Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

neroli

VIP Member
I wonder how many of Marten's fans would let their baby/child spend any time in her "care"? It's easy to follow the pack and post sympathetically online but past history and having 4 older children removed speaks volumes. This pair aren't victims of a cruel system. They are a toxic nightmare in terms of defiant reproduction.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

whitershadeofpale

It may be too soon to look at it this way but my opinion based on the limited reporting that we had was that the prosecution over complicated things. I don’t think there was compelling evidence that the dates of birth/ death that CM and MG gave were wrong and I don’t think all of the stuff about Co-sleeping was that relevant. I think a more streamlined argument that they behaved recklessly despite knowing the risks would have led to a guilty verdict. Even if the prosecution had agreed that Victoria was smothered rather than froze, it still could have been argued that that was totally foreseeable and as a result of her parents’ neglect.
---
With Letby though, the charges were all on different crimes (babies ❤) so I think each one was standalone in effect.

This time all the charges were the same crime. I don’t know if that makes a difference.
Good point. In that case I’m not sure.

• Heart
  • Sad

Haveyouanywool

VIP Member
Let’s hope they are re-tried, and have a jury who can all concentrate on the things they are ment to be concentrating on.

How can babyVictoria get justice now? That’s what everyone hoped for😭 I hope those vile toxic creatures aren’t allowed to just walk away, it’s awful

gimmethattea

Chatty Member
Not the news I would have wanted (I wanted them guilty of everything without a retrial) but I think is the best outcome and although it's a long wait until march, when Victoria hopefully gets her justice, it's time where she cannot get pregnant again whilst in Custody.

sebanna

VIP Member
She’ll be on the run with another baby by this time next year.
If only they would learn. If they could accept Victoria's death was their fault and decide not procreate again. However this result will make them think their actions were justified all alone.

windowlickinggood

My feeling is that the prosecution were too specific in their version of events. There was no specific cause of death therefore it feels to me that had they run with the theory that simply by them being on the run, avoiding medical input, not having a safe and warm environment for the baby, THAT led to the baby’s death. Feels more convincing to me. And to say that co-sleeping is not in and of itself dangerous but that the way in which they slept with the baby was dangerous. And if they had been in more suitable accommodation with proper beds and warmth this whole situation would have been avoided. That their arrogance and self-importance was their priority not the safety of their newborn child.

• Sad

Tofino

VIP Member
What’s frustrating is the possibility there might have only been two jurors who disagreed or were unsure, and the two that couldn’t continue were firmly guilty. I know there can be other variations and I suppose they can’t just let a whole trial collapse if one juror leaves, but it bothers me that the outcome may have been different based purely on circumstances of courts (delays)/juror availability.

bluecups

VIP Member
They so need to be punished especially CM she had lots of options much more than the average joe. Most wealthy people if they cba parenting get a nanny then boarding school she's already had 4 children removed with all the resources she had she's feckless they both need prison . I wonder why her family didn't take the children? Are they racist ?
Most people especially that level of wealth would see having relatives taken into care as shameful.
RIP Victoria x
I don't think so. IIRC Constance's brother married a black woman who was welcomed into the family. I reckon they - quite rightly - objected to Gordon because of his criminal record.

I personally think the alleged potential abuse of her older child offers great insight into why CM and MG made the decision that they did. I do not agree with it one bit of course but to have your child removed from you and placed into an abusive situation must be absolute torture.
Of course neither of these two have any insight as to the fact they are also abusers but I can see how the jury got stuck on this point.
Coupled with the fact that social work is not a respected field like say the NHS is I can see why the jury couldn't agree.
We can all sit and say well they shouldn't be thinking of that yadda yadda yadda but you can't dismiss thoughts from your head. CM bought it up and she shouldn't have been able to ramble on as much as she did.
The fact still remains that they were given ample opportunities to make change and get their children back from wherever they were allegedly abused. There is either a whole lot more to the story that we haven’t been told, or they’re just selfish horrible people who shouldn’t be parents because they prioritised their own lifestyle and relationship above the safety of their children. Your child should come first, even if it means you give up your partner and accept bundles of help from authorities. The standards are really not that high for keeping families together, you just have to demonstrate you can keep them safe and meet their basic needs, even if support is needed to achieve this.
I’m just speculating here but I wonder if they are claiming to be persecuted for having exposed some major failings of SS with regards to abusive carers and cover ups. It’s the only thing that could make it make sense to me, whether it’s true or not. It would explain why she rambled on so much and was told not to bring it up in regards to this case.

• Heart

SELdnGal

I agree. The bones of CM testiomy may well have been correct. She went to sleep with the baby breastfeeding under the thick coat and woke to find she had accidentally suffocated her. However it wasn't an unforseen accident and Victoria was permanently at risk as her baby's ran from the authorities which would have kept her safe.
Exactly, I think the jury may have been confused that they had to agree with CPS version of events, but it didn't matter whether Victoria died of hypothermia OR suffocation, both were neglectful. She wasn't cosleeping in a bed having mitigated the risks, she had her in her thick coat while she sat upright in a TENT. Likewise all the stuff about when she was born - it really didn't matter. It was all just noise.

• Heart

whitershadeofpale

I tried doing a search does anyone know if the other 4 charges they reached a verdict on would be dismissed because they couldn’t reach on the 5th or will they be sentenced on the 4 and then decide on retrial
If they reached a verdict on some charges then they should stand. It’s like the Letby case where one charge couldn’t be decided so there’s a retrial just on that one.

feistyoneanddone

When the news broke Sky News were clear that the jury had been unable to reach any verdicts on any of the charges and the emphasis was on “any”.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16

Kittycat86

The problem with a retrial is, will it result in the same outcome based on the same evidence given?
Will they be able to find a non bias jury that hasn’t already taken a keen interest in all the news headlines about it and formed an opinion before they walk in to offer a fair trial which could lead to an appeal?

They’ve spent almost 18months or close to that on remand, that’s almost half of the full sentence they were likely to be given if acquitted of murder and found guilty of negligence.
Everybody knows release is almost always half the sentence served.
These are the arguments that CPS will have to consider when looking at a retrial.

Is it worth spending more public funding on another trial when it’s not scientifically clear how she died then end up in another hung jury and dismissal which will be even more clownery.

The lovebirds clearly are at fault for the babies death but at what extent? Nobody truly knows other than themselves what happened in that tent and that’s where it’s a grey area.
A lot of evidence was redacted from public consumption so a lot of what is public has been interpreted with feelings.

It’s sickening that they are likely to walk free but the best outcome is licence for both and some sort of sentence for charges already agreed on.

• Sad

Haveyouanywool

VIP Member
Thank goodness they were found guilty on 2 charges, it would be hard to figure out why they couldn’t be, considering the Judge’s direction.
Thank goodness they’re being retried too, but please, please don’t let CM be allowed to bang on about Yurts and Western Norms. I’ve heard more than enough of that, thanks.

Last edited:
  • Heart

sebanna

VIP Member
It may be too soon to look at it this way but my opinion based on the limited reporting that we had was that the prosecution over complicated things. I don’t think there was compelling evidence that the dates of birth/ death that CM and MG gave were wrong and I don’t think all of the stuff about Co-sleeping was that relevant. I think a more streamlined argument that they behaved recklessly despite knowing the risks would have led to a guilty verdict. Even if the prosecution had agreed that Victoria was smothered rather than froze, it still could have been argued that that was totally foreseeable and as a result of her parents’ neglect.
---

Good point. In that case I’m not sure.
I agree. The bones of CM testiomy may well have been correct. She went to sleep with the baby breastfeeding under the thick coat and woke to find she had accidentally suffocated her. However it wasn't an unforseen accident and Victoria was permanently at risk as her baby's ran from the authorities which would have kept her safe.

Says on ITV prosecutors to decide “if” they will prosecute again 😳 so they could possibly walk out hand in hand completely free? She will be pregnant next month, so basically free to kill again 😭
I think there’s a good chance they won’t decide to go again. Unless they can really pull themselves together and get a judge and counsel who can just focus on this trial and set a realistic time scale they’re going to do it all again for the exact same result I’d imagine. And CM and MG’s lawyers are going to be alllll over whether it’s possible for them to have an unbiased jury next time given the podcast etc.

ETA: to me it sounds like they’ve not reached a verdict on anything. When LL’s finished they reported straight away they’d convicted her on X counts but couldn’t reach a verdict on the others so it was discharged. No mention of any of that in any of the coverage I’ve seen of this so my assumption is they didn’t get to a verdict on anything.

• Sad
  • Wow

liv123456

I’m still completely perplexed by the outcome. I’m really bloody hoping they go for a re trial because if they get off from this, how many others will run away from social services and end up killing their child? This case really needs to set a precedent to others who think their actions were okay
They killed Victoria through their shitty actions. I hope they suffer every day knowing she would still be alive now if she was in care. They are absolute scum.

• Heart

sebanna

VIP Member
Phew, that's a relief, I was worried they were going to release them. Bet CM and MG are fuming.