Childfree by Choice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can’t imagine why anyone would spend their life looking forward to engagement parties and baby showers anyway! There’s way more to life than that.

I’m engaged and I’m getting married, but I’m looking forward to marrying my best friend, I’m not ticking off some hypothetical boxes in my mind.

What I’m looking forward to in life is getting to visit all the places in the world that I want to see.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I think tourist attractions or events should have dedicated days or certain times that adults can book to attend when no kids are allowed. I went to an outdoor Christmas lights event tonight and the whole thing was ruined for me by other people's children. We were tripping over toddlers in the forest in the dark. Held up and our pathway blocked by parents taking photos of their squads of children beside the displays or struggling to push prams along the walking trails.

Please tell me some of you feel the same way? Surely it can't be just me!

Reactions: 39
Well, I’ve just spent a weekend looking after my 11 year old niece. I am exhausted.
since 9am yesterday when she got dropped off, I have not stopped, mentally or physically. The moment she left I exploded at my husband who seems to have been totally unaffected by our temporary parental duties!
Another reminder that I’ve made the right choice.

Reactions: 9
I think tourist attractions or events should have dedicated days or certain times that adults can book to attend when no kids are allowed. I went to an outdoor Christmas lights event tonight and the whole thing was ruined for me by other people's children. We were tripping over toddlers in the forest in the dark. Held up and our pathway blocked by parents taking photos of their squads of children beside the displays or struggling to push prams along the walking trails.

I would honestly pay so much more money for child free cinema viewings, theatre shows, cabins on planes, you name it. I went to the theatre on Friday, why on earth people take really small kids I will never understand. Kids in front of me and behind talking loads and generally making a racket, one started loudly crying and the parents took ages to take it outside (obviously waiting to see if it would shut up). I blame the parents as clearly children can’t be expected to sit still and silently all that time but it’s so selfish and unfair on everyone else. Just wait until they’re a bit older, it’s a waste of money anyway when they’re that little?!

Reactions: 19

Absolutely. We went to see West Side Story on Thursday afternoon and it was bliss - it’s not the type of film anyone takes kids to see anyway, and there were only a handful of people in the theatre at the time we went. What a glorious experience.

As already said, I’d happily pay a premium to enjoy such peaceful, relaxed surroundings.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I'd go one step further and request child-free restaurants and pubs 😂

Take your noisy little cherubs to Harvester or Pizza Hut so that adults can enjoy the nice places in peace 😂🙏

Reactions: 21
I went to a department store earlier today and walked through the toys section - boy oh boy. I almost got an instant headache. If you want something to convince you not to have children, go to any toy store the last weekend before Christmas and you'll be convinced for life! Madness.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7

I agree. Children spoil everything! Whenever I go anywhere there’s always children screaming like banshees and hitting their parents, totally ruins the atmosphere!

I went to a light show the other week and they were giving out little buckets with a fake candle in that had the name of the place on. My other half asked for one and the miserable man said “they’re only for kids”. My other half said “well I’ve paid to get in too?” And they did reluctantly give him one! Feels a bit unfair that kids get everything, even though we have paid to get in as well!

Reactions: 14
Going to come back here later and drop a rant of my own but so far I just wanted to say that I'm glad there is a thread for this and it's active. 💗

Haha, are you me? We went to Chester zoo lights last week and I said exactly the same to me husband.

I also felt instantly on edge when I met a friend for coffee and she let her 4yo run around the place. I would have totally been bitching about that if I'd been sat at another table, but instead I smiled through gritted teeth at her cherub (who admittedly I do adore in small amounts)

I can’t imagine why anyone would spend their life looking forward to engagement parties and baby showers anyway! There’s way more to life than that.

I’m engaged and I’m getting married, but I’m looking forward to marrying my best friend, I’m not ticking off some hypothetical boxes in my mind.

What I’m looking forward to in life is getting to visit all the places in the world that I want to see.
Urgh I hate these events, even weddings. None of my husband's friends have gotten married and I am so relieved that we have less of this nonsense.

Reactions: 2
I love this thread!
It's so nice to know people are happy without children. I've always been extremely torn as I absolutely adore babies and love my nephew but I think the key part is I can give them back. I've never seen the meltdowns my nephew can have.

Plus the amount of money you have to spend on a child. I would much rather spend that on myself by going travelling or eating where I want.
I may change my mind but at the moment I'm happy with my boyfriend and my cats (who I spoil like children anyway!)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Definitely agree on the cinema and theatre thing. Especially when they kick the back of your seat and the parents don’t say anything even when you keep turning around and glaring

Reactions: 7
Definitely agree on the cinema and theatre thing. Especially when they kick the back of your seat and the parents don’t say anything even when you keep turning around and glaring
I don't just turn around and glare I tell them to stop.

It gets glares from the little darlings parents who think their crotch goblins are the most wonderful thing to roam the earth and the bitter childless woman is nasty and horrible, but they rarely say anything back as they know they are in the wrong.

Reactions: 13
Spent this morning Christmas shopping, whilst in town had a little wander rounds some sales. Picked up some nice clothes for myself….didn’t worry about money because I don’t have to fund Santa’s sack for small people nor do I have to fund all the other shite that appears to be expected at this time of year. I’m not stressed at Christmas but simply enjoying my time off work!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I've had my nephew who's 3, for the weekend and I have to say I feel drained! He's going through a bit of a phase at the moment where he just screams until he gets his own way and won't do as he's told 90% of the time. His parents and grandparents give in to him a lot, but I refuse to and I do challenge his behaviour, which he really doesn't like!

I love him to bits, but I really didn't enjoy the weekend like I thought I was going to. I'm dreading christmas day... Normal behaviour will be amplified by sweets, excitement and the early start!

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I've had my nephew who's 3, for the weekend and I have to say I feel drained! He's going through a bit of a phase at the moment where he just screams until he gets his own way and won't do as he's told 90% of the time. His parents and grandparents give in to him a lot, but I refuse to and I do challenge his behaviour, which he really doesn't like!

I love him to bits, but I really didn't enjoy the weekend like I thought I was going to. I'm dreading christmas day... Normal behaviour will be amplified by sweets, excitement and the early start!
You sound like my colleague.

She often looks after her nephew and he is the same with the screaming but he has also started slapping/scratching.

His mum and dad give in to him but my colleague won't.

Sunday was nice, hubby and I were chatting away in bed till 11am then I went to the gym while he shot stuff on his PS5 then wrapped presents while downing Baileys. Oddly at no point did I feel selfish, lonely or worry about who was going to look after me when I’m old. I like our life and fair play to those with kids, but it’s so not for us.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

This was me last year. My nephew, who previously was an utter delight became horrendous. He ruled everything and everyone did everything they could to appease him. He was draining and fell out with me because I wouldn’t take his bossy ways. Hoping this Christmas he is more chilled and less demanding!

Reactions: 5
My husband and I had a blissful few hours at a wine bar where we didn’t have to worry about moving an elf around, family pyjamas, Christmas Eve boxes let alone the day itself.

I’m throwing cash at our relatives kids so they can buy what they want and making some cookies and jam so it looks like I’ve made an effort

Reactions: 11
We took my niece to our local brewers fayre for an all you can eat brekko on Sunday. There was breakfast with Santa thing on, and the place was rammed.
She is 11, sensible and capable of getting her own food - so of she went and cracked on.
What I do not understand is parents (and grand-parents, who are even worse) allowing their small children spend forever serving themselves when it is so busy. The queue for toast and pastries was huge because little frigging Tarquin is stuffing pancakes in the toaster at a rate of knots! The juice bar was a wreck, glasses spilled all over the place. There was baked bean juice & Scrambled egg splattered all over the serving deck. The poor staff were doing their very best, but why are people allowing kids to do this stuff?!?
It was hellish for us (Except the fact I got to eat my own body weight in croissants and bagels)

• Sick
  • Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.