Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Homebird44

VIP Member
I am a proud cash user. I won't give cashless businesses my custom. I never use my bank card to pay. If you can't train your staff to count coins, what other training are you skipping?
Nobody has to train their staff to use cash, you just do it. I'm in my late 40s and up until 10 years ago worked retail and hospitality jobs, lots of cash being tilled up no problems. I rarely use cash but if somebody prefer it then that's up to them.

no that is what I mean, my friends who lived in east germany prefer cash as they are scared of using cards because it is more monitered , no tmy idea but this is what my friends have said!
I’m sure your friends are lovely but they don’t sound like they know anything more about a cashless society than the rest of us. Maybe they’re just traumatised from growing up in such a horrible situation. Not comparable
To U.K. in 2021

dancingqueen5678

Chatty Member
Load up some gift cards, Starbucks, McDonald's, Pret, Burger King, Tesco or whatever, keep some in your bag and you can give those to homeless people. 😊
I really like that idea but I really worry about homeless people being turned away from those places for being homeless. The homeless people were I used to live were not welcomed into places

Homebird44

VIP Member
Turns your stomach!! Hahaha. How strange. If people are happy to use their phones, that's up to them. I mostly shop online, rarely visit a shop. It takes 2 seconds for me to tap in my security code and see how much is in my bank account. I would have to drive to a cash machine otherwise. Times have moved on.
And not for the better.
[/QUOTE]

Why do you say not for the better?

emm

VIP Member
I'm always astounded by the cash is dead attitude of some people. All the card payment machines went down in South London and there was absolute chaos, shopping trolleys abandoned everywhere. The poor staff were running around trying to get all the perishables back on the shelves.
Maybe we need a pay by cash day to fuck over all the places that are trying to prevent us using it.
Yes I live in South London and remember this! Also when (I cannot remember which) bank payments went down, I remember tube stations in chaos as no one could use contactless or buy tickets

VomitCulture

When the system went down before loads of people I know (I live in London) ended up not able to use their contactless card as payment to get home and had to walk hours, luckily at the time I was using an oyster card so I was okay
Why would they walk hours rather than get a cab, bike or Uber?

Homebird44

VIP Member
Has anyone else noticed, that some of the cash machines have been removed from outside of supermarkets, like Tesco and Sainsbury's? I have also noticed that the cash machine, has been removed from inside a local branch of Sainsbury's. The obvious reason is so that you will be forced to use cards to pay for things. Disgusting.
You can get cash out of the bank or a building society. They break down and somebody has to fix them.

Ineedmorecoffee

Chatty Member
My kids school dinners is cash only. And I’m really annoyed as I gave him a ten pound note this week and it got stolen.
The head of year is fuming and it’s fairly obvious which class the culprit came from so fingers crossed.

I always used to get pound coins to give a set amount daily but my local branch has closed and even the post office won’t give me change. Wtf do they think I’m doing with it, money laundering? So frustrating when in this case cash is the only option.

VIP Member
This is very normal in some areas, in London there’s a strict no cash ruling. It’s contactless or oyster only
In my area we have both, one company is cash only and the other contactless only, really fucked me up
when I was going to the Doctor's one day and the bus only took cash! As it wasn't that far and I didn't
have time for the next bus I got a free ride.

Kim Mild

VIP Member
The people who use cash so people don't know what they have been buying are probably more likely to be hiding purchases from their oh/ family rather than anyone else.

Notgonnalie

VIP Member
My kids school dinners is cash only. And I’m really annoyed as I gave him a ten pound note this week and it got stolen.
The head of year is fuming and it’s fairly obvious which class the culprit came from so fingers crossed.

I always used to get pound coins to give a set amount daily but my local branch has closed and even the post office won’t give me change. Wtf do they think I’m doing with it, money laundering? So frustrating when in this case cash is the only option.
Sorry your money got stolen that’s awful!! Why will the post office not give you change that’s bizarre?! You could ask a shop to give you change too I’ve done that lots of times.

Lindylou

Fewer and fewer people pay cash, had it happen occasionally, especially on a weekend when so many asked for cash back we would have to stop offering it because no money would be left in the till otherwise!

Homebird44

VIP Member
Some people work cash in hand, so it’s more effort for them to go and put money in the bank.

I’m quite traditional in that I lift out my money once a month that I believe I’ll need and then pay for everything cash. i split it all up into envelopes for each type of spending eg food shopping, things the kids need that arise, fuel, gas, electric etc I find it helps me keep to my budgets if I’m handling actual cash whereas when I use my card I feel like I forgot I spent the money because it’s just typing in a pin and then I’m horrified when I check my balance and realise.

I don’t trust wireless because my card paid for someone else’s shopping in Tesco one day and the card was in my bag at the time! So I got the wireless function removed from my card as it scared me how sensitive it was.
I can understand not wanting to go over to contact less, its normally only £30, now £45 and doesn't work if you've used it in a few shops. I sometimes still put my card in and use my pin. My window cleaner, dog walker, mechanic and plumber all get paid via bank transfer, its better for them for the tax man and it saves me getting out cash. Id happily go cashless but they wouldn't work for everybody. My mum cleans houses and gets back via bank transfer as her clients have to declare every penny with the tax man

VomitCulture

the issue was with the card, so surely uber would be not an option? i don;t take uber because of their tax (or lack of) stance but i have no idea, cab is expensive and cycling an hour is not possible if you are as unfit as I am (also bike now is the ones you need your card to rent anyway?)This is how I would have seen it. none of these resolve the no cash issue , even lots of cabs don't accept cash
Depends if the issue was with using contactless or with using their card at all. Uber and I think the bikes too use an app on your phone not contactless so would still work. Uber also works with PayPal too and the trip still goes through even if your cards not working/there’s not enough money on your card.

Kim Mild

VIP Member
You experienced that many problems? I don't work in retail, but take regular card payments off customers and rarely have problems.
Yeah, I don't think our systems at work were strong enough to support the demand. Probably due to their cost cutting, we were late in getting contactless payments.
It was surprising how often customers would try to pay with am expired card, too.

Homebird44

VIP Member
Cash machines should always be made available. There is a limit on how much you can get out and some people like to check their balance if they don't use an online bank account. There is no need for huge amounts of money being passed, its a nightmare when it comes to money laundering and fraud. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I used cash, I give the kids in the family money for their birthdays and its a quick bank transfer.