Candice Brathwaite #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't see it as shade? It just seems to be a reference to Sister Sister (the popular black TV show)
I'm not a CB fan but I do think you're all massively misconstruing this book title and forcing a square peg in a circle hole.

Sista/Sis is literally AAVE (African American Vernacular English) that invokes a sense of community with others. It's commonly used as a term of endearment. A quick google will tell you that.

Regardless of one's feelings about CB and how she's evolved in recent years, as well as the recent revelations from her sister re false truths, let's not be deliberately ignorant.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Of all the possible AAVE terms of endearment to use, and of which there are many, it seems more than just coincidental that the one she would chose for her book title is Sister Sista given that she’s very recently and publicly waged a family dispute with her sister. Seems provocative at the very least and to believe she didn’t do so intentionally would be naive. Lets just say if the shoe were on the other foot Candice would look for every possible hidden meaning and more. I’m not buying that she didn’t do so knowing it would cause a stir amongst her family. Come on now 🤨

I don't see it as shade? It just seems to be a reference to Sister Sister (the popular black TV show)
That makes about as much sense as me recently falling out with my brother, then calling my new book The Chuckle Brothers, and then saying “eyyy no shade here just a massive fan of Paul and Barry!! To me to you!” Sorry not buying it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Of all the possible AAVE terms of endearment to use, and of which there are many, it seems more than just coincidental that the one she would chose for her book title is Sister Sista given that she’s very recently and publicly waged a family dispute with her sister. Seems provocative at the very least and to believe she didn’t do so intentionally would be naive. Lets just say if the shoe were on the other foot Candice would look for every possible hidden meaning and more. I’m not buying that she didn’t do so knowing it would cause a stir amongst her family. Come on now 🤨

That makes about as much sense as me recently falling out with my brother, then calling my new book The Chuckle Brothers, and then saying “eyyy no shade here just a massive fan of Paul and Barry!! To me to you!” Sorry not buying it 🤣
Ok so based on the content of the book (as per the short description she gave), what should she have called it?/What other term should she have used?

Seen as you're so well-versed in Black culture.

Reactions: 1
Ok so based on the content of the book (as per the short description she gave), what should she have called it?/What other term should she have used?

Seen as you're so well-versed in Black culture.
Why are you so vexed?? 🤣🤣 Did you chose the title personally??
People have simply seen the ‘coincidence’ of the very recent fall out with her sister and the naming of her book Sista Sister. She’s not stupid. The fact that she got her own mother to sign an NDA so she could disclose private and personal details about her Mother’s HIV status in her last book knowing that her mother would be legally silenced from defending herself shows us that. She’s conniving and loves to subtly stir the pot but you believe what you like. What relevance would an American nineties tv show have to the content of her book exactly? And out of the plethora of things that would be more relevant to the content of her book why chose sister specifically? Given that she’s an author she should be familiar in using words with suggestive and double meaning.
And where did I say I was well versed? I said theres a many other words of endearment in AAVE other than Sister which there is (bae, blud, fam, g..) its a rich language. I doubt her publishers said “Candice for this book title we specifically want a AAVE term of endearment because simply nothing else will fit with the content”

Reactions: 11
Why are you so vexed?? 🤣🤣 Did you chose the title personally??
People have simply seen the ‘coincidence’ of the very recent fall out with her sister and the naming of her book Sista Sister. She’s not stupid. The fact that she got her own mother to sign an NDA so she could disclose private and personal details about her Mother’s HIV status in her last book knowing that her mother would be legally silenced from defending herself shows us that. She’s conniving and loves to subtly stir the pot but you believe what you like. What relevance would an American nineties tv show have to the content of her book exactly? And out of the plethora of things that would be more relevant to the content of her book why chose sister specifically? Given that she’s an author she should be familiar in using words with suggestive and double meaning.
And where did I say I was well versed? I said theres a many other words of endearment in AAVE other than Sister which there is (bae, blud, fam, g..) its a rich language. I doubt her publishers said “Candice for this book title we specifically want a AAVE term of endearment because simply nothing else will fit with the content”
I'm not vexed but I hate when people make dumb reaches just because they don't like someone.

At no point did I disregard the revelations/fall out from her sister. I watched the video shared on here and was just as shocked and disgusted as everyone else.

I also caught a brief snippet of her IGTV and thought the reasoning she gave for the book's title made sense.

According to the caption of the book, it's a series of essays about things she wish she knew etc. etc.

The use of "sis" she said was in relation to how her friends would talk to each other in conversation. It's not uncommon for Black women to refer to one another as "sister".

I don't see Bae, Blud, Fam or G being relevant or well used by WOMEN in popular Black discourse.

With this in mind, I think Sister, Sis suit the context perfectly. If she is using the title to get back at her sister, it's dumb and petty as duck

• Heart
Reactions: 5
She’s just rollerskated across my IG stories (well, she’s about as good on those skates as Grayson was on Cougar Town) doing an advert for Swarovski.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm not vexed but I hate when people make dumb reaches just because they don't like someone.

At no point did I disregard the revelations/fall out from her sister. I watched the video shared on here and was just as shocked and disgusted as everyone else.

I also caught a brief snippet of her IGTV and thought the reasoning she gave for the book's title made sense.

According to the caption of the book, it's a series of essays about things she wish she knew etc. etc.

The use of "sis" she said was in relation to how her friends would talk to each other in conversation. It's not uncommon for Black women to refer to one another as "sister".

I don't see Bae, Blud, Fam or G being relevant or well used by WOMEN in popular Black discourse.

With this in mind, I think Sister, Sis suit the context perfectly. If she is using the title to get back at her sister, it's dumb and petty as duck
Fair enough. I havent seen that interview and if she provided justification for it then maybe theres more to it than meets the eye. We are mature enough to disagree on it without it being a big thing. I’m still siding on her being dumb and petty as duck. I feel for her sister and mother in all of this and dont think she wouldn’t have seen it as a personal dig.

Reactions: 4
Will she be filming for the Marks and Spencer adverts using influencers?

Any thoughts on her latest story? Am I being naive in thinking that maybe people just find him attractive?

Yup, she’s angry and spurting a narrative that attacks well meaning people. The word ‘weaponise’ isn’t out of place, and I’m not fan of Clemmie

Any thoughts on her latest story? Am I being naive in thinking that maybe people just find him attractive?
F’king hell she truly makes everything about race. Why does she jump to the assumption people are saying he’s sexy because he’s black? Not because he has ‘kind eyes’ a lovely smile, good bone structure, intelligence, wit, charm, is a good father or the countless attractive qualities these women perhaps see in him? Nope nope people its because he’s black and the women are fetishising the black men 🥱🥱🥱 She thinks everything whether its a compliment or criticism boils down to race. Don’t get me wrong theres a heck of a lot of racism around and i don’t question she’s been subjected to plenty, but heck sometimes people become so wrapped up in the outrage, self pity, attention of being a victim in a situation that they become a victim in every single situation of every day. It becomes their entire identity. Because without it there is nothing to fall back on and no accountability. Compliment her and tell her she’s talented and ‘its because im black, you’re lying to gain something from me’ ‘its because im black and you assume id be any other way’. Insult her ‘its because im black you wouldnt say that or feel that way if i was a white woman’ ‘its because im black not because simply don’t get along and you think I’m a kn*b.’ Say their husband seems like a nice guy ‘its because he’s black, you're fetishising black men. Don’t look at him or i’ll fight you.’ Yawn next!! Don’t preach about growth when you’re stuck in such a closed mindset.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I went onto his insta, ONE person commented to say his wife's a lucky woman and candi shot her right down 🙄

I went onto his insta, ONE person commented to say his wife's a lucky woman and candi shot her right down 🙄
And that comments now been deleted!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.