Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
This is a place for discussing the classic episodes of Coronation Street. One of the most gripping storylines in the show's history is currently being shown - Jon Lindsay and Deirdre Rachid. I missed it when it was originally shown. It is really well written, and totally compelling.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I loved Alma's quote last week. "Everyone keeps wanting to save Deirdre like she's an area of outstanding beauty, which she hasn't been for a long time".

• Haha
Reactions: 17

twinkleunicorn

VIP Member
I’m loving CCS, and it’s only because of this thread that I found it! It’s just so much better than the 2021 version!

Reactions: 14

eeeee1

Chatty Member
I’ve been thinking long about the Roy and Hayley storyline a lot this past few weeks, and how much we as a society have changed for the better (same sex marriage is legal, better laws protecting LGBTQ people, easier for trans people to change their documents) but yet we’ve almost gone backwards, too. Bigots arguing over pro-nouns, calling people snowflakes, arguing over who should be allowed in sports teams and toilets etc, but really, it’s just a person born into the wrong body who wants to lead a normal, often uneventful life like everyone else, maybe fall in love, be “one of the girls” like Hayley desperately wanted. That’s what it’s all about. It may be difficult to understand for some, but it’s not their business. The whole matter has been over complicated and perhaps it’s going to take Hayleys story again to remind people that everyone deserves a happy life, and everything else is just noise.

Last edited:
  • Heart

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Anyone else think Sally should’ve been out the door with Chris Collins quicker than you can say “wash your hands for your tea Rosie”??

• Haha

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Vicky E is right about the quality of the writing, in modern day Corrie.
I haven’t watched it in years because even 10 years ago the stories were getting poorer. It’s to be expected when they have 5/6 episodes a week and are competing against other soaps I guess but there have been some really strong storylines in Classic Corrie.

Maybe it’s because I’m older too but I’m seeing the characters differently - Ashley and Fred have acted the recent storyline so well and there are some fantastic characters that even when they’re not front and centre are really good - Betty, Jack, Alma, Roy, Toyah etc

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Jerry Garcia

Chatty Member
Nobody has a good word to say about Anthony Cotton! And yet, he's still employed. What I want to know is what kind of scurrilous gossip he surely must have on the higher ups!

• Haha

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
It was proper wank. Greg is so unthreatening that lil Sophie could have kicked him in the shins and got away!
I think Sally was right to be scared. I’ve unearthed a previously unseen still of Greg making his way to Coronation Street and I have to say, I’d be petrified if this was coming for me too…

40E5F6CA-2159-4719-A9D0-A99B248E2C3E.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Obviously aside from the whole Les/Journalists element, the only down side to the wedding, in my opinion, was the Great Uncle changing his mind so quickly. He went from telling Hayley to put her trousers on and get down to the pub for dominoes to walking her up the ‘aisle’ in about 10 minutes. Obviously it’s not completely beyond the realms of possibility but I would imagine that in the late 90s - and sadly probably still nowadays - this wouldn’t have been the happy ending those in Hayley’s position would have got.

It was a very powerful storyline and I shed a wee tear. The acting was outstanding.

I found this on my phone a wee while ago - I’m a solid 7 today

10C1E186-C45C-46A9-A4B6-32A20C3B8632.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 12

TripleC's

Chatty Member
"Leannes" acting seems better in classic corrie than in normal Corrie, i think she has been in it so long she has got lazy , out of the Battersbys at the moment she is the most convincing

I agree, when Park took over to modernize it, the show did lose a lot of its charm. I’m finding all who lived in Mavis and Derek’s house incredibly dull. The McDonalds/Fiona saga tedious and Samantha is so boring. I already miss the difference of characters, Phyllis, Percy, Derek, Mavis. They threw a bit of variety and light heartedness into the street.
It’s still better than today’s street but the demise from Park onwards is clear.
I agree its only been a few months since we lost 3 of them and its really missing their presence , Phyliss was always great as well, once we started losing these types of characters who could add a bit of simple comedy then you lost the heart of corrie, these days its one serious storyline after another all based on fantasy, and apart from Dev those that try to do comedy just fall flat on their face, as you say modern corrie has lost its charm sadly

Last edited:
Reactions: 12