Clear braces

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any first hand experience of clear braces? I’ve trawled the internet but can only really the odd bit of impartial advice!

My teeth aren’t horrendous by any means- just a little wonky in places and it has always made me a bit paranoid. I’ve always toyed with the idea of clear braces but never thought about it that much til recently. My dentist offer Invisalign but there’s that many out there, i’m not sure what’s the best!

Reactions: 5
i had braces in my teens and some of the teeth have moved a little awkwardly so I’ve been having a look around too - I’m torn between invisa and the invisible braces as having had standard braces before I feel like I wouldn’t need the invisible ones for too long... But it’s so expensive!

Reactions: 2
It is expensive! The price seems so vague too, i’ve read £1500 to £5000 online so many times! I know some places charge for a consultation too, plus then there’s no mention of whether or not that includes the whitening/polishing, retainers etc 🤯
I understand the way Invisalign works and it’s all dependant on how many times you need a new one fitting, but there’s no rough scale of if your teeth are similar to this, it’ll take around 12 months! Tempted to ring tomorrow but I know once i’m in there for a consultation, i’ll 100% commit to it regardless 🙈🤣

Reactions: 1
I had Invisalign. 6 months, 12 trays, cost me £2500, including a permanent wire and retainer. I had braces when I was younger but my teeth moved in my 20s. I am so glad I did it!

Reactions: 7
I've just finished 2 years with a fixed metal brace ,it was painful and hard work but so worth it

Sorry to jump on your thread, did you lot just asks your own dentist about braces or ring a company that do braces x

I had clear a brace - the treatment was called 6 month smiles. I think it cost £2000 and they stayed on for 5 months overall. Definitely worth it but horrible at the time!

I had clear a brace - the treatment was called 6 month smiles. I think it cost £2000 and they stayed on for 5 months overall. Definitely worth it but horrible at the time!
Interesting.... thanks! I’ve heard of 6 month smile before. What was horrible, if you don’t mind me asking?

Interesting.... thanks! I’ve heard of 6 month smile before. What was horrible, if you don’t mind me asking?
Sorry I didn’t see this! It wasn’t that bad honestly, I’m just quite dramatic about things most people would see as a mild inconvenience 😂 The worst bits were I couldn’t bite properly with them on so some food was really hard to eat, couldn’t chew gum, sometimes I got ulcers and occasionally I’d have to go for an emergency appointment cos something had snapped (usually because I’d been eating something I shouldn’t!) . I’d do it again in a heartbeat though as the results were amazing

Sorry I didn’t see this! It wasn’t that bad honestly, I’m just quite dramatic about things most people would see as a mild inconvenience 😂 The worst bits were I couldn’t bite properly with them on so some food was really hard to eat, couldn’t chew gum, sometimes I got ulcers and occasionally I’d have to go for an emergency appointment cos something had snapped (usually because I’d been eating something I shouldn’t!) . I’d do it again in a heartbeat though as the results were amazing
🤣 thank you! Yeah the eating thing is weird.. I can’t imagine eating with a cover over your teeth?!

I’ve booked an Invisalign consultation for the start of January so will be interesting to see what they say...

🤣 thank you! Yeah the eating thing is weird.. I can’t imagine eating with a cover over your teeth?!

I’ve booked an Invisalign consultation for the start of January so will be interesting to see what they say...
You take Invisalign out to eat, just have to clean your teeth afterwards!

I’m doing Invisalign right now I figured I had the money (holiday money) and this is an ideal time and at least it’s something positive coming out of this crappy time

It’s mainly for the top front four teeth that are over lapping and wonky, they don’t look too bad face on it’s when I turn my head to the side

I had zoom calls with 2 orthodontist and went with the one nearest a private dentist that’s been around for years and the cost for both was pretty much the same £2850 for Invisalign

I had my scan appointment then a month later my first fitting and he gave me the following 6 pairs which takes me to my next appointment on the first Monday of January

I was surprised to find out that I change my aligners every week and when I asked how many I needed he said 12. I fully expected to be wearing braces till early summers but if I only need 12 I’ll be done mid Feb which would be great

To be honest they’re no bother, my tongue can’t stop fiddling with them so it get a bit sore and while I have no social life it’s easy to keep them in 22 hours a day , what I wasn’t expecting was the little blobs of hard stuff they but on certain teeth to make the braces work harder , they’re teeth coloured so aren’t that noticeable but I’ve avoided anything that may stain like red wine or curry just in case

I’m fine wearing them and talking to people while I’m out walking the dog but it’s also handy that I’m often talking to people wearing a mask as I feel i speak differently sometimes I think because you produce so much more saliva etc

I’m doing Invisalign right now I figured I had the money (holiday money) and this is an ideal time and at least it’s something positive coming out of this crappy time

It’s mainly for the top front four teeth that are over lapping and wonky, they don’t look too bad face on it’s when I turn my head to the side

I had zoom calls with 2 orthodontist and went with the one nearest a private dentist that’s been around for years and the cost for both was pretty much the same £2850 for Invisalign

I had my scan appointment then a month later my first fitting and he gave me the following 6 pairs which takes me to my next appointment on the first Monday of January

I was surprised to find out that I change my aligners every week and when I asked how many I needed he said 12. I fully expected to be wearing braces till early summers but if I only need 12 I’ll be done mid Feb which would be great

To be honest they’re no bother, my tongue can’t stop fiddling with them so it get a bit sore and while I have no social life it’s easy to keep them in 22 hours a day , what I wasn’t expecting was the little blobs of hard stuff they but on certain teeth to make the braces work harder , they’re teeth coloured so aren’t that noticeable but I’ve avoided anything that may stain like red wine or curry just in case

I’m fine wearing them and talking to people while I’m out walking the dog but it’s also handy that I’m often talking to people wearing a mask as I feel i speak differently sometimes I think because you produce so much more saliva etc
Wow... read the first 2 paragraphs and genuinely thought, are you me!? 🤣
Thanks so much, that was really useful. I’ve seen those little blobs they use but didn’t even think that they could easily stain! Makes sense... I just worry about the weekend evenings when me and my OH have a few drinks and ‘graze’ rather than eat a meal. Though this may actually help my diet though 🤣
If you don’t mind me asking, do you feel your teeth being pulled/pushed at all?

I have a consultation at the start of January and i’m pretty sure I want to go ahead with the treatment, obviously if the price is right!

Wow... read the first 2 paragraphs and genuinely thought, are you me!? 🤣
Thanks so much, that was really useful. I’ve seen those little blobs they use but didn’t even think that they could easily stain! Makes sense... I just worry about the weekend evenings when me and my OH have a few drinks and ‘graze’ rather than eat a meal. Though this may actually help my diet though 🤣
If you don’t mind me asking, do you feel your teeth being pulled/pushed at all?

I have a consultation at the start of January and i’m pretty sure I want to go ahead with the treatment, obviously if the price is right!
Lol glad it was useful too be honest I might be being overly cautious with the blobs, and really if they went a bit yellow after a curry I could hide them with a mask

I hear you about a weekend we have a cocktail hour lol on a Saturday about 4pm wine or whatever and crisps to tide us over till a takeaway or graze stuff. Im not meant to but it take the braces out to eat the crisps, but drink my wine with my braces in and then out again for my eve meal

I brush my teeth properly with toothpaste and an electric toothpaste twice a day an once or twice with a soft manual brush and just mouthwash once or twice too and give the braces a quick brush too

Yes main teeth can feel pressured more noticeable when your braces are out and your eating week 2 was a bad week, I bought Ora gel I numbing gel for toothache that helped that week and I havent needed it again not yet anyway!

I’m middle aged so I don’t have much leeway with eating, I have to watch what I eat to stay remotely near to my healthy weight range. I had put a couple of pound on over this year through comfort eating etc but I have lost those with having my braces, I think if it wasn’t for Xmas I’d have probably lost a couple more by Feb but that’s highly doubtful due to my love of Xmas food

I had braces as a kid and ofcourse my teeth got a bit wonky once wisdom teeth etc sets in. I had a look at invisalign but in the end went with braces. This was because I preferred to just have braces than the fidlyness off having the clear mouth guards. I had ceramic braces and only needed them for my bottom teeth.
Best decision ever as my teeth actual moved quicker than expected and I wore them for just less than a year when they were predicting 18 months

I never had braces as a child, my teeth looked bad- wonky and a huge fang. I found a dentist I trusted and went with Invisalign. Took 18 months for me and I have a wire brace in the lower ones.
I had chosen a private dentist as I was fed up with paying on NHS and getting poor service. Invisalign are great, they do the job. However the key is getting a good dentist first. My dentist saw me every two weeks initially to change braces. However sometimes he made me keep a brace on for a month to stabilise. This I think is key- getting a dentist who can be flexible, work with you, and fit you in if a problem occurs. He also allowed me to pay month by month which helped the bank account.
You will feel tension whilst the braces are on but you get used to it. They really are invisible.
Although if we have to keep wearing masks you could wear light up neon braces and no-one will notice.
Best thing I did for myself, no regrets.

I had 6 month smiles (clear braces) August ‘18 - Feb ‘19. Im so so happy with the results! Yes they were a bastard after they were tightened each month, and found it hard to eat certain food but it was 10000% worth it. I paid monthly with my dentist for it, and went private. I make sure I wear the retainer cause theres no way I’d go through that again😂.
I also have a fixed retainer behind my front teeth (top and bottom) so they wont move again :)