Coronavirus Disease Outbreak COVID-19 #101

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another day of cases and deaths going up. We are starring to see the result of society opening again as we have to accept deaths.

In January when we had roughly this number of cases we hit 1000 deaths a day. This is not the same. You just have to look at the full site for the data. We aren’t not on 1000 deaths a day and probably won’t go back to that unless the cases rocket again. Whether people like or not the vaccine is clearly doing something.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
In January when we had roughly this number of cases we hit 1000 deaths a day. This is not the same. You just have to look at the full site for the data. We aren’t not on 1000 deaths a day and probably won’t go back to that unless the cases rocket again. Whether people like or not the vaccine is clearly doing something.
Same goes for the number of people in hospital. We had thousands of people going in every day early on in the year, but this is not the case again as the vaccines are doing their job.

Reactions: 1
F9DFFCB3-5DE6-49CA-8422-4049277AD0F6.jpeg

Actual deaths as dated and not reported. The media likes to make it look horrific. Any death is awful. I’m not making light, but it’s not quite as scary as the media wants us to think it is.

Reactions: 5
The virus is more widespread now than it was this time last year.
Sorry I included the wrong screenshots in my last post - I’ll include the whole U.K in this post (previous post was Northern Ireland only) but still shows there’s less deaths, that was 6 months into the pandemic and I think eat out to help out if memory serves me well.
3DF42F74-7052-4CDA-A5B3-D046B96FCA71.jpeg
D082FAD9-3135-4480-9099-A5D6BD2A7D00.jpeg

The virus is more widespread now than it was this time last year.
And that was the original virus, not the Kent or the Delta, both of which are more infectious and spread more easily. We cannot compare last august to this year with entirely different virus behaviour. If we had the original virus only and the case numbers and deaths then I’d say we are screwed but given the Delta is dominant but deaths and hospital numbers are not rocketing, we are not in as bad a place as the media wants us to be.

Reactions: 2
Sorry I included the wrong screenshots in my last post - I’ll include the whole U.K in this post (previous post was Northern Ireland only) but still shows there’s less deaths, that was 6 months into the pandemic and I think eat out to help out if memory serves me well. View attachment 701886View attachment 701887
Cases this time last year were also under 1k a day though. Indoor restaurants and rule of 6 only opened on 07/07/2020 so it had been less than a month. Prior than that it had all been outdoors. Not to mention everyone was actually distancing because they were still worried. You can’t really compare the 2…

041E549C-020C-43EA-A565-B71617763689.jpeg

And that was the original virus, not the Kent or the Delta, both of which are more infectious and spread more easily. We cannot compare last august to this year with entirely different virus behaviour. If we had the original virus only and the case numbers and deaths then I’d say we are screwed but given the Delta is dominant but deaths and hospital numbers are not rocketing, we are not in as bad a place as the media wants us to be.
Well if the scientists have said the vaccine doesn’t prevent transmission of delta and the more deadly variants then it’s a non argument to suggest the numbers are down because of the vaccine but simultaneously say it’s not the same virus going around I.e the one the vaccine was made for.

Looking at the year it looks like the virus behaves like a flu in the sense that it is more prevalent in the winter months and the data supports that if you look at all the peaks.

Cases this time last year were also under 1k a day though. Indoor restaurants and rule of 6 only opened on 07/07/2020 so it had been less than a month. Prior than that it had all been outdoors. Not to mention everyone was actually distancing because they were still worried. You can’t really compare the 2…

View attachment 701916
It takes 2-3 weeks for changes to be seen so a month is ample. Besides if you look at the data the didn’t begin to rise up again until October/November so that’s a weak argument.

• Haha
The difference this year is we have the vaccines and that is why deaths and hospitalisations are not following the same trend as the cases.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Sorry I included the wrong screenshots in my last post - I’ll include the whole U.K in this post (previous post was Northern Ireland only) but still shows there’s less deaths, that was 6 months into the pandemic and I think eat out to help out if memory serves me well. View attachment 701886View attachment 701887
A lot of things are different this year than they were last year. Cases were not as prevalent as the virus is now much more widespread. The only difference is that we have the vaccines.

The same vaccines that the science confirms doesn’t stop transmission of those variants you’re both referring to 🤪
Let’s not get into a conversation about our dear old friend, the vaccine! 😅

A lot of things are different this year than they were last year. Cases were not as prevalent as the virus is now much more widespread. The only difference is that we have the vaccines.

Let’s not get into a conversation about our dear old friend, the vaccine! 😅
You just mentioned the only thing different is the vaccine. Yet you don’t want to converse about it?! I like discussing it and everything else related to covid, that’s why I’m here.

You just mentioned the only thing different is the vaccine. Yet you don’t want to converse about it?! I like discussing it and everything else related to covid, that’s why I’m here.
As in the vaccines are helping to reduce the number of deaths and people ending up in hospital which is clear from the numbers. I am happy to converse about it but don’t want to get into an argument as this happens way too often on these threads.

Reactions: 4
I don’t really get how people can argue the vaccine isn’t working when cases are so high and deaths so low. It’s bizarre. It’s clearly helping in keeping the death and hospitalisation rate lower despite large daily case figures…. I don’t get how that’s a difficult concept to grasp 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I don’t really get how people can argue the vaccine isn’t working when cases are so high and deaths so low. It’s bizarre. It’s clearly helping in keeping the death and hospitalisation rate lower despite large daily case figures…. I don’t get how that’s a difficult concept to grasp 😅
This. 👏🏻 I’ve said it so many times, I am boring myself. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 12
As in the vaccines are helping to reduce the number of deaths and people ending up in hospital which is clear from the numbers. I am happy to converse about it but don’t want to get into an argument as this happens way too often on these threads.
That’s great I’m not looking to argue either not sure why anyone would be it’s inappropriate.

What I don’t understand from is if you (and others above) have mentioned that the stats I’ve shown are irrelevant because the virus has changed and is more deadly strains/variants to the original virus, then why is the vaccine which was developed based on the virus that was in circulation last year, being given credit for low deaths/cases when science has confirmed the vaccine doesn’t reduce transmission for the new strains. For all we know the cases were higher last year we weren’t testing half as many people as we do now.

I think the vaccine helps protect vulnerable people with weakened immune systems or pre existing health conditions which affects their ability to form a natural immune response. I think the vaccine is effective for those who would also be offered the flu vaccine so typically would include over 50s and anyone vulnerable. I think the vaccines are unnecessary for anyone who is in good health.

That’s great I’m not looking to argue either not sure why anyone would be it’s inappropriate.

What I don’t understand from is if you (and others above) have mentioned that the stats I’ve shown are irrelevant because the virus has changed and is more deadly strains/variants to the original virus, then why is the vaccine which was developed based on the virus that was in circulation last year, being given credit for low deaths/cases when science has confirmed the vaccine doesn’t reduce transmission for the new strains. For all we know the cases were higher last year we weren’t testing half as many people as we do now.
Because the vaccine is still somewhat effective in protecting against death and severe illness even against the new variants. I am by no means an expert but it is clear to me that vaccines are contributing in the way they were intended to.

• Haha
Have you got a source for this? Everything I’ve read tells me the opposite. I’ve only read it’s effective against the original variants.
For example, a study conducted by Public Health England found that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 88% effective against symptomatic disease caused by the delta variant (people vaccinated were 88% less likely to develop symptomatic infection compared to people who were unvaccinated), compared with about 93% effective against the alpha variant, the previous dominant variant. That study found that the two-dose AstraZeneca vaccine was 60% effective against the delta variant, compared with 66% against the alpha variant.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.