Cherry Wallis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She’s a Harry Potter youtuber with over 1/2 a million followers now, mostly subscription unboxings but other things too.

I was didn’t know whether to start this, but there’s been a few controversial incidents recently. She’s been mentioned in Gabriella Lindley’s thread a couple of times as she often jumps to Gabby’s defence.
I make this parallel because Cherry has a similar passive-aggressive response to fans/haters (is there a difference?)

In her latest video she didn’t get quite a few Harry Potter references and a lot of people picked up on this. She also seemed quite off in her video - like her heart wasn’t in it. She has this very sweet persona, but I feel she capitalises on that and the mask is slipping more often. I’ve noticed in recent months that her videos also get quite a few dislikes, relative to the viewer count.

Last year, she collabed with the most affordable subscription box (geek gear). She’s now collabing as an add on to lit joy, which will be over £100. Some fans are disappointed at the switch and her response is very Gabby-like! I feel she is taking her fans and following for granted a bit and looking to criticise.

Sadly, like Gabby, I think some of this could be linked to underlying issues in her own life, which she has alluded to. But it isn’t right for fans to take the brunt of this, especially when she is afforded so many opportunities many would only dream of!

Reactions: 5
I think she's backed herself into a corner she can't really get out of with all the Harry Potter stuff.

I've been subscribed to her for years, since she was friends with Emma and the Harry Potter change did feel a little left field. It obviously got a lot of views and new subscribers so it carried on until that's now all she does.

Realistically even a massive fan would get bored of unboxing endless bits of plastic tat with increasingly vague references to harry potter, which will end up sat on a cluttered shelf collecting dust.

Will be interesting to see how much longer she lasts.

A random thing I've noticed is she gets very defensive about her time turner necklace - if someone comments she's not wearing it she'll go on a rant about how she doesn't always have to wear it etc etc

Reactions: 6
Used to follow her years ago... got totally bored of her HP stuff. Liked the make up and other bits she did. Don’t see how all you can do is HP unboxing. Just dull tbh 😏

Reactions: 4
Unfollowed her years ago when she was still friends/enemies with Emma Blackery tbh. Didn't even realise she was still doing youtube.

I wondered when a Cherry thread would appear :) I'm an adult HP fan and there are plenty of other HP channels who still manage to make unboxings entertaining, but good grief she is a bore! Repeats the same clichés and platitudes in every flipping video, I could script them myself!

Perhaps it's the same with all influencers, but the clothes, stationery, make-up hauls etc are setting horrible, materialistic standards for her young audience.

And as @Saskia69 has said, she's incredibly rude in the comments section, even to well meaning messages.

If you can't already tell, I am NOT a fan!

I’m fairly new to Cherry, and had a few months of really enjoying her content which I can only assume must have coincided with a head injury because I soon snapped out of it and realised she’s passive aggressive and clearly feels backed into a corner with all the Harry Potter stuff.

The unboxings are getting so boring because realistically there’s only so much that they can make based on the books so the items are getting more random and obscure.

She clearly thinks she’s better than everyone too. I’m sure she’ll be along to this thread soon to tell us how wrong we are.

Reactions: 3
I wondered when a Cherry thread would appear :) I'm an adult HP fan and there are plenty of other HP channels who still manage to make unboxings entertaining, but good grief she is a bore! Repeats the same clichés and platitudes in every flipping video, I could script them myself!

Perhaps it's the same with all influencers, but the clothes, stationery, make-up hauls etc are setting horrible, materialistic standards for her young audience.

And as @Saskia69 has said, she's incredibly rude in the comments section, even to well meaning messages.

If you can't already tell, I am NOT a fan!

I do feel there's going to be a day of reckoning with this level of materialism and the growing move to sustainibility. There are more boxes that promote small businesses - like accio box - but i somehow feel she will go with the money sadly. I just feel she's lost the spark she once had.

It’s all kicking off on Twitter! The recent JKR comments are causing a real stir, people saying Cherry hasn’t properly called her out - I know Emma has quite an active thread on the other site (can’t find one here).

But so many people are calling Cherry out for not openly condemning JKR like other HP youtubers.

It’s the beauty equivalent of InTheFrow staying silent when L’Oreal showed their racist colours... oh wait.... yup, that happened too!
41BD2FC2-49F0-4B04-A475-5A6D9AC3ABB2.jpeg
40AB7FE7-09B4-497C-948A-815C3E96A1CB.jpeg

Reactions: 2
There was a comment on Cherry’s IG about JKR which asked her why she blocked Emma, she replied saying that she’s not a kind person and that Cherry ended her association with her last month - I wish I’d screenshot it when I saw it, because of course it’s been deleted now!

Edit: I realised after I posted it that's it's a ramble and a half, sorry!

I think it would have been interesting for Cherry (and others) to actually say specifically why they disagree with in JK Rowling's essay. The fact her (and others) are just tweeting about trans people being valid etc is missing the point completely. Her essay pretty much states:

-She wants to keep the legal definition of sex (because of sex based biological differences and also discrimination)
-Safe Guarding concerns
-Freedom of Speech
-The turn around of majority of trans people being born female, now identifying as male, especially with a high proportion of these people having autism (which is under diagnosed in females due to different behaviours). And some of the falsehoods around what appropriate treatment shoul dbe for a young person suffering gender dysphoria
-Females being at risk of male violence

This part particularly stands out as to why people just tweeting condoning JK and saying trans people are valid is missing the point:

I believe the majority of trans-identified people not only pose zero threat to others, but are vulnerable for all the reasons I’ve outlined. Trans people need and deserve protection. Like women, they’re most likely to be killed by sexual partners. Trans women who work in the sex industry, particularly trans women of colour, are at particular risk. Like every other domestic abuse and sexual assault survivor I know, I feel nothing but empathy and solidarity with trans women who’ve been abused by men.

So I want trans women to be safe. At the same time, I do not want to make natal girls and women less safe. When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he’s a woman – and, as I’ve said, gender confirmation certificates may now be granted without any need for surgery or hormones – then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside. That is the simple truth.

I would be really interested to know what parts of what JK has said that Cherry disagrees with, particularly as she is clearly a devoted fan.

I haven't seen her say anything about the Sun front page, although I only have her on Twitter. Has anyone see Cherry say something about this elsewhere?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I am really shocked she said nothing about the sun front page. Tessa Netting acknowledged it, but Cherry has stayed silent. I am interested to see how she adapts her Content moving forward. Given her connection to the studio tour, I feel she more than anyone has a lot to lose by severing ties with all “official” merch.

I’m actually wondering if this is a good Segway into her moving away from HP content. This was she can do it looking like an ultra good person (look my values are so amazing I’m giving less support to something I love), and also not addressing the fact she’s just generally been a bit over it recently but still wanted to make money from YouTube.

edit: she’s also private’s her Twitter it seems

I would be really interested to know what parts of what JK has said that Cherry disagrees with, particularly as she is clearly a devoted fan.
I would be surprised if she had actually read the essay. I imagine she's seen some headlines, seen what other influencers have had to say, then made her own very vague, blanket statement so as not to offend anyone. Seems a bit like the recent BLM issues, in that influencers who have never had been personally affected by racism/transphobia/homophobia etc. just throw out a nice little tweet or Instagram story, vaguely condemning the problem, then never mentioning it again. Shame they won't take a little time to educate themselves and actually use their platform in a constructive way. I suppose I'm generalising; I'm sure (at least I hope) some influencers actually have reacted appropriately to all the recent goings-on.

I’m actually wondering if this is a good Segway into her moving away from HP content. This was she can do it looking like an ultra good person (look my values are so amazing I’m giving less support to something I love), and also not addressing the fact she’s just generally been a bit over it recently but still wanted to make money from YouTube.

edit: she’s also private’s her Twitter it seems
What do you think she could move on to? I do think her make-up looks fantastic so maybe that? I don't think she has the personality to vlog. Maybe she'll become a Disney nut, a la Brummy Mummy of 2.

She also denies to speak up about her (obvious) beef with Geek Gear. A lot of people asked her during her lives about it repetedly, and have been ignored. She thiks about herselfs as 'queen of HP mystery boxes' - she's so much engaged into unboxings and reviews, that she decided to collaborate with Geek Gear to create a box of her dreams. There were two boxes, before suddenly - they split off. From November she's not even receiving any regular GeekGear boxes (but she was in their warehouse in November to take care of the delay crisis and PR). While promoting her own boxes she even acted a bit controversial being rude when it came to other companies' boxes. After a little boycott, she stepped back, being extraordinary nice revieving the same box the following month. As unboxing is a veeeeery easy content, she also grabbed a few Hagrid's Hut boxes (btw amazing boxes) so I thought their creators will be the next ones to collaborate with. Hell no! She announced that she will do less unboxings due to c-word connected delays, and announced her collaboration plans with... LitJoy for... 2021 xD YUP! It's probably the most expensive boxes, a Harry Potter fan can choose, so it wasn't welcomed very well, so again.. people started to ask - what happened to geek gear. She was promoting them with her name on boxes, she made money on it. She could have been overwhelmed with people worried that their boxes won't arrive on Xmas. She was replying to lots of such comments, and that also made her look very connected with the brand. Suddenly everything went silent.

Her income depends on Harry Potter related content. You won't bite a hand that feeds you, they say. Her poor, little actions against transphobic JKR's tweets are nothing more than pinkwashing to me.

I think that's another one of her problems, there's nothing particularly interesting about her compared to everyone else to set her apart. She's done comedy skits but they only got popular because of her friendship with Emma, and because those were the trendy videos at the time. She's had a beauty channel with Emma before and that didn't really pick up either.

I think she'll still do some HP conent, especially if she's got the litjoy box coming out. I think She'll just do more of her generic favourites/tour/routine/haul kind of videos with a couple of HP ones sprinkled in. Rather than doing HP videos with others occasional ones sprinkled in.

I think she felt pressured to speak out and now potentially is regretting it a bit, as previous poster said you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you.

On the subject of her boxes I didn't buy either of them but watched the unboxings, I thought the first one was a bit generic and crap but the second seemed quite nice as far as HP boxes go.

As a side note I think many people who make money from HP, who aim to continue making money from HP (such as Vegard), don't actually condemn what JK Rowling as much as they say they do, I think some of it is performative. I know about separating the art from the artist and all that but for example the statues that are coming down are people that did do some good but that has been overshadowed by the bad things they've done. On a more personal level I love Jeffree Star Cosmetics but since learning about all the atrocious things he's done I don't feel comfortable supporting his products either by buying or recommending them. How can you continue to profit off someone's work while publicly denouncing them? They've all got to choose a side and make up their minds.

I thought this about Vegard and possibly Tessa Netting too - to quote Rowling, their fanbase have very much eaten some of the “woke” cookies and they have such a crossroads: fandom or fiction. Will they still go to the parks, buy official merch? (Funko pops included here!)

Cherry has gone radio silent and I do worry about her mental health. She’s definitely alluded to difficult things in her personal life and, from my vantage point, she definitely doesn’t seem happy in her video. It is very performative as you said above, but sometimes the mask slips and you can see her heart isn’t in it.

The Geek Gear situation is a huge question mark that I feel becomes more obvious the more she ignores questions.When was the last time she did an unboxing of there’s? It does make you wonder what happened, as the box was really well received and they still promote a lot of those products on socials!

Emmas gone off on one about Cherry ghosting her on instagram today. It comes across as super pathetic (and not at all ghosting - she blocked her for essentially sending her fans after her to have a go).

Emma is just So drama hungry it’s unreal, I am intrigued to know if she was indeed the “toxic” friend cherry has referenced in many videos over the past year.

On a side note, I actually really like her new clothing range! That being said, in light of the recent (and very much Ongoing) drama regarding Rowling, i wouldnt be surprised if she has some copyright issues heading her way: Especially for the slug club crest design, as it’s an explicit book reference. She also had Vegard as one of her models, who has been one of the most vocal Potter YouTube critics of Rowling on social media.

Reactions: 1
Emma was such a hypocrite calling Cherry out over not saying something about JK Rowling quick enough, when her partner's hair is cultural appropriation and she rants whenever anyone tries to talk to her about it saying it's not her responsibility - but then why is JK's essay Cherry's responsibility?

Although then again Cherry and the rest of them are hypocrites for trying to denounce Rowling and move away from her publicly, while also being perfectly happy to continue to profit from her work

Emma was such a hypocrite calling Cherry out over not saying something about JK Rowling quick enough, when her partner's hair is cultural appropriation and she rants whenever anyone tries to talk to her about it saying it's not her responsibility - but then why is JK's essay Cherry's responsibility?

Although then again Cherry and the rest of them are hypocrites for trying to denounce Rowling and move away from her publicly, while also being perfectly happy to continue to profit from her work
Couldn’t agree more about both these points. The final one especially - why I think the timing of the clothing line could be rocky ground for them copyright wise!

It’s one thing to do fan art, but another entirely to do explicitly HP related content (like the Slug Club slogan I mentioned) after denouncing her.

I just saw the Vegard commented on her recent post (re: people leaving disgusting comments on her replies to children’s photos) and quite a few people are critiquing him for it! Mostly based on calling out rowling for “disinformation” and not actually saying what the disinformation is.

ps: realise this isn’t a Vegard thread - I’ve just gone off on a bit of a tangent there!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.