Cheer - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Did anyone else feel like series 2 just kept repeating huge blocks? I felt like I had deja vu 😂
I wonder if with Jerry's popularity at the start of them filming he was featured very heavily. Then when it all came out what he'd done they had to go back and do a mad edit to cut his screen time as much as they could.

Reactions: 5
Felt like S2 was about 5 episodes too long, far too strung out.

Felt that they handled the Jerry episode well and felt so much for the twins and their mum, and glad they came forward and addressed it, no matter how hard it was. Hopefully it stops further abuse in the system.

Couldn't stand TVCC at all apart from the coach with the beard, although do recognise it was probably the editing process.

It was a shame we had no real follow up on some of those that left like Morgan, Lexie or s1 Sherbs.

Fingers crossed for Monica and Navarro in Daytona 2022.

Reactions: 9
Felt that they handled the Jerry episode well and felt so much for the twins and their mum, and glad they came forward and addressed it, no matter how hard it was. Hopefully it stops further abuse in the system.
there’s definitely far more awareness - more athletes have come forward and told their stories and raised concerns about other coaches and athletes. I’ve been involved in cheer for 19 years, 8 of those as a coach, and there’s so much of an increased focus around athlete protection and safety now from new training courses to modules added on to old qualification courses. I mean it should have always been there but it’s still a relatively new sport, especially here in the UK and it is maybe something people just didn’t think was an issue. Event providers here are now requiring all coaches attending events with a team to provide a dbs certificate before being issued a coaches pass to attend the event, whereas before only the head coaches required this and didn’t need to provide it for their full team of coaches. We sometimes give coaches passes to team mums so they can access athlete areas to assist with hair and makeup between routines (sometimes have a lot of quick changes) and we won’t be able to do that anymore.

Unpopular opinion, but I don't get maternal vibes from Monica AT ALL.
I think she's very quid pro quo and whatever emotional support she provides is always for her own benefit. Happy athletes = good results.

Also, I'm giving up on watching season 2, as I just can't make it trough a single episode without falling asleep.

Reactions: 18
Season 2 lacked all of what made season 1 special. In season 1 I almost knew the whole routine we saw them practice it so much. We were there for all of the injuries and the tears and the joy when they eventually achieved it.

This season was literally watching TVCC say "duck" repeatedly and seem really bitter. Monica heads off to dancing with the stars. And we saw so little of Navarro actually cheering that the routine at Daytona was completely foreign. It seemed like they didnt even play the actual routine music for Navarro at Daytona.

A pity they didnt leave it at season 1.

Reactions: 10
Aw man, I just saw that there's a new season and started it, then came here to see what the Tattle ladies had to say and well.... Doesn't seem like season 2 will deliver...

Are the guys in these cheer teams supposed to be university age? Some of them definitely look old enough to be in their 30s at least!

Reactions: 6
Unpopular opinion, but I don't get maternal vibes from Monica AT ALL.
I think she's very quid pro quo and whatever emotional support she provides is always for her own benefit. Happy athletes = good results.

Also, I'm giving up on watching season 2, as I just can't make it trough a single episode without falling asleep.
I see 1000% where you’re coming from with Monica not being maternal however I think it’s important to remember that many of the kids in her team have little to no relationship with their mums and so any kind of positive attention from someone of their mothers age is more than likely to create that motherly feeling for the kids for example La Darius, it may possibly be that the feelings are all one sided (on the kids side).
I had a very very turbulent relationship with my own mother (and father) I was always looking for a motherly figure be that a teacher or a sports coach, I had my own daughter at 16 and still continually searched for a mum. In one particular job (I was 20 at the time) we had mentors, my mentor was exactly like Monica, very tough love approach and always wanted me to perform to the upmost of my abilities in my job. I found myself continually wanting to impress her much like these kids do for Monica. She took me under her wing though and I will still always think of her as a mum in many ways.
I also think they don’t show a lot, I was surprised to hear that she paid La Darius’ dorm deposits and had him for thanks giving! However ultimately I have to agree that once the kids leave Navarro and can no longer compete at Daytona for the win, she will lack interest in them.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I see 1000% where you’re coming from with Monica not being maternal however I think it’s important to remember that many of the kids in her team have little to no relationship with their mums and so any kind of positive attention from someone of their mothers age is more than likely to create that motherly feeling for the kids for example La Darius, it may possibly be that the feelings are all one sided (on the kids side).
I had a very very turbulent relationship with my own mother (and father) I was always looking for a motherly figure be that a teacher or a sports coach, I had my own daughter at 16 and still continually searched for a mum. In one particular job (I was 20 at the time) we had mentors, my mentor was exactly like Monica, very tough love approach and always wanted me to perform to the upmost of my abilities in my job. I found myself continually wanting to impress her much like these kids do for Monica. She took me under her wing though and I will still always think of her as a mum in many ways.
I also think they don’t show a lot, I was surprised to hear that she paid La Darius’ dorm deposits and had him for thanks giving! However ultimately I have to agree that once the kids leave Navarro and can no longer compete at Daytona for the win, she will lack interest in them.
I am very sorry to hear you had such a troubled relationship with your parents. Everyone is deserving of love and respect from their families.

I can absolutely see and understand how these kids would see Monica as a mother figure. I think, much like you describe in your personal experience, it is a very natural thing to happen.
I do think her tenacity and drive makes her a good role model and I appreciate some tough love, but, as we both agree, I question her true motivations and just how caring she truly is.

Reactions: 2
I am very sorry to hear you had such a troubled relationship with your parents. Everyone is deserving of love and respect from their families.

I can absolutely see and understand how these kids would see Monica as a mother figure. I think, much like you describe in your personal experience, it is a very natural thing to happen.
I do think her tenacity and drive makes her a good role model and I appreciate some tough love, but, as we both agree, I question her true motivations and just how caring she truly is.
She’d have a hard job loving and then letting go of every student that comes through her program to be fair. What did they say the squad was, 40? She can’t be emotionally attached to 40 young adults who will then move on and leave her! I expect there are a few she forms particular bonds with but mostly she’d have to keep a little distance, for her own survival! And she has her own kids. Don’t get me wrong; she’s hardcore and tough and I’m sure a good role model for many of them.

While I don't think Monica is maternal I do appreciate her as a coach. I can see how the kids take to her and listen for her advice.
Many probably didn't have a person they could reach out to for advice prior to coming to Navarro, but you've got to hand it to Monica for being that person for those kids.
Plus I loved how she helped Lexi in season one and went to the police with her.

What on earth is wrong with this Jada girl from Trinity college and their coach? Just saw them do this exercise where several girls were close to or were vomiting...

Reactions: 2
What on earth is wrong with this Jada girl from Trinity college and their coach? Just saw them do this exercise where several girls were close to or were vomiting...
Suicides? Hard work ngl but he seems to use it as a punishment

Reactions: 1
Suicides? Hard work ngl but he seems to use it as a punishment
Yes, that one - never heard it referenced as that before (I'm not a native English speaker). Seems like an awful punishment. I get that he was angry that a pro team couldn't get a stunt to work, but making people vomit?!
I used to train myself ages ago, not cheer, but swimming, which is obviously much more on the individual. But I don't think any of us would have taken that from our coach.

We give our kids conditioning if the routine isn’t hitting and we feel it’s because people aren’t trying or concentrating or if there’s too much carry on. Not to the extend that they throw up though.

Just finished S2. Side note - I’m in love with Khris from TVCC. I enjoyed their stories and think without the TVCC side of things this season would have been a write off. I can’t decide if I liked Jada or she was obnoxious and only doing it for screen time.

Monica disappointed me, the way she treated them all and just grabbed at the next media opportunity when they were all exhausted. I don’t think she came out of this in a good light this time. Toward the end it looked like she’d lost it and wasn’t really hyping them up or giving them direction anymore. Compared to the TVCC coaches. Even down to when they were looking at scores on day 1, Monica didn’t seem as interested.

Can’t stand Gabi’s parents, even more so in season 1. Gabi is clearly their golden goose and they don’t care what she wants it’s all about fame and money. Wouldn’t be surprised if the poor girl has a meltdown soon.

Reactions: 11
I'm really surprised at the hate for TVCC! I loved them was barracking for them to win. Navarro were too focused on the fame and the tv interviews, advertisements etc esp led by Monica. They were a bit up themselves really.
It would have been boring if Navarro won again and I'm glad they didn't. 💃

Reactions: 11
I'm really surprised at the hate for TVCC! I loved them was barracking for them to win. Navarro were too focused on the fame and the tv interviews, advertisements etc esp led by Monica. They were a bit up themselves really.
It would have been boring if Navarro won again and I'm glad they didn't. 💃
I felt the same! I was so happy TVCC won too.

Reactions: 6
I saw a TikTok stating that Navarro and TVCC are the only teams in their category. She showed the score sheet so I know that to be true however can someone more familiar with cheerleading please explain their national championship? Does whoever wins their category win the title or do they take the highest scores from each category to proclaim an overall champ of the whole championship ? I have no prior experience of cheer so am a bit confused, I’m wondering why the fuss of soooo much dedication when there’s only one other team to compete against? Sorry if this comes across as stupid! Either way they’re clearly exceptional athletes!

I saw a TikTok stating that Navarro and TVCC are the only teams in their category. She showed the score sheet so I know that to be true however can someone more familiar with cheerleading please explain their national championship? Does whoever wins their category win the title or do they take the highest scores from each category to proclaim an overall champ of the whole championship ? I have no prior experience of cheer so am a bit confused, I’m wondering why the fuss of soooo much dedication when there’s only one other team to compete against? Sorry if this comes across as stupid! Either way they’re clearly exceptional athletes!
So there’s only two on their division, TVCC won their division so got the title for that division. But there’s also an award for the overall highest score (Grand National champion) which went to Weber state who compete in a different division where they are the only competing team. Gabi has now moved to Weber.
I did some reading into it after id seen on Twitter Weber won then watched cheer season 2 and was very confused.

• Wow