my ignorance

Please explain my ignorance
Double vaccination does not mean you can't catch COVID, and does not mean that you can't spread it. Makes that stuff more challenging for the virus and drastically decreases your risk of hospitalisation and death but it does not make you immune.

Reactions: 4
Double vaccination does not mean you can't catch COVID, and does not mean that you can't spread it. Makes that stuff more challenging for the virus and drastically decreases your risk of hospitalisation and death but it does not make you immune.
Never said it doesn’t mean I can’t catch it. You’ve read my post wrong.
The probability of me catching Covid is small. The probability of me passing that onto someone in a shop is even smaller. Why would I wear a mask to prevent me spreading a disease that I do not have. It’s like insisting my OH wear condoms to prevent STIs when we are both clean.

Never said it doesn’t mean I can’t catch it. You’ve read my post wrong.
The probability of me catching Covid is small. The probability of me passing that onto someone in a shop is even smaller. Why would I wear a mask to prevent me spreading a disease that I do not have. It’s like insisting my OH wear condoms to prevent STIs when we are both clean.
You literally said " I’m double jabbed, I can’t spread a disease I don’t have. ". If you do not want people to take your statements at face value then you should explain that so that people do not assume ignorance in statements that sound ignorant.

Additionally STIs are not an airborne disease. COVID is.

• Haha
You literally said " I’m double jabbed, I can’t spread a disease I don’t have. ". If you do not want people to take your statements at face value then you should explain that so that people do not assume ignorance in statements that sound ignorant.

It’s airborne. Not born out of thin air. You have to be infected to pass it on. Again, my chances of having it are minute. I am double jabbed so even if I do have it and have no symptoms there is a reduced chance I pass it on.
I won’t be masking up to prevent the transmission of a disease I do not have.

It’s airborne. Not born out of thin air. You have to be infected to pass it on. Again, my chances of having it are minute. I am double jabbed so even if I do have it and have no symptoms there is a reduced chance I pass it on.
I won’t be masking up to prevent the transmission of a disease I do not have.
While I agree with most of your sentiments, vaccinated people can and do pass on the Coronavirus and as many people have previously provided data to show - largely to the same extent as unvaccinated people. Except the difference is, unvaccinated people have to automatically isolate when there is any suspicion of COVID whereas vaccinated people do not unless they directly test positive. So actually, this is no doubt spreading the virus at a far higher rate than those of us staying at home, who are already a tiny minority. The attitude that "i'm vaccinated so disease free and can't spread it" is one of the fundamental failings of this vaccine campaign.

Your chances of having it aren't minute, your chances of getting super sick from it are minute. Well, that's if you believe their data in the first place.

Reactions: 9

How do you wear a mass produced cloth face mask properly and a disposable mask properly when leave gaps all around face where they should be fitted?

I'd say it's a high percentage of the general public that wear a mask incorrectly.

I dont know anyone who

Doesnt touch the mask area over the nose and mouth

Doesnt slide it down to their chin when talking

Doesnt put a clean one on after touching it or removing it

Doesnt store it correctly when being used

Doesnt wash it frequently if at all

At work, I would need 20 masks a day if used correctly, some workers would need 36 and that's only in a childcare setting. There are people who use that same mask for a whole week.

Reactions: 7
I had the first 2 jabs because I was terrified of getting covid (CEV)
I've turned down my 3rd dose. My reasons being, I am less scared now, and the 3rd dose is Pfizer whereas my first two were Oxford AZ and I'm not confident in the idea of mixing vaccines, nor am I fully informed regarding MRNA vaccines.
Are you male or female, and how old? From what I've heard and read, Pfizer is fine for older people and women. The main worry about young people with Pfizer is the myocarditis issue, which is still rare. I am a 33 year old male, and I had pfizer with no issues. My uncle (70) had Pfizer, was fine. The rest of my family had AZ and were fine, including my aunt who is 69, my dad who is 75, my female cousins (both late 30s) and my male nephew who is 23. My sister is 53 and had AZ, no issues. I know everyone is different, but if my dad is offered Pfizer as a booster, he'll take that.

Reactions: 1
How do you wear a mass produced cloth face mask properly and a disposable mask properly when leave gaps all around face where they should be fitted?

I'd say it's a high percentage of the general public that wear a mask incorrectly.

I dont know anyone who

Doesnt touch the mask area over the nose and mouth

Doesnt slide it down to their chin when talking

Doesnt put a clean one on after touching it or removing it

Doesnt store it correctly when being used

Doesnt wash it frequently if at all

At work, I would need 20 masks a day if used correctly, some workers would need 36 and that's only in a childcare setting. There are people who use that same mask for a whole week.
My coworker is *super* paranoid about COVID, is one of those people who is fully convinced anyone who gets it will die and everyone else has somehow managed to just be lucky and not catch it, is double vaxxed and unbelievably analy retentive about people being even within 5 metres of her, looks like you are going to murder her if you sneeze etc & 100% believes wearing a mask saves your life.

Yet has worn the same mask for the past 6 months, hasn't washed it once and leaves it in the storage bin for cleaning materials at work in our staff toilet.

Make it make sense!?

• Haha

Maybe try not creating words or insinuations that are not there and read what was actually typed.
They did not say that they couldn't pass covid on IF infected or that they wouldn't take measure to prevent passing it on. Saying they don't get close enough to pass it on to anyone suggests social distancing in publicfrom my perspective and for some of us doing so is enough for us to ensure we protect others is asymptomatic.
Of course I am not suggesting this is what the poster says but trying to show that how you view the post impacts on how you perceive and understand it.

My coworker is *super* paranoid about COVID, is one of those people who is fully convinced anyone who gets it will die and everyone else has somehow managed to just be lucky and not catch it, is double vaxxed and unbelievably analy retentive about people being even within 5 metres of her, looks like you are going to murder her if you sneeze etc & 100% believes wearing a mask saves your life.

Yet has worn the same mask for the past 6 months, hasn't washed it once and leaves it in the storage bin for cleaning materials at work in our staff toilet.

Make it make sense!?
Virtue signalling behaviour, not fear

The op is just saying that they don't have covid and therefore can't pass it on .

It is people who have caught covid who can pass it on , not all people.

India celebrates 1 billion doses of the vaccine. Vaccinated more than the population of Europe. Amazing.

In comparison to their population which is nearly double that of Europe they aren't doing as well as you think. And the official statistics provided by the Indian government sit at around 25% lower than what they claim in the media and only 36% of the population are fully vaccinated

Attachments

Reactions: 1
I'm torn about my booster only for the simple fact that I developed blood clots after my second vaccine and suffered from a mini stroke. I have a blood cancer disorder so we will never know if this would've happened even if I hadn't had the vaccine but there's a part of me that is absolutely terrified that the vaccine caused it. I really don't know what to do

• Sad
Fed up of seeing people in comment sections going “they should bring back masks and social distancing, it’s nO bIg DeALLLLL” Erm, okay for you to say that Karen I’m sure no one wants to stand without 6 feet of you anyway. Try telling that to the hundreds of businesses that went under last year because they just couldn’t operate under SD laws.

Reactions: 13
I've just been to the docs for some bloods.
I was passed a letter from the receptionist which was so passive aggressive its actually funny.

Rough translate - the government want us to telephone triage everybody before seeing them, we need to rely on locums to actually see you and there are none out there so basically we want to help you but we can't so ring if you need help and wait 7-10 working days (approx) for a reply but hey that's still quicker than needing to see a GP that we don't have. So good luck over winter and we will see you in 2022 if you survive

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I've just been to the docs for some bloods.
I was passed a letter from the receptionist which was so passive aggressive its actually funny.

Rough translate - the government want us to telephone triage everybody before seeing them, we need to rely on locums to actually see you and there are none out there so basically we want to help you but we can't so ring if you need help and wait 7-10 working days (approx) for a reply but hey that's still quicker than needing to see a GP that we don't have. So good luck over winter and we will see you in 2022 if you survive
Soooooo what happened to the 10 million? Billion? That they've just been handed from the state? 🧐

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.