Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BR006

M&S are joining in the banter now on Twitter.

Be prepared for M&S dropping this action. The public don't care and we know very well what we're buying and where we're buying it from.

I don't think I'd walk in Aldi and pick up a Caterpillar cake and be surprised it wasn't an M&S Colin one!!

Aldi need to start on Peter Pigs and really get M&S going πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚
They do Leo lions and they are actually better than Percy pigs πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆ

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I spat out my drink 🀣🀣🀣🀣

Are ye not in the UK or Ireland?
I am also from the UK too, but for almost 30 years (I'm 29 now) my parents have always bought our birthday cakes from the same family bakery in Golders Green ( Carmelli's ). The last one we ordered. My best memories as a kid include running straight to the fridge first thing in the morning the next day for left over cake.

1618727431703.png

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16

Yel

Chatty Member
They are a huge multinational company that have made a business model out of taking the successful products of others, copying it to be almost indistinguishable and selling it
To be honest that could be said for m&s who have been accused of nabbing things from smaller producers to recreate in their own brand.

I think most people are on the side of Aldi as m&s come across as an out of touch bully wanting to deny people the ability to buy a cake at 3/5th of the price. Aldi are offering choice, m&s are trying to limit choice.

Aldi won't get what's coming to them, at worst they'll have to pay legal fees and told to stop selling the cake unless they change the design (use a different chocolate mold for the face and problem solved!).

But if they continue with the court action they'll keep giving publicity. Aldi will probably bring out a butterfly cake that could become iconic if they're smart.

It will probably join coke and their Peckham spring water amongst the great lessons in marketing.

Reactions: 15

sdmilne

Why do M&S = Tories? Honestly the hive mind seems to run no deeper than "Aldi sell cheap shit, so they must be the goodies."

Reactions: 14

Yel

Chatty Member
What could get interesting is all the brand's that have haven't had a good time dealing with M&S piling on. Only brewdog chipping in so far

Thanks for the drama marks and snitches πŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: 13

BigMavis

VIP Member
Could it be all a massive incognito sales drive with both parties agreeing to this little performance?
Now, thats a conspiracy I could bite Into.
But why? Logistics, distance, luck of the draw?
Colin caterpillar sweeties used to be lovely, different colour, they changed them.
ETA: cunts

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

Yel

Chatty Member
Good. Perfectly put. Well done m&s.

(now start using less plastic so I can enjoy the salad pots without eco guilt.)

Reactions: 12

Rbarb-bkini

I voted for Aldi purely because I don't agree with how M&S went about this. I can't say I've ever tried Cuthbert.

I will say even before all this, Colin the Caterpillar was being hailed as an icon of British culture. But, ngl, I think he is overrated. Don't get me wrong I've had a slice of Colin in the past, but as a cake lover, it would not be my cake of choice for a celebration.

I also agree with others that sure, Aldi really push it with ripping stuff off, but coming for Cuthbert was not the one! Pick your battles M&S and don't sue a supermarket for a generic caterpillar chocolate roll that was a thing way before you started selling Colin πŸ˜‚

Cocoflowers

VIP Member
Am i the only one that has never had of these ever πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The hashtag on twitter the last few days has had me in stitches πŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Wow

Yel

Chatty Member
Only Asda and Waitrose have responded.

I think someone from Mcmillan messed up tweeting their support for Aldi's hashtag, then a few hours later they tried to remedy and posted to thank Colin and m&s.

Screenshot_20210421-085757_Twitter.jpg

Awkward.
Dl1soheWsAAzRdl.jpg

iMarkup_20210421_090253.jpg

M&S are playing the slow game. They know Aldi is being a little bitch and this year's Colin charity cake they'll subtly mention how they've been doing it for a long time.

• Wow

sdmilne

I voted for Aldi because I've never shopped in m&s for food 😱 I remember i stayed over at some guys house and his mum awkwardly popped her head in and asked if I wanted a butty. I said yeah cos I was starving! She made me a butty with some m&s chicken on 🀣 it was fit tbh. That's the only time I can recall having m&s food. I'm more loyal to Aldi, also getting massive bully vibes from m&s considering all the other retailers have caterpillar cakes but they want to pick on aldi πŸ˜‚

They would be bullies if Aldi weren't the bigger company. Aldi want you to think they are the little company being bullied but that simply isn't true. The reason they have gone after Aldi and no other shops is because the Aldi cake is shying away from being a generic catterpillar cake and clearly designed to essentially be the M&S one at a cheaper price.

coconochanel

VIP Member
Its the same as any other generic store bought chocolate cake, but it is nice/average with a dollop of cream and a cuppa. It has chocolate going for it which is always a winner!
The fact they are made in the same factory says it all. Same product just slightly different design and packaging, like most products.

Yel

Chatty Member
There's loads of the Tesco Curly the caterpillar here in Kent, but who the fuck wants a chocolate cake with a slab of bright orange fondant on the front? πŸ’©

• Haha
Reactions: 11