Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Antonina

Chatty Member
There’s a thread on selfish mother on here - I find her incredibly privileged and tone dead, like when Russia invited Ukraine and she used that to flog some peace related SM jumpers. She did really well with her business initially but again it was all for privileged middle class folks and as soon as the new fad died, so did her business. Stopping donating to charity was a big mistake, it was her USP.

The other Instanum “trend” I noticed at the time was having the third child - I bet some of them did think about remaining relevant as the eldest were growing. I don’t think it’s total coincidence that DLAM, SM, Budget Clemmie, Steph Dont Buy Her Flowers had a third baby at the height of their IG success. It certainly helped with the brand.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I still can’t believe how MOD messed up so massively 😱She was the queen bee and could get any freebie, work with any company she wanted, literally print money 😱 & she threw it all away!!

hattie20

VIP Member
I just had a watch too. Something that struck me is when they're talking about the 'instamum' community and about how much they've all made friends and found their people. They made it sound like it was some welcome, open community but we all know that it was reserved for middle class mums with big followings. There's not a chance in hell they would have welcomed me in with open arms. I'd be stuck in the 'bleak' maternity leave that budget Clemmie had before she had a big following.

Oh yeah, it was only for those who’s faces fit.

Middle class, privately educated women with London houses, who could afford multiple holidays, festivals (and all the sequins to go with them), and ski trips. And let’s be honest, they only friends for what they could do for each other.

They all met via those “Mothers Meetings”, it was all a business transaction from the start. They were in the right place at the right time and some like MOD, absolutely milked it for all it was worth.

It all seemed quite toxic looking back.

As an aside - I’ve just found the Mothers Meeting youtube channel and good lord, there are some clangers on there! The useless panels talking utter shit with MP and MOD trying to look sincere!

(Don’t judge me, my 2 years old has just come out in Chicken pox and all she wants to do is nap on me, I’ve got a lot of time on my hands!)

Last edited:

Rosieee

VIP Member
Fair play to them if they can get that much for it now - pretty sure it was on for a lot less previously. (although when I say fair play, I mean fair play to the inherited privilege and mediocrity that can get you that far).
Mind boggling to me that they currently own two extremely expensive properties and doing a major expensive reno on one of them.
And let's not forget that they were "bankrupt" a couple of years ago. She cried all about it like she was on the streets. I honestly have nothing against people born with money, they just got lucky. The one thing that REALLY annoys me tough is when they try to pretend they have money problems when the biggest problem they are facing is just a bit of dignity loss asking their parents to flush them.

• Heart
  • Haha

Maria1

Chatty Member
Maybe not go to France on a camping holiday just before you move and spend the money on moving, you know, like the rest of us would have to do.
I'm pleased nobody 'kindly gifted' their services.

• Haha

Wolf359

Chatty Member
It must’ve been super tough for them when they had their third kid and had to decide whether to buy a new car or just spend £1.5k on a triple car seat.

• Haha

barryjones

VIP Member
Yeah I feel like her ‘niche’ if you could call it that, has died a death. People are bored of seeing talentless undeserving people getting free shit all the time. (I know influencers are v much still a thing but the middle aged white middle class mums market is just so done).

Not to mention the majority of people in this country are currently struggling to pay their energy bills, fill their cars with fuel and are still dealing with pandemic issues. It’s all a bit crass seeing the Clemmies etc expect free shit just cos they bought a house they can’t really afford.

I hope everyone shuns them all.

• Heart

Exhaustednurse

VIP Member
I have gone down a rabbit hole of those days. 2017-18 was real insta mum, south London, trainers with midi skirt peak time wasn’t it?

• Haha

Wolf359

Chatty Member
Looking back it was all so damaging to normal women, this was a time when they were doing constant undeclared ads and you always felt you weren’t good or cool enough - in fact they’re just a bunch of try-hards, like Budget Clemmie long boarding in Peckham, the festivals as if it was Woodstock etc. And don’t get me started on “adult headache”!
I had a new born at the time and was so vulnerable to all that shit. I seriously was going to drop £200 I didn’t have on one of those Sleepy Head things. Luckily I came to my senses and figured out it was all a fucking pyramid scam to sell undeclared tat to new mothers with PND.

• Heart

Libertine

VIP Member
I have gone down a rabbit hole of those days. 2017-18 was real insta mum, south London, trainers with midi skirt peak time wasn’t it?
And a slogan sweater.

It peaked in 2018 but started to die off after the Clemmie Hooper Tattle Scandal (not to be confused with the Clemmie Telford Heirloom Scandal, which involved leaving valuable family heirloom rings in an unlocked car 🙄).

Covid really was the deathknell of the #RealInstaMumma. They couldn’t do their gratuitous breakfasts, gifted festivals or free holidays.

#devastated

• Haha

hattie20

VIP Member
When did MOD move out there? 2018?
Yes, it was quite the thing to move out that way and buy a big house to be insufferable in.

Our Clem missed the boat by miles though. No free bathrooms so she has to do budget ones that look like the haunted one in Hogwarts.

Last edited:
  • Haha

I drink lemon juice

I just had a watch too. Something that struck me is when they're talking about the 'instamum' community and about how much they've all made friends and found their people. They made it sound like it was some welcome, open community but we all know that it was reserved for middle class mums with big followings. There's not a chance in hell they would have welcomed me in with open arms. I'd be stuck in the 'bleak' maternity leave that budget Clemmie had before she had a big following.

Reactions: 14

Mustard

VIP Member
It’s right on the coast and it says the two nearest schools are outstanding.
We had a holiday in Dorset a few years ago and loved the area, admittedly not much in Broadstairs but other places like Lyme Regis are nice. It’s also a real foodie area with great restaurants River Cottage is nearby. I’m from the north so places like that are quite appealing to me.😀
Lyme Regis is not near Broadstairs. They are at least 200 miles apart.

Antonina

Chatty Member
Also if it weren’t for Tattle those bitches would be still out there flogging overpriced “cool” stuff to new mothers, taking advantage of a period of huge vulnerability

SharkAttack

VIP Member
So pleased to have found this thread. I always wondered how on earth Clemmie made it into the influencers B list with so little star quality (that’ll be none).

It really feels like that wave of mum influencers had had its day. All of them were giddy with their own PR and grasping, grasping, grasping.

I’ve no idea what’s next but am glad to have seen the back of them.

• Haha

skronkywildcat

VIP Member
I think Selfish Mother lost it when they stoped donating a percentage of every top to charity. That was their USP and they dropped it!

maytoseptember

VIP Member
Who on Earth invited Clemmie to speak at a careers fair 😭😂
Wow, what would her advice be? Be rich, have a posh name and a private education, and you too could have a semi-successful influencer career even if you can’t be arsed to proof read anything?

• Haha
  • Heart