Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ergh so its pretty obvious who my secret santa is, I seem to be getting the same one the past 3 years!!! Its the only guy in the office who gets his gf to buy stuff. I got a Baylis and Harding bath set and some cheap flavourings for gin....pretty much the same I have gotten the past few years. Jealous of all my collegues who got booze, nice notebooks and candles. Just get me a bottle of wine and im happy. These will go in the charity bag again.
 
  • Like
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
Not a tit prezzy but this had annoyed me. BIL who still lives at home always buys my kids tit maybe a £1.50 selection box each. Theres absolutely no thought gone into it, its cheap AF, he earns a very decent wage and is waited on hand and food by our in laws. Some times doesnt bother at all, never rings or texts basically doesnt give a tit about the kids. We never get anything either, again doesnt bother me, as long as the kids get something.

My partner always asks him what he wants, a few weeks before Xmas he sends us a link for a £75 ps5 game 😳. I told him to get ducked, no way are we buying that.

We get to the in laws today, said BIL rolls down after we've been there two hours, opens his gifts from in laws and other various people. Grunts at the kids and goes back to bed. No time or prezzys for the kids.

We get home MIL texts to see where we left BILs game because he's come downstairs and wants to play on it 🤬 So my husband rang her, said were was the kids prezzys, apparently he didn't have time to get them but was planning on getting them something after Xmas, basically escalated into a massive row. My partners in the wrong in their eyes - massive selfish twit.
He could afford the PS5, so he can afford his own games. The nerve of him. Go to poundland and get him some nappies and a soother.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
I'm loving this thread, it's a popcorn thread, my whinge is nothing compared to what I've been reading.

Thankfully I only get presents from Mother and Brother, I'm easy and my Brother just looks at my Amazon wish list!
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I shouldn’t moan about presents as I’m far too spoilt and I know that although I do get a bit pissed when I spend a heap on people and don’t get the same returned 😅

Probably sounds petty although I am a bit annoyed - I spent at least £80 each on my sister and her husband, and £90ish each on my niece and nephew and they’re not even old enough to know. I love buying presents and spoiling them although I only got a £30 bag which I bought myself to get from them in return. My sister was quick enough to send me £50 trainers she wanted and I just think it’s a bit ill mannered. Maybe I’m over reacting but It’s a bit crap as were really close!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 16
No complaints about my gifts. But we always spend quite a bit of money on others gifts and put some thought into them and it is very irritating when it isn't appreciated.

We have a niece (8) and nephew (7). We got the niece some DIY earrings design kit which she loved, a book, a mini sewing machine as she loves crafts and a horseriding Barbie as she enjoys horseriding. Well, she opened the Barbie, scoffed at it and says she already has too many. Then she didn't seem impressed with the sewing machine. Basically threw it aside. She is a spoilt cat.

On the other hand, our nephew loved his gifts and we also got him one of those drawing boxes (pens, paints, crayons etc) as he is very artsy. Well, when he opened that, the niece almost threw a tantrum because she wanted one... She doesn't even draw. lol.

Said to my husband that less is more. Next yr we will buy them less and adopt a family instead and fulfill their wish list. I would rather spend money on those who appreciate it. The parents don't even tell them to say thank you.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Love reading this thread. This year I got absolutely everything that I like. Normally there’s one or two that are a bit weird but I usually grow to like it 😅 anyway i got a Pandora ring of my sister and bracelet of my Nan (my first ever Pandora stuff so was literaly so excited and feel like that’s really special ) then 3 books I wanted ... a massage voucher and a coat I wanted 😃 and I’ve had a lovely day! Great to have a lovely day after this year? Hope everyone else is okay and has had a good day love and best wishes to you all 🎅🎅❤❤ Xxxxx


He didn’t even come down on Xmas day??? That’s like what a teenager would do an even then most teenagers would come down for Xmas day at least 🥱🥱 wtf! He’s like a slob!! Is he depressed maybe? :-/ only reason I can think of that he’d just stay in his room all day on such a important day an then just want to game
Also a selection box would be fine if u knew they were struggling for money an makes a effort with the kids at least said nice things to them an came down n stuff but ? If he’s on a good wage then it’s just rude .... I gave both my cousins a card each with £20 in as there 11 now an said money, I’m in my over draft or it would have been £30 but yeah :-/ even I put a £20 even tho I can’t afford as I want them to remember me as making a effort ... and we had a really lovely hour together we went for a Christmas walk so it was more socially distanced... (tier one area) just makes me sad that some families aren’t nice like that
No complaints about my gifts. But we always spend quite a bit of money on others gifts and put some thought into them and it is very irritating when it isn't appreciated.

We have a niece (8) and nephew (7). We got the niece some DIY earrings design kit which she loved, a book, a mini sewing machine as she loves crafts and a horseriding Barbie as she enjoys horseriding. Well, she opened the Barbie, scoffed at it and says she already has too many. Then she didn't seem impressed with the sewing machine. Basically threw it aside. She is a spoilt cat.

On the other hand, our nephew loved his gifts and we also got him one of those drawing boxes (pens, paints, crayons etc) as he is very artsy. Well, when he opened that, the niece almost threw a tantrum because she wanted one... She doesn't even draw. lol.

Said to my husband that less is more. Next yr we will buy them less and adopt a family instead and fulfill their wish list. I would rather spend money on those who appreciate it. The parents don't even tell them to say thank you.
Ergh hate it when kids are so spoilt like that it’s vile should know to say thank you more than once .... and be appreciative for how lucky they are ! Even for the basics food warmth etc ...
 
  • Like
Reactions: 8
My MIL got me some bath stuff, im happy enough with it but she clearly just found random things to wrap as its 3 different scents from different shops.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Ok here we go.
My partner has a friend he has known for 50 years, they have been through thick and thin together. My partner is one of the kindest people I have ever known, and would do anything for anyone. People have taken advantage of his good nature - the friend is one of life's takers. He is in a precarious financial situation at the moment (mostly of his own making), so I came up with the idea of putting a food hamper together for him. But I only suggested this to my partner 2 weeks ago, so we have had little time to organise it.
So we've been buying groceries, my partner has contributed most of the items, I told him off, but felt bad about it afterwards. Anyway, we bought far more items than this friend deserves, my partner gave the hamper to the friend last night. He was grateful.
My partner has been talking about a tool kit that he liked the look of, so I gave him some money towards it. But I felt that just giving him money, was rather impersonal, so I got him some other inexpensive items. In the Summer, I pressed some cornflowers in a book, with the intention of using them for some sort of present. I stayed up until 4am Christmas morning, to compose a picture with the dried flowers, and wrap it and another gift. Anyway, he asked me what I wanted for Christmas a week or so ago, I asked for a dvd boxset which he bought.
Christmas morning arrived, and I placed his presents in the living room. He sheepishly said that he didn't have the time to wrap my present, or buy me anything else because he had been concentrating on the contents of the friend's hamper. I felt deeply upset and taken for granted, I should have bitten my lip, but instead I whinged at him. However we did reconsile, and have had a pleasent day together. But I am still angry with the friend.

Sorry to waffle on.
 
  • Sad
  • Like
Reactions: 17
Ergh so its pretty obvious who my secret santa is, I seem to be getting the same one the past 3 years!!! Its the only guy in the office who gets his gf to buy stuff. I got a Baylis and Harding bath set and some cheap flavourings for gin....pretty much the same I have gotten the past few years. Jealous of all my collegues who got booze, nice notebooks and candles. Just get me a bottle of wine and im happy. These will go in the charity bag again.
This year I got a mug with accountant on. Yes I'm an accountant but so is everyone I work with. We opened our presents on video call and could just sense everyone thinking thank God my SS didn't get them with their alcohol sets 😂😂
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 6
In the Summer, I pressed some cornflowers in a book, with the intention of using them for some sort
Christmas morning arrived, and I placed his presents in the living room. He sheepishly said that he didn't have the time to wrap my present, or buy me anything else because he had been concentrating on the contents of the friend's hamper. I felt deeply upset and taken for granted, I should have bitten my lip, but instead I whinged at him. However we did reconsile, and have had a pleasent day together. But I am still angry with the friend.

Sorry to waffle on.
Firstly, that is not waffling on and secondly, no need to apologise. Something I’ve felt very strongly this year is that people have been impeded or made to feel guilty for voicing an annoyance or upset when everyone is going through a hard time or a worse time. Personally, I feel better for having a bit of a moan or clearing what’s on my mind. Obviously the audience and timing is important, but we are only human: we get pissed off, we can feel hard done by. It may be a valid reason, it may be totally selfish and a bit nuts!

I’ve read some threads on here starting with things like ‘Am I overreacting/being selfish’ etc. And sometimes I think ‘yes’! Once I posted to say that their behaviour was a bit psycho. But this hasn’t been a normal year, we may all be behaving or reacting differently. And that’s ok.

As I said before, this is a great space to vent and be unapologetic about it. You know he did a great thing for his friend and sadly that came at the expense of your gifts this year. Hopefully next year for your birthday and/or Christmas he won’t make the same mistake x
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
My husband got me a phone charger 🤨 one year he got me pyjamas and when I put them on said “oh they didn’t look like that on the model” (wick).
I got my nephew some thoughtful gifts and my brother never even got him to say thank you and bought nothing for my children.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
  • Angry
Reactions: 26
Not this year but in general. I sew, knit, crochet, etc. People, especially Secret Santas, give me knitted stuff "because you like that sort of thing". What is it about the delicate lace shawl in fine wool yarn that you saw me knitting for myself during lunch breaks that makes you think that I'll be grateful for an chunky acrylic scarf and gloves set, particularly when you see me come in with a selection of hand-knitted hats, scarves and gloves every work day? At least Asda bloody exchanged it.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Ok here we go. I might catch some tit for this but oh well. My husband got me a new MacBook. Which ordinarily would be an amazing gift but not now. Every time computers have come up over the year, I've told him I do not want or need another laptop and to please not buy me one because of that and the fact I'm not comfortable dropping that kind of cash this year. So I opened the box, saw what it was and had a panic attack. Had to sit by myself upstairs for a bit with a xanax.

I feel like a spoiled witch and I hurt his feelings. But at the same time I also feel like he either just ignored what I said or else thought he knew better then I do about what I want/need. (Not to mention the $$$ anxiety he knows i have.) Yay xmas
 
  • Like
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I hate doing secret Santa, I really don’t like opening presents in front of people as it’s gives me anxiety everyone looking etc so I’d rather not do it but then people are like oh come don’t be a Scrooge.

The worst was about 10 years ago, I was about 20 and had a new job, I was very quiet and didn’t know anyone that well or speak to people much there but I had to do the secret Santa and go out for the team lunch that went on in to a night out.

At the lunch everyone had to go up separately and sit on the managers knee who was dressed up as santa, get your present and have a photo. I was dreading this for a number of reasons, everyone staring at me having my pic done, I thought was overweight (wish I was as overweight now as I thought I was then!!) so the thought of having to sit on someone’s knee I was like omg I’m gunna squash his knee!! And I didn’t want to open my present in front of everyone.

to give a bit more background I had brought for a lady on maternity still who I had never met, I got her chocolates and wine and she loved it, kept thanking me and saying how did it get her fave chocolates when we’d never met! She was really pleased.

so anyway I open my present and it’s a bloody pig cuddly toy....straight away I was mortified especially as I thought it was a bit of a dig about my weight, so anyway I sat down and someone was like what did you get? So I said a cuddly toy and the boy who brought it was like oh no, it’s a flannel shaped like a cuddly toy, when you press it when your showering it oinks, he was like, my kid loves his! I thought, yeah of course your kid who’s a toddler loves it’s, it’s a farm animal and it’s makes noises he probably finds it hilarious! A shy, insecure, 20 year old girl who is clearly a bit chubby / overweight, not so much!! Honestly the worst gift I’ve ever received, I was actually embarrassed! Just no thought had gone in to it at all!! I’d managed to play it safe for a lady still on maternity and get chocolate and wine and he couldn’t even be bothered to think.. hmm what would a 20 year old girl want!
 
  • Sad
  • Like
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
A LOL Surprise diary with fluffy pen from my aunt..... I’m 25!


my brother in law has 4 kids, my partner and I have none. We buy for all their kids. We didn’t even get a thank you from either the kids or the parents. I know you don’t buy to receive but they didn’t get us anything. my mother in law even commented that was really rude of them considering we spent £80 gifting their kids. Anyway, two of the younger kids were telling me about how they’d been using their gifts during the day (still no thanks), so I said “oh did you like your gifts from me and your uncle?” (In front of the sister in law, hoping this would prompt her to say thanks herself or for her to tell the kids to thank us) .... nope still nothing, just sat with a blank expression on her face and said “yeah they been playing with it earlier”
 
  • Wow
  • Like
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
A LOL Surprise diary with fluffy pen from my aunt..... I’m 25!


my brother in law has 4 kids, my partner and I have none. We buy for all their kids. We didn’t even get a thank you from either the kids or the parents. I know you don’t buy to receive but they didn’t get us anything. my mother in law even commented that was really rude of them considering we spent £80 gifting their kids. Anyway, two of the younger kids were telling me about how they’d been using their gifts during the day (still no thanks), so I said “oh did you like your gifts from me and your uncle?” (In front of the sister in law, hoping this would prompt her to say thanks herself or for her to tell the kids to thank us) .... nope still nothing, just sat with a blank expression on her face and said “yeah they been playing with it earlier”
I hate that!! I'm in my 30s and I still message family straight away to say thank you for gifts. I think my parents would kill me if I didn't. It is just manners.
My younger cousin doesn't and never really has and I do find it a bit rude. I was made to write thank you letters until I was 15, so a quick text is nothing
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
We had to phone people up and thank them for gifts when I was young and it had to be done on xmas day. I make my kids do the same for any gifts they recieve. Its basic good manners.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 24
My husband is crap at buying gifts. Just rubbish.

He got me two (?) Merino wool jumpers which are a size too small and are like varsity style v neck jumpers. Just huh. And so itchy

Then Disney plus which me and the kids were so excited about until we found it's not supported by our TV and we don't have a tablet 😔 there was tears! It would work on our Amazon fire stick but the remote has disappeared so we get to spend boxing day turning the house upside down 😂 he'd obv ordered it in a panic on Xmas Eve as the email was date stamped. One hand he giveth, other he takes away

Also lush bath bombs... ungrateful but just why. I'm a mum who works full time when the hell do I get time for a bath?? I'd dropped hints for shower stuff so he was halfway there
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Then Disney plus which me and the kids were so excited about until we found it's not supported by our TV and we don't have a tablet 😔 there was tears! It would work on our Amazon fire stick but the remote has disappeared so we get to spend boxing day turning the house upside down 😂 he'd obv ordered it in a panic on Xmas Eve as the email was date stamped. One hand he giveth, other he takes away
If you can’t find the remote, you can download the Fire TV app on your phone and use that as a remote
 
  • Like
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.