Child labour laws must be urgently strengthened to stop young social media influencers from being exploited by their parents, MPs say

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OMG what an absolute weirdo! Honestly some of these influencers need a smack in the chops. The thought of my Dad taking pictures like that with me as a child makes me feel very uneasy. Very inappropriate but no doubt if anyone were to point that out it would be them who were weird 🙄

Reactions: 6
Reactions: 8
From the above article:
1693507959700.png

Jesus...
1693508009042.png

I don't think this child will emerge from this experience unscathed even though it's stopped. Her mother has just taught her that her boundaries are meaningless and her thoughts, safety and comfort don't matter at an incredibly young age.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Story about Father of Daughters in the mainstream media today further illustrates how children can be put into dangerous situations by influencer parents. Not to mention this is now another awkward part of the children's (massive) digital footprint.

He was paid £15,000 of taxpayer money for this instagram reel.

Reactions: 3
Not child labour as such but I could see a lot of young interest in this ,instead of studying an honest profession 🙄
Is this not something a modern Marketing degree could cover? It just seems too specific to be broadly useful. How do they get 3 years out of it??

Reactions: 3
Is this not something a modern Marketing degree could cover? It just seems too specific to be broadly useful. How do they get 3 years out of it??
The headline is slightly misleading. The degree is in content creation and social media, which is quite a broad area of study.

The headline is slightly misleading. The degree is in content creation and social media, which is quite a broad area of study.
Well, that teaches me to trust a BBC headline.

There is an international university offering a degree in Influencer Marketing. One of the modules is 'drinking water and health' another one 'hygiene and safety'.

There’s slightly more info in this report but it’s just marketing been given a new name to draw young people in
IMG_9780.jpeg
IMG_9781.jpeg
IMG_9782.jpeg
IMG_9783.jpeg

---
Apparently there’s a SM placement included in the course.

Reactions: 2
I can't see anything in your post @monga, it just says "not found"?
Ahh they must’ve removed it? It was about the abuse going on in certain influencer communities, like the Mormon YTer looking at a 30yr prison term for abusing her kids and the need to monitor children in these settings.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Well, it's coming up to two years since the report recommended that child labour laws be "urgently strengthened" to stop children being exploited at the hands of their parents. I see no quantifiable progress, nor any appetite for moving towards getting anything done from those in positions to bring about change.

I think maybe the impetus for change would have to come from a real and visible shift in public tolerance of the way children are used and abused online by greedy, attention-seeking parents. I have no idea whether something like this is likely, given how difficult it is to have even polite criticism heard on social media.

• Heart
Reactions: 4