Christmas Work Parties

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm lucky and I've always had decent people I worked with so enjoy Xmas parties. I don't go to wider company ones though, we usually tend to have smaller ones with people we work closely with.
I'm on secondment to a client company who spend money like it's going out of fashion so their work dos are pretty good. Always a fancy place and no expense spared. My own company prefers to hire out an aircraft hanger sized venue and crams everyone in with so-so catering which doesn't appeal at all. With the latter, a bunch of us organise our own meal together with a secret santa and they are always good fun.

Reactions: 4
The meal is usually tit in my experience, just mediocre food served up in mass quantities to a big group, and people still always say its amazing.

Reactions: 9
The meal is usually tit in my experience, just mediocre food served up in mass quantities to a big group, and people still always say its amazing.
Oh it's horrible isn't it? £40+ on a slice of Bernard Matthew turkey roll, a couple of aunt Bessie's and a Christmas pud that never gets eaten. I've never had an amazing one yet.

Reactions: 12
Oh it's horrible isn't it? £40+ on a slice of Bernard Matthew turkey roll, a couple of aunt Bessie's and a Christmas pud that never gets eaten. I've never had an amazing one yet.
Yep, the roast potatoes are never as good in a restaurant as at home, and the portion is always measly!

Reactions: 6
The meals also always seem to drag on for absolutely ages, I've always felt leaving them that I've wasted a lot of time. And if there was drinks involved after, only the hardcores can be arsed anyway and most people just go home.

Reactions: 5
I must learn to read more carefully, I thought it was Christmas Work Panties, I am not sure whether I am disappointed or relieved.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
At previous workplaces they were always a bit of a daggy thing ... forced fun, and a mix of fully funded, partially funded and not funded at all ... some had Secret Santa and it was always crap.

I've been at my current workplace for a number of years and love the work and the people but recently a new person has come in who's changed the dynamic completely. She hasn't tried to fit in and holds quite an important role in the organisation, although as we have a flat structure she's just one of the team really (not that that stops her). She is organising this year's do and has talked about a 'nice' buffet dinner ... as expected, absolutely no imagination and it will be awful, like her. Last year, we had a murder-mystery evening - with our partners too - at an amazing old B&B in the country - that was so, so cool. We stayed overnight in glamping tents and had a lunch picnic the next day. The two years before that, we were mostly working from home - our GM gave us each Mitre 10 (hardware store) gift cards one year (super-thoughtful as they sell all sorts of summer gear, furniture, stuff for the home, etc.), and amazing hampers (including a leg of ham) the other year. For the Christmas before Covid hit, we all went to Queenstown (with our partners too) for four nights.

I avoid at all costs :ROFLMAO: Where I worked previously I used to love going because it was a massive firm and I had a lot of friends/people my age there, and they really did go all out so it was really good! But where I work now I'm the youngest by about 20 years and I have very little in common with my colleagues tbh. They always do the party on the last working day before our 2 week christmas break so when January comes around I always get my holiday form in early and book the last day off so then I can say either I'm travelling down to see my family, or I've got family coming to stay with me :ROFLMAO: surprised noones cottoned on yet

Reactions: 7
My sister's not going to hers which has been arranged at a bowling place. She said she would feel just feel uncomfortable being around her managers and some co workers she doesn't even like.

I'm proud of her for not doing something she doesn't want to do.

I avoid at all costs :ROFLMAO: Where I worked previously I used to love going because it was a massive firm and I had a lot of friends/people my age there, and they really did go all out so it was really good! But where I work now I'm the youngest by about 20 years and I have very little in common with my colleagues tbh. They always do the party on the last working day before our 2 week christmas break so when January comes around I always get my holiday form in early and book the last day off so then I can say either I'm travelling down to see my family, or I've got family coming to stay with me :ROFLMAO: surprised noones cottoned on yet
That's why you're THE Elle woods.

Last edited:
I dread all work get togethers! 😩

My Christmas work party is coming up this week and I can't be bothered at all. I feel a bit bad as everyone I work with is lovely, the company are paying for it all and it's in a nice hotel, it's just not my scene at all. I felt I had to go to this one as it's my first Christmas at the company, and every single other member of staff is going... but I plan on slipping out after a couple of hours!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I dread all work get togethers! 😩

My Christmas work party is coming up this week and I can't be bothered at all. I feel a bit bad as everyone I work with is lovely, the company are paying for it all and it's in a nice hotel, it's just not my scene at all. I felt I had to go to this one as it's my first Christmas at the company, and every single other member of staff is going... but I plan on slipping out after a couple of hours!
Could you just say that a family member has already booked tickets for something for that date?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Could you just say that a family member has already booked tickets for something for that date?
I'd love to! But I'd feel bad as I'd already said I'd go and chosen the meal which will have been paid for. Logging this excuse for next time though! 😄

I have a Christmas Work Do next weekend - it started off a 2pm 'bottomless brunch' for £30 plus bus/train/cabs because it's in a town 40 mins away.
It has gradually extended from Bottomless Brunch, to a couple of pubs after.... then, to cocktail bars and now a Curry has been booked 8pm there has even been mention of going out in our town after all that.
Of course, I know I can tell them I'll just attend the brunch and then leave, but it's annoying the expectation is we're all going to be up for it and have endless amounts of cash during a cost of living crisis and so close to Christmas.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I ended up with a good excuse not to attend mine and I can't believe how relieved I am!

I have a Christmas Work Do next weekend - it started off a 2pm 'bottomless brunch' for £30 plus bus/train/cabs because it's in a town 40 mins away.
It has gradually extended from Bottomless Brunch, to a couple of pubs after.... then, to cocktail bars and now a Curry has been booked 8pm there has even been mention of going out in our town after all that.
Of course, I know I can tell them I'll just attend the brunch and then leave, but it's annoying the expectation is we're all going to be up for it and have endless amounts of cash during a cost of living crisis and so close to Christmas.
Sounds like a just say no situation

Do you enjoy them or avoid them at all costs? Have they gone dramatically wrong or just plain boring? I've never encountered one where anyone has been sacked but you always hear all the stories

A few years ago I used to love them, but my team changed, my hours changed and now I just couldn't be arsed. Plus are work doesn't pay for them so it always ends up pricey. And don't get me started at diving the bill at the end of the meal! Absolute carnage where you always feel ripped off
Any company that doesn't contribute towards a staff Xmas party - either in part, or in full - is just plain stingy.

The HMRC allow limited companies a set Xmas Party and annual event exemption - for which companies can claim against their tax payable.

The current exemption is £150 per person, per year.

• Wow
I’ve organised our Christmas work parties for many years, apart from the last 2 due to Covid. Keeping it cheap and cheerful for all staff this year and will see who turns up on the day. Usually do secret Santa too but not with the whole staff team, just my colleagues in the same role as me.

Reactions: 1
Do you do secret santa?
There’s one at mine but you have to opt-out so everyone is automatically opted in, which I think is ridiculous. There’s about 100 staff where I work and I know about 20%. Last year I had to buy a gift for someone I’d never heard of! The way the email was worded was snooty too. It basically said why would you want to opt out and not engage in fun. There is a cost of living crisis ffs! I’d rather spend that money on someone I love.

• Angry
  • Sad
  • Wow
Wow, didn't think I'd be in the minority here, but yes I love mine. I also genuinely love my job and colleagues, maybe in the minority there too!
Going for a nice meal in a couple of weeks, paid for by the company and usually a free bar for a set period of time.

The day after our party a load of us are going out together again to a Christmas event. Great fun 😍

Reviving this thread as I've got my work Christmas party today...

What's everyone's most embarrassing work Christmas party stories? Could be you or someone else 😂