Constance Marten and Mark Gordon #10

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know there are things we may not understand in play causing the delays, but it's so frustrating.

How is a jury meant to remember and retain all the information and who said what and how they said it when it's all so stop/start and won't it give them excuse to say it hasn't been a fair trial because of this. And what about those poor jurors, who no doubt have had plans cancelled, jobs to work around, childcare to sort.

Maybe it's my age and me as a person, but I find myself becoming more and more in shock at the way we run things in this country.

Reactions: 28
I wonder if the judge has been summing up the evidence relating to the older children and that's why there's been no reporting?

Reactions: 7
It's so annoying. How are the jury meant to follow the evidence when it's so stop start.
That's part of Connie's Grand Plan. Put a spoke in the wheels of British justice with endless waffle and delaying tactics. No one messes with the Hon Con and Flash Gordon.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
That's part of Connie's Grand Plan. Put a spoke in the wheels of British justice with endless waffle and delaying tactics. No one messes with the Hon Constance.
She's trying and failing to play a game.
CM thinks she's better than anyone and because of who she is the evil witch thinks she'll get a pat on the head from the jury and off she'll go

Reactions: 12
She's trying and failing to play a game.
CM thinks she's better than anyone and because of who she is the evil witch thinks she'll get a pat on the head from the jury and off she'll go
She's probably banking on an offer for a regular column in "Parenting" magazine (if that still exists!!)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
The way Caroline says ‘buggy’ on the Trial podcast gets me every time, sorry. I know it’s immature, but I always hear ‘boogie’ and it puts an entirely different spin on what she’s saying.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
By the time this trial ends there won't be any point in sentencing them because they'll already have served it 🫠
This is sad but true. Despite the horrible nature of the crimes I doubt they will get long sentences (hope I’m proved wrong), the defence’s case has mostly been paving the way for mitigation imho.
I think it’s terrible to have a long break right in the middle of the judge’s summing up. Frustrating and disrespectful of the job the judge is doing, and making it harder for the jury to keep their thoughts and reactions fresh in their minds. I remember in the LL trial the jury asked for a copy of the summing up and were told “no” 😳

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 18
This is sad but true. Despite the horrible nature of the crimes I doubt they will get long sentences (hope I’m proved wrong), the defence’s case has mostly been paving the way for mitigation imho.
I think it’s terrible to have a long break right in the middle of the judge’s summing up. Frustrating and disrespectful of the job the judge is doing, and making it harder for the jury to keep their thoughts and reactions fresh in their minds. I remember in the LL trial the jury asked for a copy of the summing up and were told “no” 😳
You do wonder how the jury are supposed to follow it all? Are they not supposed to look at the court reporting online? With the judge's summing up being given over three weeks it's so hard for them.

Reactions: 8
Are they not supposed to look at the court reporting online?
I don’t think they’re allowed to look at anything at all outside of what’s provided to them in court. Too much risk of being influenced if they look elsewhere.

Reactions: 8
I did jury service a year ago and we were actively encouraged to take notes throughout - basically they said at the start we would get a lot of information and wouldn't always be able to hear it again so if we thought something sounded important we should write it down. It was only three days long but I took about five or six pages of notes because a lot of it was very technical. We also had printed copies of things like the agreed facts and what the charges were so we didn't have to remember those.

You do wonder how the jury are supposed to follow it all? Are they not supposed to look at the court reporting online? With the judge's summing up being given over three weeks it's so hard for them.

Reactions: 14
I heard on one of the pods when they are deliberating there’s a computer and they are given a microchip that contains all the cctv videos and other evidence, but with regards to the summing up I’m not sure if this is recorded on the chip
But yes difficult for them to keep track and wade through all of the waffle

Reactions: 7
I'm appalled that this is still ongoing. I've dipped in and out of the thread but am genuinely horrified for these poor jurors.

Reactions: 12
You can take notes and you get hand outs with timelines, cctv images etc on. Mind you, it was only when we started deliberating that it became clear at least one jury member hadn't taken any notes at all over the 2-3 weeks, and another had such a poor grasp of English that he hadn't understood a lot of the evidence. We also had a little old racist OAP from Romford who was thick as mince, whinged non-stop, and needed a fag every half an hour, which meant we all had to traipse out and stand out the back with her.

It was painful. Took 3 or 4 days to agree on our verdict because of one juror who kept getting cold feet. I was so excited to have been called, but I'm so, so pleased I've been excused from doing it again.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 26