Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I liked this episode, at least someone died in realistic circumstances and one of the midwives made a mistake. It would have been more realistic if they blamed it in the pupil midwife though

Reactions: 4
A friend and I were talking this morning, we’ve both watched the show since the beginning. We both agreed that the whole show has lost the gritty realism of when it was based on Worth’s memoirs. Each episode’s ending is utterly predictable. I wasn’t at all concerned for Fred’s prognosis last week. I also don’t like how the characters and 99% of the community they’re based in seem to go by 2024 social justice standards. No way in 1960s East End, would people of colour, Down’s Syndrome, or people who were obviously gay would be so embraced by society. These were the days when pubs had “No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish” signs in the windows. Not to mention an Irish single mother openly living with her illegitimate child in a CONVENT, and working in a respected position as a midwife no less. My eldest aunt had her first child out of wedlock in the late 70s, and my grandad, who was in no way a religious man, didn’t speak to her for months afterwards. My mum had a friend who also had an illegitimate child in the late 70s and was forced to go to a mother and baby home, and her child was taken away. I quite frankly find this rose tinted portrayal of those times an insult to those who’ve struggled in the past because of characteristics they had no control over.
---
A friend and I were talking this morning, we’ve both watched the show since the beginning. We both agreed that the whole show has lost the gritty realism of when it was based on Worth’s memoirs. Each episode’s ending is utterly predictable. I wasn’t at all concerned for Fred’s prognosis last week. I also don’t like how the characters and 99% of the community they’re based in seem to go by 2024 social justice standards. No way in 1960s East End, would people of colour, Down’s Syndrome, or people who were obviously gay would be so embraced by society. These were the days when pubs had “No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs” signs in the windows. Not to mention an Irish single mother openly living with her illegitimate child in a CONVENT, and working in a respected position as a midwife no less. My eldest aunt had her first child out of wedlock in the late 70s, and my grandad, who was in no way a religious man, didn’t speak to her for months afterwards. I quite frankly find this rose coloured portrayal of those times an insult to those who’ve struggled in the past for characteristics they had no control over.
Also the fact that SMJ is the ultimate coffin dodger, she must be about 125! She’ll outlive the student midwives at this point.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
I thought Sister Monica Joan was going to die in her armchair after watching man walk on the moon, but nope, she clings on!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I really enjoyed this episode. Much more about the actual medical issues and not just about the midwives personal lives.
This was probably the best of the series so far, probably because it wasn't all happy endings. I have to say though I love the Turner kids now they speak!

Reactions: 3
A friend and I were talking this morning, we’ve both watched the show since the beginning. We both agreed that the whole show has lost the gritty realism of when it was based on Worth’s memoirs. Each episode’s ending is utterly predictable. I wasn’t at all concerned for Fred’s prognosis last week. I also don’t like how the characters and 99% of the community they’re based in seem to go by 2024 social justice standards. No way in 1960s East End, would people of colour, Down’s Syndrome, or people who were obviously gay would be so embraced by society. These were the days when pubs had “No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish” signs in the windows. Not to mention an Irish single mother openly living with her illegitimate child in a CONVENT, and working in a respected position as a midwife no less. My eldest aunt had her first child out of wedlock in the late 70s, and my grandad, who was in no way a religious man, didn’t speak to her for months afterwards. My mum had a friend who also had an illegitimate child in the late 70s and was forced to go to a mother and baby home, and her child was taken away. I quite frankly find this rose tinted portrayal of those times an insult to those who’ve struggled in the past because of characteristics they had no control over.
---

Also the fact that SMJ is the ultimate coffin dodger, she must be about 125! She’ll outlive the student midwives at this point.
She's 88 in real life!!

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I love the lack of continuity and logic. So, Trixie’s brother has disappeared, so have Fred’s daughters. Cyril’s church was in everyone’s face last week but nowhere to be seen when a black family desperately needed help this week. Trixie is struggling to hold down a husband and a job meanwhile Shelagh seems to work full time with four kids.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I love the lack of continuity and logic. So, Trixie’s brother has disappeared, so have Fred’s daughters. Cyril’s church was in everyone’s face last week but nowhere to be seen when a black family desperately needed help this week. Trixie is struggling to hold down a husband and a job meanwhile Shelagh seems to work full time with four kids.
And who looks after those kids when she and the blessed doctor are saving the world?

Reactions: 7
I don’t know if it’s me but some of the scenes seem weirdly cut and jumpy as well.. it’s like there is/ was supposed to be a lot more there that has been removed to make it fit in the episode time slot, yet it doesn’t quite work or make sense any more

Reactions: 3
I don’t know if it’s me but some of the scenes seem weirdly cut and jumpy as well.. it’s like there is/ was supposed to be a lot more there that has been removed to make it fit in the episode time slot, yet it doesn’t quite work or make sense any more
Ever since this style of editing has been introduced, it has really irritated me. A scene lasts for 5-10 seconds then it jumps to another and the same thing happens again. And with the continious background music, the key changes in the music are very noticeable and jarring. It makes me unable to invest my emotions or get engrossed in the storylines.

Reactions: 4
I used to love CTM, but I think since Barbara left it’s jumped the shark.
I was fully expecting Fred to die last week, but no here he is, right as rain trying to get back to normal! I appreciated they didn’t have him back to work though and he did have a dressing on his hand.
It’s too ‘feel good’ now. It’s lost its grittiness.

Reactions: 6
Does anyone remember the episode where the mom was pretending she was pregnant to protect her teenage daughter. The placenta was delayed so she pulled on the cord and pulled her womb out. That was a bit shocking

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Does anyone remember the episode where the mom was pretending she was pregnant to protect her teenage daughter. The placenta was delayed so she pulled on the cord and pulled her womb out. That was a bit shocking
I remember! That was hard watching!

Reactions: 1
And we seem to see far too much of Miss Higgins organising the way the surgery and maternity home is run. I don't care.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Ong I’ve legit just watched that one!

Not to sound morbid, but I much prefer the first few series when everyone was living in poverty, it was far more interesting then. Now it’s more like watching Eastenders 🙄 plus it was better written then.

Reactions: 10
Not to sound morbid, but I much prefer the first few series when everyone was living in poverty, it was far more interesting then. Now it’s more like watching Eastenders 🙄 plus it was better written then.
Was it written by Heidi in the old days?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.