Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm quite happy for my partner to buy me nothing, as long as in return he expects nothing! I cba with thinking of present ideas for him, he just buys himself what he wants during the year, as do I. I'd rather save our pennies and maybe have a night away or something, or a spa break for the two of us instead.

I am going to be a tit gift giver this year. My 3 year old had scarlet fever at the end of November, and has just been discharged from hospital for infected chicken pox, so very little has been bought or wrapped. Amazon Prime is going to have to save my bacon.
Do you mean for your daughter or other people? I usually do a photo book for grandparents as I don’t like to send them over digitally as they get put on social media but I cba this year. We got some nice photos from her preschool Xmas photo shoot im just sending them over (with caveat not to post online) and they can get them printed and framed themselves 🤣

Reactions: 1
My father wasn't great at presents but he knew that he was expected to give them. Very traditional. Mum could always expect flowers at Christmas, her birthday and Valentine's (which was also their anniversary). After I was around 17 he recruited me to buy most of my mum's presents and repaid me but at Christmas and birthdays he would always take a trip to the jeweller and get presents for me and Mum. No great imagination but nice - he took guidance from the jewellers who knew us! That's what he was brought up to do (born in 1920); a man bought his wife and daughter(s) what jewellery he could afford. He used to mutter darkly about my mum's cousin who could well afford expensive stuff but never bought his wife jewellery or anything pretty. He saw that as very ungentlemanly.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
My father wasn't great at presents but he knew that he was expected to give them. Very traditional. Mum could always expect flowers at Christmas, her birthday and Valentine's (which was also their anniversary). After I was around 17 he recruited me to buy most of my mum's presents and repaid me but at Christmas and birthdays he would always take a trip to the jeweller and get presents for me and Mum. No great imagination but nice - he took guidance from the jewellers who knew us! That's what he was brought up to do (born in 1920); a man bought his wife and daughter(s) what jewellery he could afford. He used to mutter darkly about my mum's cousin who could well afford expensive stuff but never bought his wife jewellery or anything pretty. He saw that as very ungentlemanly.
Wow, you are so right in being old skool. That is 100% what my dad used to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Do you mean for your daughter or other people? I usually do a photo book for grandparents as I don’t like to send them over digitally as they get put on social media but I cba this year. We got some nice photos from her preschool Xmas photo shoot im just sending them over (with caveat not to post online) and they can get them printed and framed themselves 🤣
Both! I had already bought a few of her pressies early, but I want to buy her some more to make up for the pants time of it she's had, and still have other people to sort too.
To be fair, I got my partner to sort his nana today (we've done her a photo calendar in the end, might arrive before Christmas? Who knows!) and I've just bought a restaurant voucher online for my brother in law and his gf. We actually have very few people to buy for compared to some other people, so I guess we should be grateful!

• Heart
Just spent the last 40 mins unpicking and rewrapping the presents the mil has bought for me, oh and baby son. Tbh pleasantly surprised at what she bought lo, considering she never asked me what he needs/to get.

Oh has got what looks like (couldn’t open some for fear of ripping the paper and having to explain myself lol) the usual bag of tat (no offence to her) I suppose it will end up in another long lost pile in the spare room come the end of January…

Me on the other hand, I’ve been gifted some chocolate (well received), an Avon gift set and the ugliest Reed diffuser I’ve ever seen… I’m not ungrateful but I just hate being wasteful and would much rather receive nothing or a donation to her charity of choice in my name would do… anything but pointless tat I don’t need or want.

On another note, it’s now 4am and I should probably get some zzz’s in, before she wakes demanding breakfast to be served :)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I can't quite get over the posters whose OH's don't get them anything, even from the kids. I find that really sad, unless it's a pre-agreed thing, which it clearly isn't in those cases.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
This is the kind of gift id come on here to complain about as the recipient 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
This is the kind of gift id come on here to complain about as the recipient 🤣
Terrible isn’t it 😂 tbf they honestly have everything they could need. Before we had my daughter it was so hard to buy for them. I’m due a baby in 4 weeks, my daughter has been ill with strep a for 3 weeks and the snow and ice has stopped me from getting to the shops. I have so much on my to do list for the new baby and to make the most of the festive period that’s left for my daughter they aren’t very high on my priority list. They’ve also booked a holiday on my due date so I guess we aren’t on theirs either 🤣

• Sad
Reactions: 4
My Inlaws give us money but hand it to us weeks before Xmas, although this year not yet! We give them money too but I put it in a nice card and get them a little something to open eg a box of chocs, socks etc.

My sons nan got him a 'silver' bracelet last year. He's never worn it and yet it's managed to rust. Found it online for £15. Fair enough if that's all she could afford but her non disabled grandkids get lavished in expensive luxurious gifts. Like my other disabled child's birthday was 'forgotten'. Have nothing to do with them now obviously but how nasty is that.

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Nothing will beat the toilet brush we got from my boyfriend's brother last year 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
My Inlaws give us money but hand it to us weeks before Xmas, although this year not yet! We give them money too but I put it in a nice card and get them a little something to open eg a box of chocs, socks etc.
Question - do you not find giving each other money just cancels out the gift?

Reactions: 17
Tbh me and Mr Lolz stopped doing presents. When we need or want something we tend to buy it.
Plus Mr Lolz is really crap at buying presents so he had to take me with him 😂

But I actually prefer this. I feel like we have too much stuff and I’m donating and throwing out and selling but I still have so much crap 😭 where does it all come from!
Same. We only buy presents for the children at Christmas. Christmas is for them after all. We all enjoy good food/drinks though.

Reactions: 2
Question - do you not find giving each other money just cancels out the gift?
I’d rather have a gift instead of money. They have never asked us if we want anything. This year we decided we needed a new toaster so if they had asked would have asked for one. My Inlaws are odd balls!

Reactions: 4
I’d rather have a gift instead of money. They have never asked us if we want anything. This year we decided we needed a new toaster so if they had asked would have asked for one. My Inlaws are odd balls!
They sound like it - if you asked them for a toaster how do you think they'd react? Oh well, at least you can use the money for a new one!

I utterly hate getting tat and I'm trying to downsize (it's such a waste of money giving me a snow globe when I'd prefer a bottle of olive oil) so money does give you the choice to get something you want. Perhaps that's their rationale?!

Reactions: 8
They sound like it - if you asked them for a toaster how do you think they'd react? Oh well, at least you can use the money for a new one!

I utterly hate getting tat and I'm trying to downsize (it's such a waste of money giving me a snow globe when I'd prefer a bottle of olive oil) so money does give you the choice to get something you want. Perhaps that's their rationale?!
If I was to ask them. I think they would say you buy it n we wrap up it. They are lazy! They don’t even put our money in a gift wallet or anything. When I 1sr got with my husband they would do us all “stockings” which I loved. I’m pretty easy to buy for. Birthdays are rhe Same don’t get presents just money handed to us!
id rather a giftcard least they have given in a bit of thought.

For me it’s more when family buy my kids stuff without basic common sense, a scooter for a 17 month old, a board game ages 5+ for a 3 year old, clothes 2 sizes up - that sort of thing

Reactions: 7
You might not believe this but I was once gifted a used picnic hamper. All the lining was ripped and the gifter had repaired it with plasters 🩹😑.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
Just on Amazon and I saw the dreaded Guiness Book of Records in the 3rd best selling book position.

Thank god I was never bought one of them but every year my boyfriend would be bought a copy with a bloody Beano and sometimes a Riley’s believe it or not by his auntie and every year they would go unread and be stuck on a shelf. One year I cracked and took about 3/4 years worth to the charity shop. They’re such a waste of a tree being cut down, how many guiness world records have really been broken in the past year that you need an entire book for them? She saw it as a cute tradition of buying him them, they were just tat clogging up the flat

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.