Clear braces

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wow that’s quite a significant change in plan! Is this your first ever lot of orthodontics (eg no braces as a teen?). Try not to worry, I had 4 teeth out as a kid pre braces and think that was a pretty standard situation. I then had 2 wisdom teeth out as an adult. Tooth removals are vvvv easy, I went to Nando’s after my wisdom teeth came out! Good luck x
It is a massive change isnt it! Fortunately it's not the first time I'm having a tooth out. I had an operation as a child on my canine tooth, to remove it from inside my gum where it had got stuck and was growing sideways. They created a socket for it and transplanted it into it's correct position. I then had fixed braces for six months. I've also had one wisdom tooth removed.

As an adult my immune system started rejecting the transplanted tooth and the root resorped so I ended up at the Dental Hospital having thw tooth removed and an implant done, which failed. I've now got a bridge. All the has treatment really messed my bite up and my bottom jaw juts out intermittently which is quite painful.

I have a lot of trust in the dentist doing my braces. She really seems to know her stuff. Visually the results with the tooth removed are much better and you can't really see my bottom teeth when I smile so I'm hoping it will all be OK.

She said that ideally the hypodontia would have been recognised when I was younger as then I could have had the corresponding two premolars at the bottom removed which would have solved a lot of the problems.

Interestingly over the last few days I've realised it's genetic because my mum, brother and two of my children are also missing the same teeth. Everyone else in the family has the correct number of teeth.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hey guys what are your best cleaning tips for invisalign? I just completed my first set of trays with no problems, however by the end of the two weeks they were pretty discolored despite the fact I only drank water with them in and was very meticulous about cleaning them and brushing my teeth. My dentist told me to wash them with a pH neutral soap and to soak them in the Invisalign crystals solution a couple of times a week but I feel like the soap just isn’t strong enough and grime ended up building up…

Hey guys what are your best cleaning tips for invisalign? I just completed my first set of trays with no problems, however by the end of the two weeks they were pretty discolored despite the fact I only drank water with them in and was very meticulous about cleaning them and brushing my teeth. My dentist told me to wash them with a pH neutral soap and to soak them in the Invisalign crystals solution a couple of times a week but I feel like the soap just isn’t strong enough and grime ended up building up…
I really recommend an ultrasonic cleaner! Mine was about £20 from Amazon and I put my invisalign in there with a retainer cleaning tablet while I have my evening meal. I figured that after Invisalign I'll be wearing a retainer for the rest of my life so it's well worth the money.

Another trick is not letting them dry out, if possible. So if I'm at home I keep my aligners in water with half a retainer brite tablet while I'm eating. If I'm out and about and have to put them in their case then I make sure I give them a brush/ use the ultrasonic cleaner later.

Also hi, I've not posted on this thread before 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I used Retainer Brite tablets. Popped my trays in a cup of water in the morning whilst I ate breakfast and brushed my teeth so I went out with them freshly cleaned. It takes about 20 minutes for the tablet to stop fizzing if I recall so could do before bed too.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’ve just had a quote of 3.7k. It includes any composite bonds after, fixed retainers and 3 sets of retainers. Im so excited to get them!

Guys I’m having a late night freak out!

I’ve been wearing my final aligners for about 2/3 months now 😳 I’ve had the attachments removed in early Feb and have just had to keep re-arranging the appts since because of work and being a mum 😳 anyway I’ve just noticed a piece of plastic that’s lifted where the retainer must have been scratched and in looking at that with my iPhone torch I’ve noticed quite a few cracks in the back teeth where I must clench my teeth in the night?! Please tell me the actual retainers are stronger than this?! 😬 I don’t get them for 2 weeks but I’m half tempted to ask to nip into the dentists before to pick them up, or is it not worth the bother is this fine?!

I just got them on Amazon

Guys I’m having a late night freak out!

I’ve been wearing my final aligners for about 2/3 months now 😳 I’ve had the attachments removed in early Feb and have just had to keep re-arranging the appts since because of work and being a mum 😳 anyway I’ve just noticed a piece of plastic that’s lifted where the retainer must have been scratched and in looking at that with my iPhone torch I’ve noticed quite a few cracks in the back teeth where I must clench my teeth in the night?! Please tell me the actual retainers are stronger than this?! 😬 I don’t get them for 2 weeks but I’m half tempted to ask to nip into the dentists before to pick them up, or is it not worth the bother is this fine?!
The overnight retainers you mean? They are definitely less flimsy than the Invisalign aligners but if yours are ripped/cracked I was told this is usually because of the way you’re putting them in and taking them out. Could also be your teeth clenching as you say. Not that surprising if you’ve been wearing the same set for so long though. I’ve had my overnight retainer for about 3 years and it’s still in good life condition (only wear it about once a week now).

• Heart
Has anyone else here had Invisalign/orthodontics due to a bit issue that developed after getting braces the first time? Asking because I had braces as a teenager, about 10 years ago and since then I've been pretty diligent at wearing my clear retainer every night. So aesthetically my teeth look great. However, I've recently noticed a change in bite and am wondering if this is due to the fact that my retainer doesn't cover the wisdom teeth that came in at the back, which I didn't have at the time of getting them off.

At first (3-4 months) ago I just noticed that my back molars would sort of 'hit' and clank each other and now chewing feels kind of off. When I'm not eating or speaking I don't have any teeth/mouth/jaw issues but I struggle to eat certain food now - e.g pasta or salad, it feels like I can't properly bite or tear through my food. I've noticed that when I bite down there's a bit of a gap, like a slight open bite. Not as dramatic as many of the pics on google but it's making eating feel like a total chore - teeth just end up clanking against each other and I fear I'm going to choke as I can't seem to chew efficiently/teeth don't seem to meet. I've come across a couple of articles in the literature and orthos on realself suggesting that a retainer that doesn't provide coverage to all can result in wisdom teeth overerupting and creating an anterior open bite. Now I'm wondering whether that is the situation I've got myself into.

Booked myself an appt with my ortho but earliest available is June - feeling kind of demoralised as I've been pretty conscientious with my retainer over time and never really realised this could be an issue. I have no issues with the way my teeth look, but the bite issue is getting me done -especially the eating difficulties. Pretty nervous about my appointment as well.

Has anyone else here had Invisalign/orthodontics due to a bit issue that developed after getting braces the first time? Asking because I had braces as a teenager, about 10 years ago and since then I've been pretty diligent at wearing my clear retainer every night. So aesthetically my teeth look great. However, I've recently noticed a change in bite and am wondering if this is due to the fact that my retainer doesn't cover the wisdom teeth that came in at the back, which I didn't have at the time of getting them off.

At first (3-4 months) ago I just noticed that my back molars would sort of 'hit' and clank each other and now chewing feels kind of off. When I'm not eating or speaking I don't have any teeth/mouth/jaw issues but I struggle to eat certain food now - e.g pasta or salad, it feels like I can't properly bite or tear through my food. I've noticed that when I bite down there's a bit of a gap, like a slight open bite. Not as dramatic as many of the pics on google but it's making eating feel like a total chore - teeth just end up clanking against each other and I fear I'm going to choke as I can't seem to chew efficiently/teeth don't seem to meet. I've come across a couple of articles in the literature and orthos on realself suggesting that a retainer that doesn't provide coverage to all can result in wisdom teeth overerupting and creating an anterior open bite. Now I'm wondering whether that is the situation I've got myself into.

Booked myself an appt with my ortho but earliest available is June - feeling kind of demoralised as I've been pretty conscientious with my retainer over time and never really realised this could be an issue. I have no issues with the way my teeth look, but the bite issue is getting me done -especially the eating difficulties. Pretty nervous about my appointment as well.
If you had braces as a kid, it could be that your jaw has grown over time as you’ve got older and that’s why you’ve developed a bite issue.
I’m currently doing invisalign for a bite issue which developed as a result of having wisdom teeth removed. I had the same issue as you and ended up with a chipped bottom front tooth due to my teeth smashing together, I’ve got invisalign now and it’s really good, but June is a really long time to wait… is there no way you could go to a different orthodontist?

Reactions: 3
If you had braces as a kid, it could be that your jaw has grown over time as you’ve got older and that’s why you’ve developed a bite issue.
I’m currently doing invisalign for a bite issue which developed as a result of having wisdom teeth removed. I had the same issue as you and ended up with a chipped bottom front tooth due to my teeth smashing together, I’ve got invisalign now and it’s really good, but June is a really long time to wait… is there no way you could go to a different orthodontist?
Yeah, it's a bit of wait which is unfortunate. The main reason I booked was it's the same ortho practice I went to initially and is the top-rated practice in my city but I could always look into other practices. I'm grateful I don't have any kind of TMJ/pain but the eating thing is a bit of a bummer, so I'm gravitating towards 'easier' foods in the meantime. And gosh, the chipped tooth must have been so exasperating and I can imagine it's easily done - it's definitely the weirdest feeling when you're eating and your bite and teeth feel so off - I do notice after eating that my teeth do tend to ache a bit purely from the clacking together. I will actually say one of the things that weirdly bothers me most is swallowing pills - I can feel them swirling round in my mouth and knocking against the back teeth and I am terrified I'm going to knock them down my airway one day.

How long is your treatment taking? It's annoying because my teeth still look aesthetically very straight from continuing to wear the same retainer every night and the open bite isn't extremely prominent so it just makes me wonder whether this is gonna be a quicker fix or will still take a good while to fix. Seems like it's all very individual and difficult to predict!.

Yeah, it's a bit of wait which is unfortunate. The main reason I booked was it's the same ortho practice I went to initially and is the top-rated practice in my city but I could always look into other practices. I'm grateful I don't have any kind of TMJ/pain but the eating thing is a bit of a bummer, so I'm gravitating towards 'easier' foods in the meantime. And gosh, the chipped tooth must have been so exasperating and I can imagine it's easily done - it's definitely the weirdest feeling when you're eating and your bite and teeth feel so off - I do notice after eating that my teeth do tend to ache a bit purely from the clacking together. I will actually say one of the things that weirdly bothers me most is swallowing pills - I can feel them swirling round in my mouth and knocking against the back teeth and I am terrified I'm going to knock them down my airway one day.

How long is your treatment taking? It's annoying because my teeth still look aesthetically very straight from continuing to wear the same retainer every night and the open bite isn't extremely prominent so it just makes me wonder whether this is gonna be a quicker fix or will still take a good while to fix. Seems like it's all very individual and difficult to predict!.
It is weird when your bite is off isn't it. I sometimes mildly choke because of it. I assume because food that would usually be caught by my back teeth isn't so much at the moment and gets redirected prematurely down my throat. Lovely 😆.

I've waited a long time between appointments. I'm not getting my first tray until May and I've been having appointments since before Christmas. My advice would be if you feel comfortable with your dental practitioner then stay with them. I also looked into it a few years ago but I wasn't happy with the dentist at the time so didn't proceed. You need to have confidence in the person who will be messing with your teeth (and therefore your face).

It is weird when your bite is off isn't it. I sometimes mildly choke because of it. I assume because food that would usually be caught by my back teeth isn't so much at the moment and gets redirected prematurely down my throat. Lovely 😆.

I've waited a long time between appointments. I'm not getting my first tray until May and I've been having appointments since before Christmas. My advice would be if you feel comfortable with your dental practitioner then stay with them. I also looked into it a few years ago but I wasn't happy with the dentist at the time so didn't proceed. You need to have confidence in the person who will be messing with your teeth (and therefore your face).
What kind of bite issue are you dealing with? Yeah, I've read it can typically take around 4-6 weeks for the trays to arrive after getting the scans and I'm guessing there may be even more of a delay with covid so I'll have to be patient. Will be so glad when all this is fixed.

What kind of bite issue are you dealing with? Yeah, I've read it can typically take around 4-6 weeks for the trays to arrive after getting the scans and I'm guessing there may be even more of a delay with covid so I'll have to be patient. Will be so glad when all this is fixed.
I had some major dental work a few years ago that took over three years to complete and it's pushed my teeth out of alignment, The best way I can describe it is that my bottom jaw can't sit where it would naturally because it catches on a tooth near the front that's now in a different place, so my jaw is shunted forward slightly if that makes sense. It's really uncomfortable and I'm desperately hoping that the Invisalign solves it. I'd also like nice straight teeth again and be able to smile with confidence.

I’m on my final aligner and today would be my last day of wearing it for a week. I’m not back at the dentist for a couple of weeks yet (I’m still not happy with some of my teeth, but I’ve not told them that yet) and I’ve put them back in just now, it’s been 8 hours without them in (my bad) and the bottom one feels really tight 😐 just goes to show.

How many aligners do people normally have to get? I was told I would need 10 aligners wearing each one for 2 weeks, not sure if that’s a lot or too little lol

How many aligners do people normally have to get? I was told I would need 10 aligners wearing each one for 2 weeks, not sure if that’s a lot or too little lol
I’ve got 26. I’m on 24 so almost there! Just depends on how bad your teeth are I suppose.

I had 14, weekly changes. Then 8 refinement trays! Don’t think there is an average as such.

Got my first six sets this morning and oh my life I've never been so excited for lunchtime so I could take them off for a few minutes!! My teeth are so achey. I hope I don't take ages getting used to them.

• Heart