Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Drugs / gambling? Pay cash and use it. Anything consumable is hidden. The only thing you couldn’t hide is something huge like a sofa 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
They’re not just talking of getting rid of cash there- they’re talking of making the pound a digital currency. I suspect most countries are looking at that but don’t think anyone is doing it

VIP Member
It's rare I use cash now, when I get my coffee (*Pret subscription*) I sometimes buy a cookie, I use cash for that
unless I'm in a Pret that doesn't take cash. The other occasion for cash is used picking up a couple of items from
the supermarket.

I still carry at least £30 with me at all times in case the credit card terminals are down at petrol stations, it's VERY
rare but it does happen.

Oh and I don't use my phone for payments, my phone is used for work purposes and I don't believe in having
all my eggs in one basket.

Dogtanian

VIP Member
I get the cash argument, but it's getting harder to find ATM's around our area. We did have maybe 5-6 banks in the local town - I think we're down to 2 now. The 4x ATM's at the local supermarket have been reduced to 1 machine, and the supermarket doesn't take cash in almost half of the shop-n-scan points. I don't know what the answer is?

Snippysnips

VIP Member
What a wonderful story :) Cash remains king.

Tbh I'd be a bit pissed at that, I hate carrying cash, its far too easy to be lifted, as careful as I am with my purse I still dont trust having large amounts in it, my phone is kept in my front pocket at all times so if my purse was lifted I could with ease close my card down before they had a chance to use it, plus in some cases you are protected an can get it back if it has been spent, if it was only cash I'd be screwed, an at somthing like that where I'd be away for a while I'd need quite a bit of cash on me

emm

VIP Member
I still like using cash but I go to boot fairs, arcades, etc.
My local corner shop only accepts cash for gas/electric payments.
same I go to lots of markets where not alll stalls accept cash, on a day to day bassis I mainly use contacless but I always have some cash with me just in case. I feel bad for homeless people especially, most people now don't carry cash so cannot give anything

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
The latest innovation in self service checkouts at our local Sainsbury's, is a till that allows you to park a small trolly where you would usually place a shopping basket. Thats nice and convenient isn't it? Of of course this facility is only available at the card only self service checkouts!

Homebird44

VIP Member
Slightly off topic but I see a lot of people on the train who have no actual ticket and only buy one on their mobile phone when the Guard or Revenue Officer comes to check tickets. It is giving people an opportunity to only buy when challenged. The railways must be loosing thousands of pounds with people doing this. It's Fare Evasion. And a lot of them play dumb, try using screenshots etc. It takes ages for the inspector to check and sell the tickets. Paper tickets are much easier and there is no need to worry about having enough battery. I put it in my purse and I know it's safe.

I always buy a paper ticket and pay with cash. I like hard currency.
Surely you need a ticket or tap your card when entering or leaving a station? My husband uses the underground everyday for work and just taps his card. I rarely use cash but I do pay with a card rather than my phone.

emm

VIP Member
So even then, they didn’t revert to the readily available safety net of paying by cash? If they don’t use it when technology did down then there’s your answer!
true, but you can't pay by cash on TFL most of the time anymore can you? I know you can;t for buses or at the tube nearest me. I thought you had to buy an oyster and top it up, which not everyone has the money on them to do

Emmelina Ball

VIP Member
I've never heard of a card paying without it pressing onto the contacless machine. My children's school stopped cash years ago, we had to top up their dinner money online which transferred onto their swipe cards.
We’ll believe me or not, doesn’t bother me but it would be a bit weird to make it up 🫣. My children’s school doesn’t have swipe cards I pay the money and the teacher sends the list to the cafeteria for who is for school dinners. Same as school trips and non uniform days etc.

Homebird44

VIP Member
You seen what's happening with law abiding people being sanctioned here just for being Russian? Well do you not think if we went cashless so everyone had to buy things without cash the government wouldn't use that as a way to make the public do as they say? You've a criminal record so we are freezing your bank. You're overweight we are freezing your bank. You were at a protest against us we are freezing your bank.

You're being silly if you think not being able to use cash to buy anything ever again wouldn't be used by the government to pressure and/or punish people.
Blimey I've heard it all now. I mean!!! 😂😂😂😂

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
You can get cash out of the bank or a building society. They break down and somebody has to fix them.
I am aware of this.
I recently bought a fleece from a high street store, I like to see items for real rather than looking at pictures of the item on a website. However after I had purchased the item, I looked up the item on the shop's website out of curiosity. It was considerably cheaper on line, than in the shop. I find this quite disgraceful, yet it will not deter me from going to real shops and paying with cash.

Warpaint

VIP Member
Keep meaning to draw some cash out but haven't for nearly 2 weeks. It's all just too easy on card

VIP Member
I'm using Cash tomorrow, it's the only way I can pay my mechanic, he shut down his shop a few years ago but still carries out
work on my motorcycles, he didn't hang me to dry. It's really the only time I use cash now.

emm

VIP Member
I just phoned my bank and told them I didn’t want it anymore and they sent me out a new card and it just doesn’t have the wireless bit on it! Was a bit of a faff waiting on the card I think it took 4 days to come but because I’d already lifted out my money for that month it didn’t impact me personally but I could see how it would if someone heavily relied on their card! I agree it really does add up whereas if you have cash sitting you can visibly see how much you’ve left to play with for things that are nice to have rather than you need them like hot drinks & bars of chocolate 🤣🤣
ooh I will do this tomorrow, thanks!

Homebird44

VIP Member
Well nationwide texted me to tell me I was overdrawn, but I don’t have an account with them. Computer problems, guess all of their members should check their accounts and have cash to hand
Loads of scams, just block the number. It was HSBC last month.