Christmas spending

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Think it’s lovely you’ve always looked out for them. How old are the kids?

Maybe you could also do envelopes with coupons for different free things like a trip to the park. One reading a storybook.
That’s a good idea thank you!
they are 8, 13 16 & 17

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I feel guilty for not getting my family as much as I usually would. I’m usually the responsible one to buy for my 4 nephews (their mother is useless & doesn’t get them anything because she spends her money on shite) and this will be the first year I don’t have the £500 that I usually give her (well I take her to the shops and make her buy stuff) and it’s eating at me, I grew up wrapping my own gifts from things I could find around the house I never wanted that for those little kids, but this year I just can’t afford it 😢.. I know it’s not all about money etc but I’m feeling so depressed about it.
I’ve got them pjs and a chocolate treat this year. Haven’t bought for anyone else, simply can’t
you aren’t the one who should feel guilty - maybe this will help her wake up and realise her kids needs to come first.

hope you’re ok - this time of year is so tough for so many x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Am I the only one who will be glad when the whole thing is over? 😅
I am this year. I just don’t have the time or energy for it and of course we are all trying to spend a little less as well.

I’ve normally done all the gifts and had them wrapped by now, but we moved house in August & got married in October and we’ve just had one thing after another to sort…

luckily I’ve palmed off the Christmas dinner on someone else this year, but I still need to do Yorkshire puddings & desserts & cupcakes 😳 CBA😂😂

Reactions: 2
I don’t have the energy either. I’m forcing myself to go into town later to try and get some done.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Apologies, this may be the wrong thread to post on!!
However, any advise on how much a 4 year old should really get at Christmas?
At the moment I have got my little one around ten smaller gifts and plan on a little stocking for her to open when she wakes up but I can’t help feeling like it’s not enough?!
In the same boat as everybody else with money being really tight this year but feel like I should be doing more.

At the moment I have got my little one around ten smaller gifts and plan on a little stocking for her to open when she wakes up but I can’t help feeling like it’s not enough?!
In the same boat as everybody else with money being really tight this year but feel like I should be doing more.
Can you remember what you got for Xmas at 4? Don't feel pressure to give more. If you got her somethings that you know she'd like then leave it at that.
I know this sounds stupid but for me the best gift was time from my parents. What I remember most is great Xmas with them playing with us

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm going all mumsnet now 😅

Do you have a budget for Christmas?

A friend of a friend spends £200 for 4 children and 2 x grandparents an I can't get my head round it, I need to know what she's buying!!

This isn't to shame anyone on, im just interested.
I only have one child and his birthday is a month before so it is very expensive time for us 😅😅 I’ve probably spent well over £300 alone for both

Reactions: 1
She's 4, she won't have any idea how much she 'should' get. Find a christingle service in your area, take her to that on Xmas eve,, she'll love it.

You don’t and should no way feel you have to get anymore or that it’s not enough.
I know it’s easier said than done and I used to be like it but I’m sure she’ll be more than happy with whatever you’ve got her.

My advice is don’t go mad buying presents or you’ll end up like me having to spend thousands because it’s expected 🥴

Reactions: 2
Santa is very fussy about things that go in stockings! Always a toothbrush because of all those sweeties at Christmas. And a face cloth. Sometimes even a duster to keep your bedroom tidy.
Maybe pretty socks or tights to wear on Christmas Day,

Spend what you feel like and can afford no more, ignore all the people who post pics of presents online they are either bragging or attention seeking. Stocking is easy wrap everything up if you want her to unwrap more but toothbrush, socks, crayons etc few bits from the works their 10 for £10 books are also good value and you can save a few back for her birthday. She will be excited and grateful for anything she gets am sure. I bought throughout the year but if I hadn’t I’d have got less presents and done Christmas activities I’ve booked train ride, farm Santa grotto and a breakfast with Santa none were overly expensive but I know my little one will love it. Some church’s so free craft and Christmas activities but don’t feel guilty or allow others to dictate what you do for your little one.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
This thread has been an eye opener 🤣 I was brought up modestly, I always had presents but my mum stretched her small budget and I always had the best christmases regardless, I never cared about having hundreds spent on me and I’ve carried that on. I loathe mindless consumerism.

My partner has 3 kids and he spends about $400 on each of them and it honestly makes me feel sick even though he can more than afford it. Creates entitlement. But what can I do 😂

Reactions: 8
£3000 all in for: presents, food/ drink budget, Boxing Day buffet thrown for family, Petrol (north/ south divide means quite big petrol expenses to visit relatives) food bank donations/ Salvation Army packages my daughters class made up. My own four kids get about 300 each usually. Worked out at 7% of our earnings this year, usually my aim is no more than 5% of annual salary but it’s a sign of the times that it’s gone up this year. I put around £300 away in another account each month, feel fortunate to have been able to have done this year, other years we haven’t had a pot to piss in and we spent what we could afford, I don’t get myself into debt for Christmas a rule I made when we started our family. As long as my lot have a hot Christmas dinner, a board game we can all play together and watching some good tele I call it a successful Christmas, I feel there’s a bit more pressure on us now they are heading into their teen years, but I’m determined not to raise brats as a child from a single mother who worked so hard to give me the best Christmas’s who always told me you do what you can with what you have. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm going to be spending about £155 of which £90 is food, £50 for nieces and £15 for a personalised reusable coffee mug for my Son. The only gift he is getting (already has it) and he is happy with it. It'll be the gift that keeps giving as he goes to Costa everyday so he'll have a free coffee every 4 days now.

• Heart