Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I now call the show “Call Dr Turner”!
It’s a shame so many characters keep leaving, especially ones I’ve got attached to ( Patsy, Val, Mary Cynthia, Sister Frances) and the storylines are less gritty. The season with the abortion arc was probably one of the darkest one, and the reveal who the backstreet abortionist was a total shock to me.
I don’t miss Lucille that much but wish she’d had a proper send-off/an exit that made sense. I’d have punched her if she called me precious while in labour, as well as Trixie calling me sweetie.
Give me more Nurse Crane ( I thought I was going to dislike her in her first episode, she was so bossy!) and Miss Higgins saving the day/being awesome though they are so very different. I would watch a spin-off of them over the the twee Turner family any day of the week.
Now that I would watch. Both really credible characters and I love their friendship.

When I hear Nurse Crane call someone 'lass' I just know she is going to put everything right.
And I love the way Miss Higgins helps everyone the way she knows best - with officialdom. What she doesn't know about rights and entitlements is not worth knowing. 😁

Reactions: 13
I was wondering if they would make Cyril and the new midwife, the blond one, attracted to each other and we would have a mixed race relationship although that would be totally acceptable in poplar wouldn't it.
Who was the baby that appeared and everyone was like "ooooh Robert is sooo big now" who the eff is Robert?
Thank you!
I thought I must’ve fallen asleep and missed something. Who IS Robert?

Reactions: 2
Isn't he the baby where the mother didn't want the baby so the sister had him instead? Although I thought that was a while a go now!

Reactions: 2
The stories are really undeveloped now. Like others have said, the backstreet abortions was brilliant and the thalidomide story was good too. But they just rush through them. Not long ago they had the story about the working children, gave them some lunch and all was well. The ivf story over Christmas could have been stretched out way more. Ivf is an amazing phenomenon to happen in my lifetime but its all done and dusted in one episode. They touched on racism for lucielle and then couldn't be bothered to develop that any more.
Sooner or later the house is gonna be threatened by closure, Matthew will save the day with the help of doctor Turner and all will be well.

Reactions: 10
The stories are really undeveloped now. Like others have said, the backstreet abortions was brilliant and the thalidomide story was good too. But they just rush through them. Not long ago they had the story about the working children, gave them some lunch and all was well. The ivf story over Christmas could have been stretched out way more. Ivf is an amazing phenomenon to happen in my lifetime but its all done and dusted in one episode. They touched on racism for lucielle and then couldn't be bothered to develop that any more.
Sooner or later the house is gonna be threatened by closure, Matthew will save the day with the help of doctor Turner and all will be well.
It was fertility drugs, not IVF - first IVF baby wasn't till 1978, I think we are around 1968/9 now in CTM

Reactions: 3
It seemed to be shoved into the Christmas special for no good reason.
Except for us to marvel afresh at how wonderful Dr Turner is. 🥴

Reactions: 6
Anyone else concerned that Vanessa Redgrave is going to croak it before the credits roll?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yes, then the sister didn't want him cause he was Downs Syndrome
There was another young lad who was given up by his mum as she was an addict/HIV positive and so her sister raised him. He cropped up as a late teen/young adult in a recent-ish series.
I like when we get references to or see a previous complicated birth/child/situation. Seeing little Susan ( a thalidomide victim) again in one of the more recent Christmas specials was lovely, although the Turners had to go and save the day again, as usual! Her dad was adorable with her though, that was lovely to see.
Not so much of a fan of the one episode issues that all get neatly resolved ( again, usually by Dr Turner intervening as he knows about the super rare condition, has a totally modern approach to it as he probably suffered from it himself and has read up about a new innovative cure/medication).
Every episode I expect to hear a new voiceover actress then a note at the end of the ep saying it is in tribute to Vanessa Redgrave.
I think the actress who plays Nurse Crane ( Linda Bassett, I think) should do the voiceover instead!

Reactions: 6
There was another young lad who was given up by his mum as she was an addict/HIV positive and so her sister raised him. He cropped up as a late teen/young adult in a recent-ish series.
I like when we get references to or see a previous complicated birth/child/situation. Seeing little Susan ( a thalidomide victim) again in one of the more recent Christmas specials was lovely, although the Turners had to go and save the day again, as usual! Her dad was adorable with her though, that was lovely to see.
Not so much of a fan of the one episode issues that all get neatly resolved ( again, usually by Dr Turner intervening as he knows about the super rare condition, has a totally modern approach to it as he probably suffered from it himself and has read up about a new innovative cure/medication).
Every episode I expect to hear a new voiceover actress then a note at the end of the ep saying it is in tribute to Vanessa Redgrave.
I think the actress who plays Nurse Crane ( Linda Bassett, I think) should do the voiceover instead!
I’m confused so perhaps I’ve misunderstood your post.
There can’t have been a character on CTM who was HIV Positive because it’s set in the 1960’s.
HIV/AIDS wasn’t discovered/recognised until the 1980’s.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m confused so perhaps I’ve misunderstood your post.
There can’t have been a character on CTM who was HIV Positive because it’s set in the 1960’s.
HIV/AIDS wasn’t discovered/recognised until the 1980’s.
I wouldn't put it past them to have Dr Turner be the one to discover it🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
How old is dr tuner suppose to be now? aids symptoms started being reported in the lancet in 1980- the rare skin cancer associated with it and the pneumonia that was only affecting gay men. december 81 was the year of the first aids related death in the UK and then terrence higgins in 82.
I honestly think that old man tuner is going to solve the aids crisis in the call the midwife universe, maybe he will be one of the drs to treat freddie mercury.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I don't really know why Cyril is still there? Shouldn't he be with Lucille? Do we really need another man moping around being given random storylines. I appreciate it's tough for an actor to get the sack when their on screen partner leaves but that's the nature of acting 🤷‍♀️ I don't care about his church??

I think there's too many unnecessary characters now. Why do the buckles need a storyline every episode? I want to see the midwives and their lives and the women of poplar having babies like it used to be, not Violet Buckle putting on yet another tea party :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.