Caroline Hirons #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've been a follower/semi-fan for quite a few years now, and I've definitely seen a change in her. I think it might have a bit to do with the pressure of both of her adult children started working for her. And given that Jim is pretty much her business partner, we can assume that the "Caroline Hirons brand" pretty much supports the whole family now, so it makes sense that her choices have become more business-oriented. What I have more of an issue with is the TINY tiny pool of brands that she associates with and recommends on a regular basis. She is supposedly "one of the most influential skincare experts" in the business who champions brands that are rooted in Science, yet she has never heard of or tried brands such as SkinMedica, Sente, Neocutis, Defenage and iS Clinical, that's a bit bizarre really since those are some of the most scientifically advanced brands out there. And for someone who claims P50 to be one of her all-time favorite products, she doesn't seem to know anything about the hundreds of other SKUs Biologique Recherche has, makes you wonder if she will ever acknowledge brands that are unlikely to pay her (even Victoria Beckham had to pay for her BR products). Also her (and Sali Hughes') dismissive attitude towards K-beauty bothers me, I don't want to use the "r" word but it certainly sounds arrogant to say ALL brands and products coming out of a country are "trend-based" and "lack substance".
I agree with you RE k beauty i use it and it’s cheaper and does an excellent job their stuff like vitamin C etc is debatable
Also think she’s quite dismissive of TO
But she makes an excuse of its hard to get it’s really not no harder than what she ships from America

I agree with you RE k beauty i use it and it’s cheaper and does an excellent job their stuff like vitamin C etc is debatable
Also think she’s quite dismissive of TO
But she makes an excuse of its hard to get it’s really not no harder than what she ships from America
I think the problem with The Ordianry is for me, when they first came out I didn't have a lot of understanding about skincare but thought I knew a but. I struggled knowing what you used when and in what order. Knowing more about skincare and ingredients I understand the concept more.

I'm not dismissive of the brand but I can understand that most people would want a mixture of products in a formula rather than a 'single' ingredient which is what The Ordinary offer. The Inkey list is a similar price point I believe but you get a proper formula with a few different, complimentary ingredients.

I don't see The Ordinary as a brand for people starring out with skincare but more for people who understand skincare and have issues with certain ingredients who want to avoid them.

Reactions: 2
Question...(doing my best Beyonce ....I always sing 'question' ala Destiny's Child in my head.....ahemmmm)

What does/did she do for a job?

Whats the gen on Please Hold Paula ?

Question...(doing my best Beyonce ....I always sing 'question' ala Destiny's Child in my head.....ahemmmm)

I think the problem with The Ordianry is for me, when they first came out I didn't have a lot of understanding about skincare but thought I knew a but. I struggled knowing what you used when and in what order. Knowing more about skincare and ingredients I understand the concept more.

I'm not dismissive of the brand but I can understand that most people would want a mixture of products in a formula rather than a 'single' ingredient which is what The Ordinary offer. The Inkey list is a similar price point I believe but you get a proper formula with a few different, complimentary ingredients.

I don't see The Ordinary as a brand for people starring out with skincare but more for people who understand skincare and have issues with certain ingredients who want to avoid them.
But it's simply not true that all TO products are "single ingredient" formulas, and I'm not even a fan of the brand, haven't used anything from them in years. If you look at the inci list of the products, most TO products are complete formulas often with 2-3 actives in them, some (like the Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion, Buffet, Glycolic Acid Toner, etc) even have 5+ active ingredients in there. That's more than what a lot of more costly brands can say. The "single ingredient" formulas are mostly in the antioxidant category, in which they are focusing on concentration and a lot of those ingredients like EUK 134 are notoriously difficult to formulate with so they are made to be boosters. Brands like The Inkey List might seem like an equal alternative, but if you look into their product category, the ingredients and formulations they create are mostly very generic proven formulas that aren't difficult to make, TO at least attempt to incorporate advanced and challenging ingredients like EUK 134 into their range.

Also not heard of those brands apart from Skin Medica...
They are all in the same category as SkinMedica, physician-dispensed brands, "medical grade" if you will, even though I hate that terminology.

My point is, she is so big on "science", and claims to champion brands that are on the very forefront of scientific research, she should know those brands, especially iS Clinical which people often ask about on her lives and she just ignores them. These are massively massively popular brands from the States, on the same level of presence as SkinCeuticals, and certainly a lot more relevant than NeoStrata which she mentions every 2 seconds. Them being American (and mostly available in the UK) shouldn't really be a factor because we all know how crazy Caroline is with brands like Tatcha which isn't even available in Europe at all.

Caroline's definition of "scientifically advanced" seems to be stuck on vitamin c derivatives which were largely developed decades years ago. She says the Kate Sommerville Peptide K8 is one the most advanced anti-aging products out there and "loaded with peptides", the thing has one peptide (an old one) in it and not even on the top of the inci list? I will say though Zelens is good on that front, but when he came out with that Melatonin product last year which I know he threw a whole lot of money in to research and trial, she was silent on it and still hasn't mentioned it to this day.

I guess I just expect her to know a lot more than she does, maybe that's asking for too much, but is it? She's literally getting paid hundreds of thousands to know these things. Hell, she doesn't even know what LRP Shaka Fluid is and it's one of the best selling sunscreens in UK AND Europe.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
But it's simply not true that all TO products are "single ingredient" formulas, and I'm not even a fan of the brand, haven't used anything from them in years. If you look at the inci list of the products, most TO products are complete formulas often with 2-3 actives in them, some (like the Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion, Buffet, Glycolic Acid Toner, etc) even have 5+ active ingredients in there. That's more than what a lot of more costly brands can say. The "single ingredient" formulas are mostly in the antioxidant category, in which they are focusing on concentration and a lot of those ingredients like EUK 134 are notoriously difficult to formulate with so they are made to be boosters. Brands like The Inkey List might seem like an equal alternative, but if you look into their product category, the ingredients and formulations they create are mostly very generic proven formulas that aren't difficult to make, TO at least attempt to incorporate advanced and challenging ingredients like EUK 134 into their range.

They are all in the same category as SkinMedica, physician-dispensed brands, "medical grade" if you will, even though I hate that terminology.

My point is, she is so big on "science", and claims to champion brands that are on the very forefront of scientific research, she should know those brands, especially iS Clinical which people often ask about on her lives and she just ignores them. These are massively massively popular brands from the States, on the same level of presence as SkinCeuticals, and certainly a lot more relevant than NeoStrata which she mentions every 2 seconds. Them being American (and mostly available in the UK) shouldn't really be a factor because we all know how crazy Caroline is with brands like Tatcha which isn't even available in Europe at all.

Caroline's definition of "scientifically advanced" seems to be stuck on vitamin c derivatives which were largely developed decades years ago. She says the Kate Sommerville Peptide K8 is one the most advanced anti-aging products out there and "loaded with peptides", the thing has one peptide (an old one) in it and not even on the top of the inci list? I will say though Zelens is good on that front, but when he came out with that Melatonin product last year which I know he threw a whole lot of money in to research and trial, she was silent on it and still hasn't mentioned it to this day.

I guess I just expect her to know a lot more than she does, maybe that's asking for too much, but is it? She's literally getting paid hundreds of thousands to know these things. Hell, she doesn't even know what LRP Shaka Fluid is and it's one of the best selling sunscreens in UK AND Europe.
Thing is, now she’s positioned herself as an influencer, rather than the giver of general skincare advice that she used to be in the good old days. So she won’t mention anything that she’s not paid to mention. Therefore, whether it’s lack of knowledge, being ignorant towards her followers when they ask for advice, or just the fact that these brands aren’t on her financial radar, who knows. We only see what she’s prepared to discuss, for remuneration from brands.

I thinks it’s “Hold please, caller.”, not Paula.
It’s definitely ‘hold the line please, caller’, like you are telephoning an old fashioned switchboard and need to wait (or hold the line) whilst your call is connected to the person you want to speak to 🙂.

Reactions: 1
New this but not Caroline! I find her a bit. Scary. I was recommended to her by a friend who loves skincare and has clear, gorgeous skin, thanks to Caroline. My skin was awful. I have Roseacea, oily skin and dry skin patches.

I've seen a Dermatologist and they had started me on red light therapy for my face. I use this now once a week still but haven't been able to during lockdown.

My skin 5 years ago was terrible. I couldn't use flannels or cotton wool or muslin cloths on my face as it would make the skin burn and peel. I still can't use cotton wool now. I was given a list of ingredients by the dermatologist to avoid and that included salicylic acid. I still can't use it and I can't use oils on my face. Within 12 hours of using a face oil, my skin will erupt in pustules.

Anyway. I was then moved onto a high street skin care regime and I've followed this for the last 3 years and there is and continues to be an improvement on my skin.

Caroline dismissed every product I was using, gave me a recommended list of products and routine and guaranteed my skin would be flawless in a month. It them turns out she had issues with the brand I was using or something had happened. The products she recommended also had salicylic acid in! There was a cleanser, toner and moisturiser for the morning then evening pre cleanse, oil based cleanser, acid toner, eye cream, moisturiser them something else on top.

She told me spf on my face wasn't needed all year round despite my dermatologist telling me I needed to apply it daily. She then went on to tell me that my Vit D shortage is because I wear suncream so stop that suncream and stop the Vit d. She now posts she takes Vit D daily. My body doesn't produce or retain VitD and I get the sun exposure required before I apply suncream. I am under the hospital for this as I was severely ill and my bones were beginning to break while I was asleep (I slept on my arm and it was dead, went to push up on it and broke my wrist) because of how brittle and soft my bones had become. I used to work, get home at 6pm, in bed by 630 and sleep straight till 8am and used my dinner hour for a sleep too. I'm now on a high dose of Vit d thst prescribed by the hospital and it would be dangerous for me to stop taking it. I told her this and she just ignored it, same with the salicylic acid.

I'm so glad I didn't follow her advice, I dread to think what my skin would be like. But then I've had plenty of people who tell me my skincare is too expensive and I've been suckered in and that's why my skin is bad because I use too much and I find that hard to deal with too. Usually the people have nice, clear skin too!

It's the dermalogica range I use, Ultra Calming. The total of products comes to £301 but I get 12 months out each product, sometimes longer

• Wow
Reactions: 15
New this but not Caroline! I find her a bit. Scary. I was recommended to her by a friend who loves skincare and has clear, gorgeous skin, thanks to Caroline. My skin was awful. I have Roseacea, oily skin and dry skin patches.

I've seen a Dermatologist and they had started me on red light therapy for my face. I use this now once a week still but haven't been able to during lockdown.

My skin 5 years ago was terrible. I couldn't use flannels or cotton wool or muslin cloths on my face as it would make the skin burn and peel. I still can't use cotton wool now. I was given a list of ingredients by the dermatologist to avoid and that included salicylic acid. I still can't use it and I can't use oils on my face. Within 12 hours of using a face oil, my skin will erupt in pustules.

Anyway. I was then moved onto a high street skin care regime and I've followed this for the last 3 years and there is and continues to be an improvement on my skin.

Caroline dismissed every product I was using, gave me a recommended list of products and routine and guaranteed my skin would be flawless in a month. It them turns out she had issues with the brand I was using or something had happened. The products she recommended also had salicylic acid in! There was a cleanser, toner and moisturiser for the morning then evening pre cleanse, oil based cleanser, acid toner, eye cream, moisturiser them something else on top.

She told me spf on my face wasn't needed all year round despite my dermatologist telling me I needed to apply it daily. She then went on to tell me that my Vit D shortage is because I wear suncream so stop that suncream and stop the Vit d. She now posts she takes Vit D daily. My body doesn't produce or retain VitD and I get the sun exposure required before I apply suncream. I am under the hospital for this as I was severely ill and my bones were beginning to break while I was asleep (I slept on my arm and it was dead, went to push up on it and broke my wrist) because of how brittle and soft my bones had become. I used to work, get home at 6pm, in bed by 630 and sleep straight till 8am and used my dinner hour for a sleep too. I'm now on a high dose of Vit d thst prescribed by the hospital and it would be dangerous for me to stop taking it. I told her this and she just ignored it, same with the salicylic acid.

I'm so glad I didn't follow her advice, I dread to think what my skin would be like. But then I've had plenty of people who tell me my skincare is too expensive and I've been suckered in and that's why my skin is bad because I use too much and I find that hard to deal with too. Usually the people have nice, clear skin too!

It's the dermalogica range I use, Ultra Calming. The total of products comes to £301 but I get 12 months out each product, sometimes longer
Oh, I’m really sorry to hear you’ve been suffering so much with your skin! Fingers crossed you’re on a good path now with your skincare! Xx

I love that Dermalogica range, it’s the only thing that ever helped me calm down my very angry perioral dermatitis that I always get when I’m emotionally stressed. Caroline never mentions Dermalogica, does she? Does anybody happen to know why?

Reactions: 3
I love that Dermalogica range, it’s the only thing that ever helped me calm down my very angry perioral dermatitis that I always get when I’m emotionally stressed. Caroline never mentions Dermalogica, does she? Does anybody happen to know why?
They don't pay influencers, they sell mainly through salons and word of mouth. So influencers won't breathe a word about them.

I think if you've got an actual skin problem, eg rosacea, any influencers' advice is rubbish and you'll save money going to a dermatologist and getting a medically recommended solution. I too made the mistake of following CH's advice for rosacea, which she treats as if a form of acne rather than an extreme allergic reaction... blasting it with acid gives horrific results and shows she has no idea beyond flogging products.

Reactions: 7

The please hold Paula relates to someone mishearing her saying Please hold caller in a live

• Haha
I've seen Caroline mention Dermalogica. I remember ages ago she said she wasn't a fan, but more recently has recommended some of the products. I think she may have acknowledged the change of mind on her blog somewhere but can't remember what she said. Wonder if her change of heart was due to money...

Reactions: 3
Whilst I don’t really like to comment on someone looks am I wrong in thinking that the ‘work’ Caroline might have had done makes her look like she has invisible wires across the bottom of her cheeks. She didn’t used to look like this did she?
She certainly looks very pumped....I can't remember whether it was on this thread or the Sali hughes one where someone posted a link to a video where a derm explains how fillers move around the face, meaning you need more and more to get the same effect. Essentially, over the long term fillers ruin your skin and make it sag. 🍿

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.