Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Was it written by Heidi in the old days?
I’m not too sure, but like others have said it’s so different now. They seem to just bounce from scene to scene and you don’t seem to really get invested in the mothers and their stories like you used to.

Reactions: 2
And we seem to see far too much of Miss Higgins organising the way the surgery and maternity home is run. I don't care.
I don't care about Violet being mayor or Matthew's business or whatever job Cyril has this week. Why are they making it so boring?!

Reactions: 8
I haven't watched any of this series so far and I used to love CTM sooooo much. I have it recorded but not sure I can be bothered.

I found the Christmas special too drawn out, and trying to shoehorn in various storylines without doing any of them properly. It had Phyllis and Miss Higgins in almost cameo appearances, detached from everything else that was going on.

A friend of mine used to practically lock herself away, on Sunday nights, to watch it, no disturbance allowed. 😁 It was her absolutely favourite programme. Even she is wavering about it now.

Reactions: 5
A friend of mine used to practically lock herself away, on Sunday nights, to watch it, no disturbance allowed. 😁 It was her absolutely favourite programme. Even she is wavering about it now.
sounds like me, i've recorded but not watched any of this series yet

Reactions: 1
I’m not too sure, but like others have said it’s so different now. They seem to just bounce from scene to scene and you don’t seem to really get invested in the mothers and their stories like you used to.
I think she did the screen writing but it was based on the true memoirs so less scope to pick the storyline

I’ve just started watching from series 1 (just started series 2 now) and every time someone says ‘Chummy’, all I can think of is Zoella and Louise 😳😂

• Haha
I was thinking about this and wondering if anyone here had read them. How much of the early seasons were direct dramatisations of the stories?
All of them. Worth’s books are a fascinating insight into life mid-20th century. The first few series and Christmas specials were very sympathetic to her memoirs, even Chummy was particularly well cast to reflect the person she wrote about imo.

Reactions: 8
All of them. Worth’s books are a fascinating insight into life mid-20th century. The first few series and Christmas specials were very sympathetic to her memoirs, even Chummy was particularly well cast to reflect the person she wrote about imo.
Because the earlier series (in particular the ones based on Worth's memoirs) were successful and attracted a large viewing audience, I've often wondered if the success went to Heidi's head. She probably believes that she's in charge of such a golden gem that no matter how much she tinkers around with it (and makes it so far removed from it's origins) that the fans will always stay loyal.

Reactions: 5
I was thinking about this and wondering if anyone here had read them. How much of the early seasons were direct dramatisations of the stories?
They are definitely worth a read and there is a lot of stuff that they did use in the series.

Reactions: 3
Because the earlier series (in particular the ones based on Worth's memoirs) were successful and attracted a large viewing audience, I've often wondered if the success went to Heidi's head. She probably believes that she's in charge of such a golden gem that no matter how much she tinkers around with it (and makes it so far removed from it's origins) that the fans will always stay loyal.
And centres her husband as the all-knowing, unendingly wise, problem solving hero of practically every story. 🥴

As regards the books, it's years since I read them but I remember them as being very powerful, and well written.

Reactions: 10
Helen Worth's memoirs are a great read and, as others have said, really interesting in terms of a a historical perspective but they have been called into question by others that were there. For example, the story where the midwives have to go onto the ship to deliver the baby belonging to the captain's daughter. Her vagina was so large the midwife was easily able to get a hand in to examine - with the implication that had happened as she had had sex with loads of different men. We know that's utter rubbish these days and couldn't have been the case. It's just as daft as saying the man's penis wears away if he has loads of sex. I expect lots of these memoirs are embellished, which is no bad thing, it's just turning into a complete story. Same with All Creatures Great and Small.

Reactions: 4
I wish Olly Rix would just say whether he’s being written out or not. The clickbait articles are doing my nogging in.

Reactions: 6
Helen Worth's memoirs are a great read and, as others have said, really interesting in terms of a a historical perspective but they have been called into question by others that were there. For example, the story where the midwives have to go onto the ship to deliver the baby belonging to the captain's daughter. Her vagina was so large the midwife was easily able to get a hand in to examine - with the implication that had happened as she had had sex with loads of different men. We know that's utter rubbish these days and couldn't have been the case. It's just as daft as saying the man's penis wears away if he has loads of sex. I expect lots of these memoirs are embellished, which is no bad thing, it's just turning into a complete story. Same with All Creatures Great and Small.
Jennifer worth- Helen Worth plays Gail in Corrie although it would be a turn up if she appeared in an episode

• Haha
Reactions: 11
really interesting in terms of a a historical perspective but they have been called into question by others that were there
I think this is probably the problem with writing the show. Creating dark story lines that drew the early fans in would be difficult without relying on other historical material and accounts which may well not be as gritty

Plus I'm sure there is a risk with how the general public would receive certain things too. The whole thing seems to be partially happening with diversity already

Bloody hell, all the Turners are drips, it’s not just Timmy Turner 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Boring it was a foregone conclusion it would have been one of the Turner kids. Cba with it never thought I would say that🥱

Reactions: 3
Lucky there’s no life or death situations going on in Poplar being as the only GP & nurses have pissed off on a jolly up

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.