Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sdmilne

I find it bizarre that M&S are being seen at the villains in all of this. Aldi aren't some poor little company being bullied by someone much bigger. They are a huge multinational company that have made a business model out of taking the successful products of others, copying it to be almost indistinguishable and selling it for cheaper. I hope they finally get what's coming to them. I would imagine a lot of the hate for M&S is inverse snobbery as of course the middle class shop HAS to be the baddies and the place that sells cheap food to low income families have to be the goodies.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

WilmaHun

VIP Member
All this is making me want to do is eat a chocolate caterpillar and I really couldn't care which shop it's from

• Haha
Reactions: 20

BigMavis

VIP Member
Some solutions I've seen suggest giving Cuthbert wings and turning him into a butterfly.

• Haha
Reactions: 19

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Its probably because the face is practically identical, but other supermarkets have been ripping off Colin for longer. It does seem weird that suddenly they are bothered about Cuthbert. M&S probably thought they’d get unwavering support since Colin is a ‘British icon’ I guess? Turns out we care more about taste and price point, who gives a shit about Colin😂

All the cakes are probably made in the same factory anyway, just like so many other products. Does it reallly matter that much? I doubt m&s will go out of business because aldi sell a certain type of cake that happens to be similar to theirs. Competition is the name of the game surely.

edit: bit of a generalisation but has anyone else noticed how people on #teamcuthbert are taking it as a joke and laughing about it, where as people on #teamcolin are talking like it’s a super serious issue for the most part? 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 19

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
the shit thing about M&S and their lawsuit is their attempt to make it look like cushbert if effecting their fundraising for MacMillan.
just own it, you’re pissed, you’re a dying “brand” who’s lost appeal to most (especially since the pandemic has effected people’s spending habits) and you’re pissed, it’s nothing to do with charity.

but aside from that the best thing to come out of this is the updated cushbert jail box that now says “serves 12 years” 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

Bellaboo83

VIP Member
Imagine M&S going after Aldi about a cake, a law suit they've been told they're unlikely to win because the two products cause no confusion to consumers. Risking all that money on an unnecessary legal battle when they've just had to make so many staff redundant because they can't afford to pay them 🤔, risking all that money when the staff in their stores are going off sick because of the pressure being put on them because they can't afford to staff stores properly.... Hmmm. Hoping it's a PR stunt.

BigMavis

VIP Member
Its the height of ridiculousness, exactly what was required this weekend. Thank you!

• Haha
  • Heart

BigMavis

VIP Member
I'm failing to see the difference between Cecil, Wiggles, Colin and Cuthbert. I mean its very very slight, I definitely wouldn't be certain of the murderer in an identity parade situation.

• Haha
Reactions: 17

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Here you go ... look at the comments underneath 😂 (Just realised it's a parody account but it's been quite funny - In fact it's so good I'm surprised M&S haven't taken them to court)

• Haha

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long for someone to sue a supermarket over brand ripoff though, given how blatant some of them are.
Aldi have been at it for years, so many own brand products that are a blatant rip off of big name brands.

It's about time somebody slapped Aldi down for it. I'm just not sure M&S doing it over the Caterpillar cake is going to achieve the slapping down.

Yel

Chatty Member
M&S made themselves look like dicks!
Marketing masterclass! 🙌
M&S have sure shown everyone that calls them out of touch dinosaurs 😶

I wouldn't miss them if they went to be honest. All that plastic they use puts me off as well as appointing terrible brand ambassadors like Rochelle off of The Saturdays.

L3moning

VIP Member
I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long for someone to sue a supermarket over brand ripoff though, given how blatant some of them are.

Reactions: 16

Yel

Chatty Member
Aldi have been at it for years, so many own brand products that are a blatant rip off of big name brands.
I don't think there's much walkers can do about sprinters crisps or mars can do about titan bars because anyone buying those is fully aware they're buying an own brand. Although they do sail very close to the wind.

If the M&S cake and Aldi cake are made in the same factory and the main difference is one is significantly cheaper it's going to do wonders for Aldi sales and the legal fees will be so much less even if ruled against than it would have cost for all this advertising.

M&S didn't invent the cake, most likely they were the first to mass produce. It feels like they fell for the trap Aldi set by using a very similar chocolate face 😆

Reactions: 16