Child labour laws must be urgently strengthened to stop young social media influencers from being exploited by their parents, MPs say

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Along with the obvious wrong of parents gaining money from posting their children they also put them at risk of ending up on the dark web and viewed by pae**philes. I saw a mini documentary on TikTok a few days ago where they showed some of the images which end up on there and they were fully clothed, normal photos and these sickos rate them on stomach churning things like ****ability - apologies it’s awful to think about but it made me decide to never post a single photo of my kids online ever. And some of these people are literally posting knowing the risks but see the pound signs and don’t care!

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Along with the obvious wrong of parents gaining money from posting their children they also put them at risk of ending up on the dark web and viewed by pae**philes. I saw a mini documentary on TikTok a few days ago where they showed some of the images which end up on there and they were fully clothed, normal photos and these sickos rate them on stomach churning things like ****ability - apologies it’s awful to think about but it made me decide to never post a single photo of my kids online ever. And some of these people are literally posting knowing the risks but see the pound signs and don’t care!
Exactly this !! it makes my blood boil, as these people know the dangers and still post their children all over the place for anyone to see and use the images

Charlotte Louise Taylor being one of them
She has just been in a personal crisis over the weekend as her instagram account vanished. The one she has used for years exploiting her poor kids with no consent on as a mummy influencer
She was beside herself as she was going to loose money as its her job !
Basically pimping out her children on adverts etc
The account is back now and she is over the moon
I get so angry

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
I 100% believe that in 20 - 30 years time people will look back at this 'era' of internet use and wonder what the actual duck was going on and how people couldn't see the blatant exploitation and damage being done to kids and teenagers on social media. This is a great step towards changing for the better when it comes to young people.
one girl I know is a “‘microinfluencer”. She went from living a boho hippy lifestyle and building her “brand” off of that, to very rapidly moving home - getting married to an old friend and having two kids in quick succession.

her brand is now SAHM /home stuff. She makes a point of saying she doesn’t post her kids faces online past a certain age… but most of her stories feature her kids in some shape or form - playing, their outfits etc. Does she post a portrait of her kid? No, but there are vids where their faces are fully visible. There are photos where their faces are only partially obscured. Their outfits, toys and home plus details of their day to day life are still being posted online.

I get that this is her life now, and that in wanting to monetise her own private life there is inevitably some overlap.. but I can’t help but feel it just isn’t quite right. Would people be interested in her if she posted stuff other than her children? probs not as I imagine they take up most of her time and she doesn’t have a lot else going on.

Exactly this !! it makes my blood boil, as these people know the dangers and still post their children all over the place for anyone to see and use the images

Charlotte Louise Taylor being one of them
She has just been in a personal crises over the weekend as her instagram account vanished. The one she has used for years exploiting her poor kids with no consent on as a mummy influencer
She was beside herself as she was going to loose money as its her job !
Basically pimping out her children on adverts etc
The account is back now and she is over the moon
I get so angry
what I don’t get is why people get so invested in mummy influencers? I don’t have kids so maybe that’s why I don’t get the appeal, but I’m not interested in seeing someone else raise their child? Especially when they monetise it. I’d always be wondering about what happens behind the scenes.

I bet THAT Jordan Cheyenne video is an not uncommon scenario, she was just one of the few to make the mistake of accidentally posting it unedited

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
All the odious 'family vloggers' need to be slapped in the face with this. I can't even watch their videos because I feel weird watching some stranger's children go about their day, but Saccone Jolys took it to the next level. I feel terrible for all the innocent, unaware kids who are being used as their parents' cash cow. I don't care what the general opinion is, I think it's a form of abuse. Even if the children say they want to be on camera, they don't understand and won't understand the long term effects until years later. I wouldn't feel a crumble of sympathy for the parents for what they could face but the kids deserve better.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I'd be really interested to see some kind of ruling that the money earned by these children should go into accounts for them that their parents cannot touch. Might change a lot of parent's attitudes toward kidfluencers...
Certainly would make sense if a percentage of it had to.

Reactions: 4
Certainly would make sense if a percentage of it had to.
Unfortunately I don't think a percentage will work. Child actors only get 15% of their earnings in a Coogan trust, mainly because they have to pay so many people/costs to work as an actor (agent, manager, coach, nanny, tutor, etc.). Vlog parents only pay themselves, so losing 15% of $5 million dollars is not enough incentive to discourage child exploitation on social media. Not even losing 90% will dissuade most profitable channels.

Not to mention that there is no way to monitor children employed as influencers in their homes with their parents like child actors are on sets. Working hours/conditions and education can logistically never be monitored and reported. The only way to prevent exploitation on SM, is to make it illegal to profit off of any content that features a minor. They can post all they want for "educational purposes", they just can't make a dime on it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The only way to prevent exploitation on SM, is to make it illegal to profit off of any content that features a minor. They can post all they want for "educational purposes", they just can't make a dime on it.
That may be the case, but I can't see them going that far.

Reactions: 1
These kids have cameras shoved in their faces from the get go. They are cash cows before they are even born, with "influencers" maximising even on their pregnancy announcements.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
A child (especially a baby or a toddler) or someone who is unable to understand/verbalise their thoughts/feelings, should absolutely NOT be plastered all over the Internet, in books etc (and let's be honest, used for content) by their parents or guardian.

About time!
I agree with this entirely!

I had a friend who was a child catalogue model from the age of 8 or so. From what I remember it was her wanting to do it rather than her parents making her do it. The family were well off so didn't need the money (not that she was paid much as this was in the 80s!). Although she got some kudos from it at first, the older we got other kids made comments that would take the piss out of what she was wearing in the photos, especially if it was swimwear or underwear etc. Back then most families had at least one of those catalogues at home so we'd all see her. She gave it up at about 12/13 mainly out of embarrassment/ awkwardness, but even then, those old catalogues were still knocking around for a few years and still being mentioned at school.

That was uncomfortable enough (and I'm sure is the reason why none of her own children have done any modelling themselves) but she was older, she wanted to do it, stopped when she didn't want to any more, and the extent of it was her posing awkwardly in tit clothes in about 20 different pictures. No one other than locally knew her, or her family, where she lived or what her bedroom looked like, or what she had for lunch (stuff we now see with instafamilies every day)

But compare it to now - the instakids of today whose every move is plastered all over the gram from when they're babies, not only do they have no say in it, no chance to consider if it's what they want or not, this stuff is online forever potentially. It's not a catalogue which will get chucked away in 6 months.

I can't imagine how the kids of some of these instabeggars will fare at school given they've been living in the Truman show since birth.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
I feel like this will be yet another case of “we need”……

but never actually get to the point where it’s “we’re introducing”

paying lip service as usual

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I was approached in Covent Garden once by a model scout who was interested in representing my daughter, who was an extraordinarily beautiful child. She was about 8 months old at the time.

Obviously I'm hugely biased 😄 but this confirmed that she is objectively, extremely pretty. The agent was telling me that I could make lots of money and be her manager, etc. Erm, no ta 🤢

My eldest told my youngest this when she was about 8 🙄 😳😆and she was OUTRAGED that I'd "denied her this opportunity". Years later she has said unequivocally, thank duck you said no, mum!! Confirmation that children cannot give consent despite what they might say at the time. Not that ever I doubted this anyway.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
I do hope this is finally addressed, it's a serious cause for concern which should have been clamped down on when it became apparent that parents were exploiting their children.
No one should be exposing children on the net given the evidence of Perverted monsters who use these images for vile reasons the parents who continued to share were in my opinion no better than pimps, children deserve theur privacy and the very young can't consent when they do not understand the repercussions.

Reactions: 6
I feel like this will be a “we need”……

but never actually get to “we’re introducing”
100% this. It's great that a start has been made to investigate the issue(s), but it means nothing if it isn't followed up by action and introduction of appropriate laws that are then enforced. Not "guidance" or "codes of conduct" which are routinely ignored.

At the moment it seems to be just a report with recommendations, and there are plenty of those that go nowhere.

Here is the link to the Committee report itself. I'll have a full read later.

Reactions: 9
one girl I know is a “‘microinfluencer”. She went from living a boho hippy lifestyle and building her “brand” off of that, to very rapidly moving home - getting married to an old friend and having two kids in quick succession.

her brand is now SAHM /home stuff. She makes a point of saying she doesn’t post her kids faces online past a certain age… but most of her stories feature her kids in some shape or form - playing, their outfits etc. Does she post a portrait of her kid? No, but there are vids where their faces are fully visible. There are photos where their faces are only partially obscured. Their outfits, toys and home plus details of their day to day life are still being posted online.

I get that this is her life now, and that in wanting to monetise her own private life there is inevitably some overlap.. but I can’t help but feel it just isn’t quite right. Would people be interested in her if she posted stuff other than her children? probs not as I imagine they take up most of her time and she doesn’t have a lot else going on.

what I don’t get is why people get so invested in mummy influencers? I don’t have kids so maybe that’s why I don’t get the appeal, but I’m not interested in seeing someone else raise their child? Especially when they monetise it. I’d always be wondering about what happens behind the scenes.

I bet THAT Jordan Cheyenne video is an not uncommon scenario, she was just one of the few to make the mistake of accidentally posting it unedited

I’m a mother, but I can’t stand mommy influencers. My guess is that others think a particular influencer is “relatable” or think what they post on social media is really that picture perfect. You can see they ask them questions about everything. It’s alarming since health or breast feeding questions should be taken to actual professionals. There’s been an interesting turn with some of the first bloggers where their kids do discover that their childhoods were plastered all over the internet. None have been positive.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve not read the articles, but I guess this is linked to the select committees held on this matter last year?

I’m pleased the discussion has moved back to the need for regulation of influencers/their advertising - rather than the “woe is me” narrative certain influencers were trying portray because people were calling them out on sites like this for breaking the rules and toxic behaviour.

Reactions: 6