Constance Marten and Mark Gordon Case #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know what I think about coercive control. What mg did was awful, but it was 20 years ago, he has served his time and hasn't been in trouble since (that I'm aware of, please correct me if I'm wrong)

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I don't know what I think about coercive control. What mg did was awful, but it was 20 years ago, he has served his time and hasn't been in trouble since (that I'm aware of, please correct me if I'm wrong)
He was deported back to the UK in 2010 when he was released from 20 years in prison in the US, and he and CM were in a relationship since 2016. There’s six years there where it’s not clear what he was doing, whether he was living his life out of trouble, whether he was in trouble for petty crimes, or whether he was just not caught.

Once he met CM, she was perfect for him - the money available to her, potential vulnerabilities in terms of mental health and her history.

The fact she has alienated herself from (or been alienated from) her family and friends since then shows (IMO) that there was coercion there. Then he doesn’t need to be in trouble because he has everything he needs - her to do whatever he needs, and her money to provide the rest.

Just my opinion of course, and I hope that I’m wrong. All this time in that sort of relationship is hell so I hope CM hasn’t been enduring that.

ETA the fact he was only 14 when he committed his crimes makes it so much more likely that he would grow into an adult likely to do the same, or similar. To be capable of that at such a young age is horrific.

My eldest child is 15 and there is no way he could act that way (thank goodness). There’s also absolutely no way I could stand by him if he did. Unless there were extreme mitigating factors that meant he wasn’t in control of his actions - like psychosis or similar.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Did you see a local funeral director offered to pay for a service and burial for baby Victoria.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31
Did you see a local funeral director offered to pay for a service and burial for baby Victoria.
It's a lovely gesture it really is.
But the aristocrat family have more than enough money to pay for it I'd have thought.

Reactions: 23
Children's funerals are paid for by the government. If you wanted lots of extra things for a child's funeral then that may not get covered by what the government pays for.
This was discussed a lot in the Archie Battersbee threads because of their Go Grift Me money.

Reactions: 13
He was deported back to the UK in 2010 when he was released from 20 years in prison in the US, and he and CM were in a relationship since 2016. There’s six years there where it’s not clear what he was doing, whether he was living his life out of trouble, whether he was in trouble for petty crimes, or whether he was just not caught.

Once he met CM, she was perfect for him - the money available to her, potential vulnerabilities in terms of mental health and her history.

The fact she has alienated herself from (or been alienated from) her family and friends since then shows (IMO) that there was coercion there. Then he doesn’t need to be in trouble because he has everything he needs - her to do whatever he needs, and her money to provide the rest.

Just my opinion of course, and I hope that I’m wrong. All this time in that sort of relationship is hell so I hope CM hasn’t been enduring that.

ETA the fact he was only 14 when he committed his crimes makes it so much more likely that he would grow into an adult likely to do the same, or similar. To be capable of that at such a young age is horrific.

My eldest child is 15 and there is no way he could act that way (thank goodness). There’s also absolutely no way I could stand by him if he did. Unless there were extreme mitigating factors that meant he wasn’t in control of his actions - like psychosis or similar.
Surely she could choose to alienate herself from her family without there being a coercive control element? If she has a history of MH issues then there will be psychiatric history which will come out in due course. Presumably she has not thought twice about getting pregnant repeatedly and rebelling against The System because that's her right and she considers herself untouchable? Mummy and Daddy serve a purpose after all.

Reactions: 4
I think the nappies are a moot point here. Where people tend to get confused about them being loving parents is the presence of Nappies in the first place (and the stroller they had at one point). Both of those things indicate that they were actively changing and "taking care of" a live baby. The word "care" in this case seems to be interchangeable with "love" for most people which is a natural assumption when using such language. However, you may provide "care" to someone but not necessarily show "love" (for example in the context of healthcare).

As we have seen, they "cared" enough to provide basics in life and to then carefully wrap her in a bag after death, but there was little to no love for this baby shown when they dumped her in a shed, chucked some unopened nappies on top of her and then refused to tell the police where she was when they got caught.
I agree with most of what you say, but ‘care’ including wrapping her ‘carefully’ in a plastic bag.
Sorry to be blunt but they, more likely, put her in a plastic bag as she was (sorry) starting to stink to the high heavens.
More care or love would be evident if they’d got her medical attention when she needed it.

• Sad
Reactions: 11

I'm not giving him a pass. Just want to make that clear, but given that he committed his crime 20 years ago, has been free for 13 and to our knowledge hasn't committed any more (I'm sure daily mail have been searching for info on this 🙄) I'm interested to see why people believe it's coercive control.
Is there 3 other kids? B, d and c (going off the initials she uses) were they all his? All the pics seem to be from 2020 and there doesn't look like a big age gap.
Honestly don't know what I'd do if one of my son's committed this crime at 14! 14 year olds are still babies!

Reactions: 5
I agree with most of what you say, but ‘care’ including wrapping her ‘carefully’ in a plastic bag.
Sorry to be blunt but they, more likely, put her in a plastic bag as she was (sorry) starting to stink to the high heavens.
More care or love would be evident if they’d got her medical attention when she needed it.
Don't get me wrong, having worked in a Mortuary I am not naïve at all to the cruel nature of child neglecters. I wanted to get across that people seem to envision CM sobbing as she gently placed the baby girl in amongst some blankets dressed in her best and delicately curled the bag around her when in reality (not overly graphic but I know some people won't like the thought)....
she was probably thrown in the bottom of a sack and lobbed into the shed so they didn't have to deal with her anymore, with the heavy nappy pack dumped on top stop the bag unfurling .

• Sad
Reactions: 15
I’ve definitely said something along the lines of I think they kept the baby close to them through a deliberate choice, because one of both (likely CM) couldn’t leave her.
It could be that, but equally it could be because they knew as long as the baby’s body was concealed where they were living, it couldn’t be discovered. And if it couldn’t be discovered, they couldn’t get into serious trouble for causing her death.

So, an act of love or an act of self-preservation?

Reactions: 16
Surely she could choose to alienate herself from her family without there being a coercive control element?
Yes of course she could, but my comment was just my opinion in reply to a post about coercive control.
It’s been widely reported that her friends considered it out of the ordinary for her to isolate herself like that too.

Presumably she has not thought twice about getting pregnant repeatedly and rebelling against The System because that's her right and she considers herself untouchable? Mummy and Daddy serve a purpose after all.
That’s an assumption which you’re free to make.

I don’t think fleeing on foot from a burning car having just given birth shows that someone thinks they’re untouchable. I think it shows desperation or fear.
---
I'm not giving him a pass. Just want to make that clear, but given that he committed his crime 20 years ago, has been free for 13 and to our knowledge hasn't committed any more (I'm sure daily mail have been searching for info on this 🙄) I'm interested to see why people believe it's coercive control.
Is there 3 other kids? B, d and c (going off the initials she uses) were they all his? All the pics seem to be from 2020 and there doesn't look like a big age gap.
Honestly don't know what I'd do if one of my son's committed this crime at 14! 14 year olds are still babies!
I don’t necessarily believe it is definitely coercive control, but I think there’s a strong possibility and expect it to be an angle that’s explored during the trial.

Young, rich, beautiful but somewhat naive and vulnerable woman, who has had a troubled upbringing (father’s MH crisis) and own trauma (cult) meets older man who apparently adores her and becomes very quickly her whole world to the point that she no longer sees her friends or family. Life becomes chaotic but still the relationship continues. She believes he needs her and she can’t live without him. Together they’re okay. They just need each other. No one else would understand. That’s what he tells her, and that’s what she truly believes because he’s done it so cleverly and for so long. (I’m not specifically meaning CM and MG of course but in general with CC situation)

When he was arrested, her concern was for him, not herself.
In the dock she was fixated on him. Desperate for his attention and to show him her adoration.

I agree with the fact his crimes were a long time ago. If it were petty theft or something like that I’d feel differently but what he did was horrific.

I can’t work the other kids out, although I haven’t looked at their pictures other than what was shared here. I wouldn’t read too much into the dates they were shared on fb, she may have been given photos of them at that point but they might not have been recent (is it called letterbox contact?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
It could be that, but equally it could be because they knew as long as the baby’s body was concealed where they were living, it couldn’t be discovered. And if it couldn’t be discovered, they couldn’t get into serious trouble for causing her death.

So, an act of love or an act of self-preservation?
I’d have thought the best way to conceal the baby would be to put her as far away as possible from where they were living, preferably tampered with in a way that would make it impossible to ascertain whose child she was and what her cause of death was on the off chance she was found. Their initial technique of travelling a lot seemed to be working well for them, I wonder why they stopped.

Then again, my logic is probably different from that of an aristocrat who goes on the run with a convicted sex offender.

Reactions: 5
Anybody seen this? Daily fail I’m afraid so take it with a pinch of salt.
That sounds horrific, but you have to ask questions about why she would join a cult like this?

Cults always prey on vulnerable people who are often at a crossroads in their lives, are idealistic and possibly think the cult will provide them with some answers to a spiritual void.

Reactions: 8
Don't get me wrong, having worked in a Mortuary I am not naïve at all to the cruel nature of child neglecters. I wanted to get across that people seem to envision CM sobbing as she gently placed the baby girl in amongst some blankets dressed in her best and delicately curled the bag around her when in reality (not overly graphic but I know some people won't like the thought)....
she was probably thrown in the bottom of a sack and lobbed into the shed so they didn't have to deal with her anymore, with the heavy nappy pack dumped on top stop the bag unfurling .
I think this is a great example of why I’m keeping an open mind to all possibilities. I’d much prefer for as long as I can to think that CM wanted the baby with her and that’s why they stopped moving around and why the body was where it was.

There’s no logical reason to keep the baby’s body close to them if they wanted to avoid evidence being found (not that there’s any logical reason for any of what they did)

Reactions: 7
That sounds horrific, but you have to ask questions about why she would join a cult like this?

Cults always prey on vulnerable people who are often at a crossroads in their lives, are idealistic and possibly think the cult will provide them with some answers to a spiritual void.
Not that this fully explains it, but just some additional info: she is/was a Christian, and apparently that’s how she found out about said ‘church.’ One of her friends said she fell in love with the cult leader and that she was very prone to being overly attached/making poor decisions when in love.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Not that this fully explains it, but just some additional info: she is/was a Christian, and apparently that’s how she found out about said ‘church.’ One of her friends said she fell in love with the cult leader and that she was very prone to being overly attached/making poor decisions when in love.
Possibly very impulsive when in a manic phase…

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.