Classic Coronation Street

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought the same, it’s actually great to see how far we’ve come from then to now. I thought it was actually quite ‘brave’ of coronation street to run a storyline like this at that particular time and that it was really well made as well. I can’t actually remember because I was only a child when it aired but I’m sure there wouldn’t of been many other storylines like that? Agree more storylines like this would be good!
There was a documentary made by the BBC about gender reassignment that followed an individual’s story. It is currently available on the iPlayer. I would say that the documentary and the coronation street storyline was the first a lot of people even knew that this situation existed.

If I remember correctly the trans community were mixed at the time. Obviously very happy that the story was being covered but would have preferred if a trans actor would have played Hayley and not a female acting the role.

Reactions: 1
Didn’t realise what a little legend Emily Bishop was, she’s really cool for an old girl, I don’t remember noticing this years ago
Her finest hour was when she climbed up a tree, and became an eco warrior, to save the Red Rec!

Reactions: 7
Obviously aside from the whole Les/Journalists element, the only down side to the wedding, in my opinion, was the Great Uncle changing his mind so quickly. He went from telling Hayley to put her trousers on and get down to the pub for dominoes to walking her up the ‘aisle’ in about 10 minutes. Obviously it’s not completely beyond the realms of possibility but I would imagine that in the late 90s - and sadly probably still nowadays - this wouldn’t have been the happy ending those in Hayley’s position would have got.

It was a very powerful storyline and I shed a wee tear. The acting was outstanding.

I found this on my phone a wee while ago - I’m a solid 7 today

View attachment 789688
Definately on drugs in images #2, #3, #4, #8, #9.

😆😆

If I remember correctly the trans community were mixed at the time. Obviously very happy that the story was being covered but would have preferred if a trans actor would have played Hayley and not a female acting the role.
How many trans actors were around in 1998?

None that I know of.

Julie Hesmondhalgh did a brilliant job as Hayley.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
How many trans actors were around in 1998?

None that I know of.

Julie Hesmondhalgh did a brilliant job as Hayley.
I think hiring an actual trans actor would have been too much for the public to endear to. I actually can't believe the things being said about Hayley being allowed to air in prime time hours, it honestly is really gross and shocking.

Julie H was a good stop gap to get more people on side. Things have changed now and trans actors do play trans characters, progress takes time!

Reactions: 8
In fairness, trans actors couldn’t really even get an equity card in the late 90s.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
In fairness, trans actors couldn’t really even get an equity card in the late 90s.
I didn’t know that, that’s so sad. I find it difficult to put myself back to that time period and think what it would have been like then. I think in a lot of ways we haven’t progressed much at all but to think how powerful that storyline was and how groundbreaking it must have been, the reaction must have been huge.

Was Brookside still on at that time? Obviously they were groundbreaking with the first gay kiss and the brother/sister relationship but I can’t remember if Roy and Hayley’s storyline was ever seen as a shocking story to beat the other soaps in the ratings?

Reactions: 3
I didn’t know that, that’s so sad. I find it difficult to put myself back to that time period and think what it would have been like then. I think in a lot of ways we haven’t progressed much at all but to think how powerful that storyline was and how groundbreaking it must have been, the reaction must have been huge.

Was Brookside still on at that time? Obviously they were groundbreaking with the first gay kiss and the brother/sister relationship but I can’t remember if Roy and Hayley’s storyline was ever seen as a shocking story to beat the other soaps in the ratings?
Brookside ended in 2003 so yes it was still on during the time we’re in for Classic Corrie (April 1999). That incest storyline (in my opinion) was done just for controversy’s sake. I don’t think many people were singing it’s praises at the time. Also the kiss in Brookie was the first lesbian kiss (not gay kiss overall) in a soap. The first gay kiss (between 2 men) was in Eastenders in the late 80s

Brookside ended in 2003 so yes it was still on during the time we’re in for Classic Corrie (April 1999). That incest storyline (in my opinion) was done just for controversy’s sake. I don’t think many people were singing it’s praises at the time. Also the kids in Brookie was the first lesbian kiss not gay kiss overall) in a soap. The first gay kiss was in Eastenders in the late 80s
Apologies, Barry and Colin were a bit before my time but I had heard about them - I went to write ‘lesbian’ then thought that was wrong for some reason!

Reactions: 2
I think hiring an actual trans actor would have been too much for the public to endear to. I actually can't believe the things being said about Hayley being allowed to air in prime time hours, it honestly is really gross and shocking.

Julie H was a good stop gap to get more people on side. Things have changed now and trans actors do play trans characters, progress takes time!
People really do need to stop viewing archive programmes with modern day attitudes.

The world was a different place back in 1998.

If people are offended by how the world was in the past, then dont watch programmes that were made in years gone by.

• Heart
People really do need to stop viewing archive programmes with modern day attitudes.
Thankfully we live in the modern day so can judge the past without rose tinted glasses fogging up the view, and sorry not sorry, what was commonplace thinking back then is now offensive.

I felt the same watching other scenes from the Classic soaps. So much prejudice and bigotry. I'm glad things changed.

Reactions: 4
Thankfully we live in the modern day so can judge the past without rose tinted glasses fogging up the view, and sorry not sorry, what was commonplace thinking back then is now offensive.

I felt the same watching other scenes from the Classic soaps. So much prejudice and bigotry. I'm glad things changed.
Even the way they talk about woman - not just people like Mike and Jack. All expecting woman to have their teas ready and best lingerie in when they get in from a hard day of having a 2 hour liquid lunch at the Rovers.

Me and my friends were talking about first crushes the other day and my friend goes “does anyone remember Greg from Corrie? Greg Kelly?” - she had a MASSIVE Greg Kelly poster in her bedroom at 8 years old and loved him.
I know I fancied Tedious Tilsley but Greg??

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Me and my friends were talking about first crushes the other day and my friend goes “does anyone remember Greg from Corrie? Greg Kelly?” - she had a MASSIVE Greg Kelly poster in her bedroom at 8 years old and loved him.
The man’s an icon! (😉)

• Haha
She might as well of gotten a poster of Frank Spencer to pin on her wall. 😆😆

Last edited:
  • Haha

'Ooooh Sally, I'M BACK!!!'
I had been resisting the urge to find out who was scamming Mike and this was a proper shock! Ooooo he is a slimy bastard!

(I wonder if he still has his UFO poster up in his bedroom? LOL!!!)

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.