Childfree by Choice #9 "No baby on board, feel free to crash into me."

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Welcome to the new thread. Thanks to @pecan for the new title and the new car window sticker inspo šŸ˜‚

Previous thread:

For those who are worrying about their lonely senior years, let's all consider this šŸ˜¬

funny-childfree-life-humor-63c79e045b1a8__700.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 45
For anybody that would like to answer

What is the best solution for somebody that is sure they donā€™t want to have children in their 20s, is sterilisation a better option or is it too drastic/permanent and should eggs be frozen in case thereā€™s a change of mind in 30s?

What is the best solution for somebody that is sure they donā€™t want to have children in their 20s, is sterilisation a better option or is it too drastic/permanent and should eggs be frozen in case thereā€™s a change of mind in 30s?
Iā€™m not sure if you can be sterilised in your 20s unfortunately, maybe it can be done privately? I just had a quick look at the NHS website and found the following shocking content:

- You may be more likely to be accepted for the operation if you're over 30 AND have had children.

- Your GP may recommend counselling before referring you for sterilisation.

- Your GP can refuse to carry out the procedure or refuse to refer you for it if they do not believe it's in your best interests.

What year is it because I thought itā€™s 2023 not 1923! Iā€™ve heard that GPs refuse to refer younger women but the counselling thing just blew my mind.. ā€œthis person doesnā€™t want children, they must need therapyā€ šŸ«£

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 25

they would find it incredibly difficult to be sterilised in their 20s without a medical reason tbh - peekachu does an excellent outlining of this above.

freezing eggs is always an option if they think they might change their mind but keep in mind this is very expensive and also involves a lot of fairly invasive procedures. a friend of mine looked into it (and solo ivf) very seriously before realising that she just couldnā€™t afford it. even after the actual taking of the eggs and all that entails, youā€™re paying year on year to keep them in ā€œstorageā€ (as it were). if someone thinks they might change their mind then itā€™s good to have the option there, but i donā€™t think itā€™s as easy as itā€™s made to sound.

Reactions: 6
Just heard some horrible screaming outside, that kind where you donā€™t know if itā€™s a fox or someone actually in trouble. I looked out the window and turns out it was just some kids playing. When is it appropriate to make that kind of noise?!

I would give that to a GP as a reason to get sterilised; no unnecessary screaming in my life.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I had it done in my late 20s, but that was 20 years ago. It took five years of asking my GP for a referral, then the consultant insisted I see a psychiatrist, then the psychiatrist got the hump with me when he tried to hypnotise me to do some regression stuff and it didn't work (I did warn him that my godfather was a hypnotist and said I was one of the few people that couldn't be) and so sat on my case and didn't send a report back to the consultant. Eventually I wrote an extremely polite letter to the primary care trust that said I appreciated they were worried about me making a permanent irreversible decision at a relatively young age, but having a baby was also a permanent irreversible decision and nobody was making women jump through all these hoops before they had one. Got a reply saying they'd look into what was going on and a letter asking me to go in for a pre-op assessment arrived not long afterwards.

I have to say, I haven't regretted it even for a second, it's one of the best decisions I ever made. If I was that age now and wanting it done, I think I'd be saving up and going private. From what I can see from a quick Google, it costs about Ā£3k in the UK.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Oh yay my first thread title! Really itā€™s thanks to @peekachu as they shared the picture of the window sticker. Team effort. šŸ’Ŗ

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh yay my first thread title! Really itā€™s thanks to @peekachu as they shared the picture of the window sticker. Team effort. šŸ’Ŗ
Aww thanks for suggesting the thread title! To be fair I only stumbled upon it on Reddit! Love some childfree humour šŸ˜Š

Reactions: 3
Isnt it hilarious how youre treated like a lunatic for saying you physically do not want to be able to have a baby.
Would be interesting to see how the same GPs deal with gender dysmorphia? Surely if you transitioned youd impact your future ability to procreate?
Unfortunately I think its unlikely to change unless society swayed massively into the same opinion as us

Reactions: 19
I was 22 when I was sterilised, went private as I knew the nhs wouldn't touch me.

Best decision for me as I knew kids were never ever on the card for me.

I had a lovely weekend, hairdresser yesterday, followed by a nap and lovely home cooked food. Sunday was a lazy morning watching a film, pilates, had a facial, another nap (I don't sleep well, not that lazy!!) And then a trip to the cinema which was also child free.

Had the delights of my neighbours children playing basketball today which echoed around the courtyard. If its is not basketball its cricket, so I have to shut the gates so the ball doesn't hit my car. Surely the parents would say to them, there is a green space literally behind their house...play cricket and basketball there so you aren't pissing off all the neighbours.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Been to a family function today. The amount of times I got asked "when are you having a baby" was ridiculous

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
My MIL really upset me this weekend, which I know was the intention but it hit a nerve. She asked me why mr Norfolk and I hadnā€™t had a baby yet and then said was it because I couldnā€™t have children (we tried for over a year and nothing so stopped) and then offered to pay for IVF because Iā€™m getting on and there werenā€™t any babies in the family.
Silly that it upset me really.

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
My MIL really upset me this weekend, which I know was the intention but it hit a nerve. She asked me why mr Norfolk and I hadnā€™t had a baby yet and then said was it because I couldnā€™t have children (we tried for over a year and nothing so stopped) and then offered to pay for IVF because Iā€™m getting on and there werenā€™t any babies in the family.
Silly that it upset me really.
i donā€™t think thatā€™s silly at all :(

people are so thoughtless sometimes and itā€™s such an invasive question. iā€™d take the ā€œivf moneyā€ and go on a lovely holiday šŸ™ƒ

i hope youā€™re okay. people donā€™t realise how upsetting it is, especially with the ā€œthere arenā€™t any babies in the familyā€ implication.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Thank you, I know it was meant in a nice way really but certainly the delivery of it was a bit lacking! I think old people lose their tact and just become very to the point, but it threw me a bit as it came out of nowhere. X

• Heart
Reactions: 7
people donā€™t realise how upsetting it is, especially with the ā€œthere arenā€™t any babies in the familyā€ implication.
I feel this all the time. I donā€™t have kids and my older brother has been trying for a few years. My mum especially feels entitled to be a grandma and makes comments fairly regularly. I understand itā€™s how she expected her life to go - but it just heaps on the pressure and makes us both feel terrible šŸ˜”

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I feel this all the time. I donā€™t have kids and my older brother has been trying for a few years. My mum especially feels entitled to be a grandma and makes comments fairly regularly. I understand itā€™s how she expected her life to go - but it just heaps on the pressure and makes us both feel terrible šŸ˜”
same :( iā€™m one of two children in a very small family - both my sister and i donā€™t want children. my mum would dearly love to be a grandmother and is one of the only non-grandmothers in her friendship group. like you, i think itā€™s just how she expected her life to go and she does make comments sometimes. though equally i think sheā€™s starting to see how exhausted some of her friends are doing childcare etc.

itā€™s really tough and lots of love to you and your brother šŸ’™ my mother is one of the only things that gives me pause over being childfree because i know how happy she would be, but equally i would be miserable about it!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I got hounded and abused by my dad because "his name will now die with him" and it's my fault. Well if I had kids they wouldn't have his name anyway, they would have my husbands family name. I also have a brother but he of course never gets any questions about this.

He only wants grandkids as a status thing, to tell people he has some cos everyone else has them as well. He can't stand the fact he hasn't got something everyone else has. Besides he is a horrible, abusive man who has physically hurt me even in my mid 30s, let alone the beatings as a child, so even if i made the mistake of having kids, I would never even tell him I had any. Definitely wouldn't let them anywhere near him.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.