Child labour laws must be urgently strengthened to stop young social media influencers from being exploited by their parents, MPs say

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
100% this. It's great that a start has been made to investigate the issue(s), but it means nothing if it isn't followed up by action and introduction of appropriate laws that are then enforced. Not "guidance" or "codes of conduct" which are routinely ignored.

At the moment it seems to be just a report with recommendations, and there are plenty of those that go nowhere.

Here is the link to the Committee report itself. I'll have a full read later.

MP’s paying lip service as usual,
I feel like it’s a committee that will then go to a sub committee, then a vote, between people not making decisions,
Then a sub sub committee, then it will be “discussed” in parliament.

I could be wrong 😂 I also don’t think many people in real life care with so much going on in the world.

Reactions: 5

Yel

Yeah definitely there won't be a big bang that fixes all these issues that have built up over the last 10+ years.

But it's a start actually mentioning the issues! Before it's only ever been painting influencers as victims and ignoring the whole toxic problematic industry.

Could be some nudges in the right direction and away from the near unregulated mess we currently have.

Australia has clamped down on the fitness influencers.

Reactions: 10
Yeah definitely there won't be a big bang that fixes all these issues that have built up over the last 10+ years.

But it's a start actually mentioning the issues! Before it's only ever been painting influencers as victims and ignoring the whole toxic problematic industry.

Could be some nudges in the right direction and away from the near unregulated mess we currently have.

I agree. Let's not hold our breath but this brings this issue into the public consciousness and will make these exploitative parents feel deeply uncomfortable. Their audiences just might start questioning the whole shebang...

Reactions: 7
It's about time. I've long thought this needed looking into, but I suppose laws need a bit of time to catch up to modern practices.

There have always been pushy parents, but there's a big difference between parents pushing a child to do better in something like a swimming gala or football competition, compared to making them appear/star in videos so they can rake the cash in (often to the tune of millions).

I remember sitting with my niece when she was watching some girl reviewing toys on YouTube and the parents were in the background being annoying. They lived in a massive house and I remember thinking "I bet they've given up work to 'manage' this channel and have moved into this mansion off the proceeds of something their child has earned". It just all felt very wrong and exploitative.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Agreed, the ryan's toy reviews types are the thin end of the wedge.

All of the children that have been turned into content in order to generate money for the parents need to be protected. From mrs hinch using her children to sell child products and the inghams home schooling their kids in order to generate daily vlogs. For many of these people the children is the content.
Well said, but let’s not forget the Grimwade family who continues to procreate solely to use their mixed race kids for views. They do not work and use their children for designer things and to pay their bills, their kids are kept home from school so they can use them to generate income anyway they can.

The Saccone Jolys must be shitting themselves!
Let’s hope something gets done!
And the Grimwades! They might actually need to get jobs to keep up with their lifestyles.

Last edited:
I don’t know why I have images of freelee the banana weirdo being held down by kayla it…what’s her face.

now THATS a throwback 😂

Well said, but let’s not forget the Grimwade family who continues to procreate solely to use their mixed race kids for views. They do not work and use their children for designer things and to pay their bills, their kids are kept home from school so they can use them to generate income anyway they can.

And the Grimwades! They might actually need to get jobs to keep up with their lifestyles.
ah but do they have a transgender 6 year old!! That’s all the rage now. 😬

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I hope something decent comes of this - I can only imagine how many of the 'family' channel kids will one day end up pulling a McCauley Culkin once they realise how much mummy and daddy exploited them for profit!

I hope something decent comes of this - I can only imagine how many of the 'family' channel kids will one day end up pulling a McCauley Culkin once they realise how much mummy and daddy exploited them for profit!
I’ve been saying influencer children are the Disney channel kids of this generation.

My 5 year old has been asking me and their dad for a YouTube channel for a while now. Luckily we both think the same, that she is far too young to realise the repercussions of her decision so the answer is no. You also have no idea who is watching the videos, who’s using them to gather information about them / you, etc.
So instead she walks round the house talking to her “audience” by pretending there is a video camera on her 🙄🤣

No doubt in a few years, she’ll be unhappy we didn’t let her have a channel and then as she reaches her 20’s realise it’s actually because we care about her too much!!

• Heart
wonder if family YouTubers are really going to fall under this. It sounds like they’re focusing on the actual creators rather than young children who are used within/for content but aren’t really classed as influencers. I’m thinking along the lines of toy review channels where the child is the actual face of the channel

Something has got to be done about some of these You Tubers centering their channels on children. You Tube goes out of its way to censor people doing commentary on the news but they let these "family" channels run buck wild until there's a massive public outcry. In the US in 2017 there was this channel called DaddyOFive. It was supposedly a family pranking each other and it was supposed to be just wholesome fun, but if you watched more than a couple of their videos, it quickly became apparent that they were targeting one boy for the pranks, and it was VERY abusive. I can't tell you how many times I saw them hit this kid's head and reducing him to a red screaming ball of rage.

No amount of complaining about this channel did anyone any good until they did this over the top "invisible ink" prank that went viral and made national news. Then Phil DeFranco, a news oriented guy started digging into the channel, made some compilations of all the abusive videos and THEN people started paying attention. It still took legal action and quite a bit of campaigning on Twitter to shame Maryland social services into even looking at the case. Eventually the two younger kids were removed from the abusive family and placed with their bio mom, who had been fighting to get custody of them the whole time.

I've included what I think was Phil's first video on this family. It contains some disturbing footage from the DO5 channel, but keep in mind that that's not even the worst of what they had uploaded at the time. The court told them that they were no longer allowed to upload videos of the two youngest kids, but I don't remember if You Tube actually shut down the channel or not, and this was a child abuse case.

You Tube may have changed some guidelines after this, but the bottom line is that YT incentivizes this stuff and there is not much standing in the way of a parent who wants to torture a child on video for income.

I'm sorry for the rant; I'm going to take a tylenol and see if there's any Jim Beam left in the house.

• Wow
  • Sad
I really do hope they follow through with this. It’s much needed and long overdue. Freeloaders like Simon Hooper/Father of Daughters has used his kids for so much content over the years to the extent of showing one of his children in a hospital bed…really quite disgusting!

What’s worse is so many people have called him and others out on it but they choose to ignore as the £££ is more important to them!

Can’t they see how totally weird it is that strangers on the internet know so much about their children. Just so so wrong.

Sadly their earnings will probably be used on therapy!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Totally agree @Emmadale, we've seen all sorts of inappropriate content featuring Simon Hooper's daughters, but the milking of a child's medical condition and using it for his own gain has been shocking.

On one occasion there was a clearly recognisable other child in a hospital bed across from his own child. When challenged, Simon said he had permission from the parents for that child to be shown in the background. Sure, because that's a perfectly normal conversation to have in a hospital setting?!

Probably a daft question, but have any of the family influencers commented on today's report?

• MPs are urging the government to regulate the growing online influencer market
  • Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee called for tougher advertising rules
  • Concerns that child influencers could be exploited by adults to maximise profits
  • Last year, up to half of children said they watched vlogger or YouTube content
MPs have urged the government to regulate the influencer market amid concerns that child influencers could be overworked to maximise profits.

Ministers have also been told to boost advertising laws to force influencers to make it clear when advertising products - in order for children to develop 'media literacy' and prevent harmful ideas around body image from taking hold.

The report by the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee says child labour regulations should be brought up to date to reflect the growth of child influencers.

'Child viewers, who are still developing digital literacy, are in particular danger in an environment where not everything is always as it seems,' said Tory MP Julian Knight, the chairman of the committee.

'There is a woeful lack of protection for young influencers who often spend long hours producing financially lucrative content at the direction of others.'

He added that 'inaction' had left regulations behind the times in a digital world, and that was particularly concerning when it came to the protection of children.

According to Ofcom, last year up to half of all children said they watched vlogger or YouTube influencer content and 'kidfluencers' can earn as much as £100,000 per month.

Successful child influencers in Britain include 14-year-old Tiana Wilson from Nottingham, who has 11.4million Youtube subscribers, and football expert Lorenzo Greer, 13, with 1.7million followers. There is nothing to suggest these children have been exploited, The Times reports.

In the US, 11-year-old toy tester Ryan Kaji has emerged as a phenomenally successful influencer, with 32 million subscribers and projected earnings of almost $30 million.

The committee urged the Government to conduct a study into the influencer industry so it can be properly regulated as it grows - as well as manage rules around pay standards and practice, and advertising regulators be given more power to close influencer loopholes.

They also called for an official code of conduct for influencer marketing to be commissioned.

Mr Knight said: 'The rise of influencer culture online has brought significant new opportunities for those working in the creative industries and a boost to the UK economy.

'However, as is so often the case where social media is involved, if you dig below the shiny surface of what you see on screen you will discover an altogether murkier world where both the influencers and their followers are at risk of exploitation and harm online.'

The committee's report said it had heard concerns during its inquiry that some children within the influencer economy were being used by parents and family members - who often manage their online accounts - who were seeking to capitalise on the lucrative online market.

'The explosion in influencer activity has left the authorities playing catch-up and exposed the impotence of advertising rules and employment protections designed for a time before social media was the all-encompassing behemoth it has become today,' Mr Knight said.

'This report has held a mirror up to the problems which beset the industry, where for too long it has been a case of lights, camera, inaction.

'It is now up to the Government to reshape the rules to keep pace with the changing digital landscape and ensure proper protections for all.'

---
The times

----
Posting this in one thread so we can chat about it here together rather than in all the individual threads.
Thanks, it's so important as children are being exploited as cash cows now , it's not a trend to bring children up to work its child slave labour. The ego mums really do need to stop producing innocent humans to either cover something up or use for a wage . It's just so heart breaking when their kids are screaming at a shoot or filming its clear they don't 'f' like it.

Reactions: 3
I know someone whose child is a youtube influencer (or whatever they're called). They've told me that their child isn't a child anymore. Doesn't communicate like one. Is constantly performing and doesn't know how to switch off from internet life. My friend can't really do much about it as they are not the main career.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Can’t they see how totally weird it is that strangers on the internet know so much about their children. Just so so wrong.
That is what I don't get with these parents. I presume when they themselves were growing up their parents protected their privacy, and they grew up with normal anonymous lives, but they are not allowing their own children this basic right.
Even wierd things, like a handful of people know what my childhood bedroom looked like, it is a private memory, but for these kids 100s of 1000s of people know. How can that possibly be right?
Nothing is private for them. Some wretched parent filming their every move to stick it online. It is actually hard to imagine that as being your normality.
I hope they all grow up and sue their idiotic parents.

Reactions: 9
I feel like this will be yet another case of “we need”……

but never actually get to the point where it’s “we’re introducing”

paying lip service as usual
I think a lot of the issue is that trying to regulate social media ends up being far more complicated than people think.

Reactions: 3