Christine McGuinness and Paddy McGuinness

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I reckon Paddy struggled with life as a Dad of autistic children. No doubt it must be hard work, he got the opportunity to work away alot and Christine mainly stayed home with the kids. I think she managed them in her own way and probably took to it all a bit easier. He probably found home life very chaotic and I doubt they had much time together after the kids were born. Some men would pull together and make things work despite the struggles and some men will find release elsewhere.
Unfortunately for Christine, as his job involves periods away from home, it's easier for him to detach from the family unit.
Don't think it'll be long until he goes public with someone new.
Just my take on it.

Reactions: 31
Yes, almost anyone can have one or two autistic traits but that doesn’t actually make them autistic.

Just like you can’t be “a little bit pregnant” because you’re feeling nauseous.

So it’s OK for your children to have a diagnosis but not other peoples children?

Do you really think some parents seek out a diagnosis that carries a ton of stigma because they can’t be arsed to parent them properly?
Yes! And because they don’t see it as carrying a stigma, they see it as something interesting to be associated with.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It's flagged up that old fashioned stigmas surrounding neuro-divergence and in particular, Autism, is still alive and kicking unfortunately.
thats great, but this is a christine and paddy thread. Probably something better in the advice thread to crack on in about it all.

Reactions: 22
My 36 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with ADHD ( privately as the wait on the NHS is so long). She is on medication and it seems to help. However I have done a bit of research and it seems I too have symptoms. Will I be getting a diagnosis or medication well certainly not. I’m 68 and it’s the way I am. Everything doesn’t have to have a label. It’s either Anxiety mental health or a diagnosis of autism or similar condition. It’s just another bandwagon and I apologise in advance to anyone who really has any of these conditions
You don't need to apologise, the people jumping on the bandwagon are the ones doing the damage - not the people who dare to notice it and speak about it.

This is the thing. Christine struggled to fit in at school, hates busy décor, and doesn't enjoy going to restaurants. Does everything have to be pathologised?

She's not disabled. That dividing line between quirks/personality traits/imperfections should be if it actually disables you or not. In autism, this is what "clinically significant impairment" ought to mean. They should make that criteria less open to interpretation.

It is normal to be an introvert, it's normal to be fussy.

They don't need to be encroaching on those of us who will never have jobs, never live independently, can't look after ourselves let alone have children, whose social skills aren't sufficient to "get by" and have no hope of passing for normal.

Those of us who are disabled and have seen our support groups be taken over, seen our entire media representation be replaced by those in the top 0.0001% of functioning ability, and noticed the consequent decline in empathy and understanding for disabling autism, are entitled to speak out about the damage these normies who have nothing in common with us are doing.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Autism isnt a competition it varies just because a person may have it more severely it doesn't give people a right to shut down other autistic people or shade their diagnosis there are no gold stars for who autisms harder 😬 Paddy has always been punching with Christine I don't know why he does it to himself

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
thats great, but this is a christine and paddy thread. Probably something better in the advice thread to crack on in about it all.
Well considering she’s diagnosed Autistic…🤷🏽‍♀️ Pretty much hard to *not* discuss that part of her. And the dismissive tone of her diagnosis across the thread is disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Autism isnt a competition it varies just because a person may have it more severely it doesn't give people a right to shut down other autistic people or shade their diagnosis there are no gold stars for who autisms harder 😬 Paddy has always been punching with Christine I don't know why he does it to himself
Easy for you to say.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It's actually disgusting that you think being disabled is a competition that the more disabled are just trying to win. I'd rather be able to live a normal life, and would be very grateful if I had that ability.

The non-disabled don't have the right to shut us down as having "old fashioned stigma" or being "ignorant" about our own condition.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Well considering she’s diagnosed Autistic…🤷🏽‍♀️ Pretty much hard to *not* discuss that part of her. And the dismissive tone of her diagnosis across the thread is disgusting.
yes, SHE has. We’re now on about 3 pages discussing peoples own personal views, opinions and experiences of autism in all its forms in about 30 other people besides christine.

Reactions: 19
Yes! And because they don’t see it as carrying a stigma, they see it as something interesting to be associated with.
Exactly. The stigma comes from the actual deficits and odd behaviours that seem strange or hard to understand for others. That's without getting into the challenging behaviours that some people have.

People seem to be mistaking the actual stigma of exhibiting the symptoms of autism, for not validating privileged normies.

If a person or child doesn't actually have any of those traits or has them very mildly - then there is no stigma. But they get all the praise for "overcoming" the symptoms that they barely have.

The thread I visit most on here is the Jack Monroe threads, she is the granddaughter of a millionaire who has made an entire career out of being impoverished and working class, based on a few months in 2012, when due to her own bad decisions and refusing to tell her family, she struggled briefly.

Yet she was always a media darling in papers and on TV and held up as their token "working class" figurehead and go-to lived-experience poverty expert. This is despite her being stereotypically middle class in every possible way. Actual working class people are not welcome in papers or on TV, because the truth is the middle class liberal luvvies in the media find working class people (social values, ways of speaking, interests etc) as a whole to be abhorrent. This clashes with their self-image of wanting to be a champion of the disadvantaged. So media luvvies find relief from their cognitive dissonance by appointing self-identified working class people who have zero in common with the working class.

This is akin to the modern discourse on autism. They want to be compassionate to those with autism. But no one wants to see a visibly socially awkward autistic person who can't work, has no special skills or achievements, and lives in supported housing. So they favour the fashionable autistic people who look and act normal and who are successful. It is easy for their readers/viewers to relate to them, they are seen as inspirational, and the media can pat themselves on the back for representation.

Reactions: 7
Do you really think some parents seek out a diagnosis that carries a ton of stigma because they can’t be arsed to parent them properly?
[/QUOTE]

100%, you would be surprised, especially with Adhd in my experience. There is a certain type of parent, thankfully in the minority, who I see regularly. It's as if they can absolve all their crappy parenting choices with "they're having assessments for adhd" or whatever fits their agenda. Some see it wrongly as a lucrative option, again, which beggars belief in the chase for DLA/UC.
This is my experience which thankfully is only a few families but it does go on.

Reactions: 15
Yes, almost anyone can have one or two autistic traits but that doesn’t actually make them autistic.

Just like you can’t be “a little bit pregnant” because you’re feeling nauseous.

So it’s OK for your children to have a diagnosis but not other peoples children?

Yes I do think so and my teacher friends back this up. Autism rightly isn't seen as a stigma now. Not all parents are interested in their children's education and mental wellbeing.

Reactions: 2
Hi all, so this stays on topic of the celebs in question can someone create a thread in offtopic if people want to talk about autism in general?

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Paddys always annoyed me especially when he's on a daytime show getting interviewed it's all the big bravado.. but behind closed doors I bet he's quiet?

Reactions: 10