Classic Coronation Street

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m sure Vicky Entwistle and Jane Danson (Leanne) had an argument on Twitter about something Vicky said about Corrie.

ETA article

Vicky E is right about the quality of the writing, in modern day Corrie.

Reactions: 11
I can’t stand modern day Corrie, I don’t watch it but see it on occasions if I’m at my mums or something and always think how terrible it is but classic Corrie I’ve been enjoying

I haven’t watched it in years because even 10 years ago the stories were getting poorer. It’s to be expected when they have 5/6 episodes a week and are competing against other soaps I guess but there have been some really strong storylines in Classic Corrie.

Maybe it’s because I’m older too but I’m seeing the characters differently - Ashley and Fred have acted the recent storyline so well and there are some fantastic characters that even when they’re not front and centre are really good - Betty, Jack, Alma, Roy, Toyah etc

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Yep I agree. I love catching up with the classic episodes but only seem to watch the modern episodes when i've got nothing to watch.

ETA Mike was odious in today's second episode. Proper dinosaur.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
So I’ve just caught up and my observations today are clothing related:

* Did Toyah have a shift at a hardware store and that’s why she was wearing that beige pinafore/dress?

* Why was Gail constantly wearing a chunky knit cardigan when others were sunbathing?

* Was it mandatory for everyone who owned a corner shop/greengrocer in the 90s to wear a dark green overall jacket thing a la Vikram?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
There was also triple denim!!!
Janice had jeans, denim shirt and denim jacket on!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 9

'Ooooh Sally and Mikey, you may have got me banged up for now, but I will get you both one day'.

Jane Danson was hardly unbiased in her opinion of Corrie. She is unlikely to slate the show that employers her, despite how crap it is - or how crap she really thinks it is.

I was 'team Vicki' in that dispute, as she was spot on. You also have to look at Bev Callards disparaging comments about Corrie after she left. Sarah Lancashire and Thelma Barlow have hardly been positive about it either.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'd forgotten how much of a narcissist Mike Baldwin really was, I really wanted to punch him in the face over his treatment of Alma.

• Heart
I get serious rage watching Mike Baldwin but I guess that means he was a good character and played the role well.

Reactions: 7
I think the writers made a mistake splitting up Mike and Alma. They were a very interesting couple.
From memory this is the start of CS decline. Characters aren’t as rounded as before. Yes there’s a lot of great stories to come but from now on it seems to try and copy EE.

Reactions: 8
My mum always said she stopped watching around the time the Webster and Platt kids changed. It became more youth focused and less on the older more interesting characters (although looking back, Toyah was a great character in those days.)

I was literally thinking when watching it the other day that it used to focus more on the older generation in the show and how it’s almost done a complete 360 to today. They seem to focus on the younger generation a lot more now which to be honest I think is rubbish 😅 if I wanted to watch a teen drama I would but that’s just not what I want to watch in a tv soap. It’s all too much of a competition these days as well between them all and they’ve taken some storylines just way too far that it becomes really unrealistic and crap.

Reactions: 8
Leanne was a right cow to Ashley.
The actress who plays Linda (Tina in Emmerdale) is really good, shame she quit, but maybe she thought she'd always end up playing the 'femme fatale' character.

Can’t believe Ashley paid that phone bill for Nicks calls to Canada.
Wish he’d stick up for himself a bit more.

Leanne was a right cow to Ashley.
The actress who plays Linda (Tina in Emmerdale) is really good, shame she quit, but maybe she thought she'd always end up playing the 'femme fatale' character.
I think that was her last big role before opening a drama school in Glasgow - and became a writer

ETA attachment

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.