Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello I’m just reading through, I used to be good with all my side hustles and cashback sites etc then I got out of practice, so plonking myself here in the hope that if I join the thread it will motivate me to get back into it all!

Reactions: 7
Idk, my pantry leftovers are great. Stuff like curry with rice, stews, tortillias filled with whatever is still in the fridge (the original purpose of a burrito), I bake fresh bread and use up hummus and jams and all sorts. Nothing miserly about it. Sure, it needs creativity and time, and sometimes I have neither so I eat a can of cannelini beans with lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil and a slice of bread. Not the worst meal either.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Twice a week I take the bus to my local Asda superstore specifically for the final reductions. Rarely does it let me down. Went tonight and managed to get some fantastic reductions, quiches, fish cakes, pizzas, ready meals all 20p each, cookies and muffins from the bakery all for 20p. Things like this are a lifesaver we would not be able to afford nice bits like that if they were full price. Also helps that it’s very quiet in the shops right now, people are probably still away seeing family or just have enough food to last. So there seems to be more stuff left over in the shops which is such a help for me

• Heart
Reactions: 13
So what are everyone's budgeting goals for 2022? I really need to save 4k until march to get my house tanked because I have a damp issue that will only get worse, and another 10k by the end of the year for new windows in 2023 (I hope prices won't jump too much between then and now). tit's gonna be super tight, so I'm trying to come up with a plan for it.

So far I have the following ideas:

1) have a monthly budget. Fortunately I have some ideas on how much I need per month. I used to follow the money jars method and I want to do that again.
2) ask for a raise. My team lead said 10% should be possible and by the way recruiting is going for us, I can see why.
3) sell a lot of the stuff I have in my basement that I won't use any more. My dad gifted me his PC monitors, but I already have one. So that's a 100 quid right there. I also have his box sping bed but I can't get comfortable with it. Trying to flog that too.
4) cut out unnecessary expenditure. I already have the cheapest phone and internet plan, I don't have any subscriptions but Spotify. I do donate monthly to the local animal shelter. Both of those are super important to me though. And cheaper dog food, too. But that could be more expensive in the long run if she's not well fed.
5) possibly no holiday this year. I only do one week in Croatia every year, that's about 1500 all together, travel, food, hotel, etc. Kind of a shame, I don't know. I would love to swing it, I will wait and see what the budget says.
6) work more, possibly? Idk, that's a hard one, because I am already pretty at my limit and my life feels like it only consists of work at times already. 40 hrs is already more than enough for me.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
My financial goals next year include

1) save another 10k, to reach £20k savings in total. I managed to save £10k and fully furnish a new flat in 2021 so think how much I could save in 2022 if I have a frugal year!
2) finish paying off my student loan (only £900 to go)
3) begin to make overpayments on my mortgage
4) not to buy any new clothes (I spent far too much on ASOS last year
5) to reach having at least £2k invested in a S&S ISA by the end of the year

I already have a monthly budget on a spreadsheet that I update religiously
I try to work at least one overtime shift a week at my job to boost up my pay
I am saving to buy a house with my partner in 2024 so want to save at least £10k a year until then

• Heart
Reactions: 10
1. Keep tracking all spending in my spreadsheet
2. Do the 52 week saving challenge
3. Buy less clothes and books, my main nonessentials. Books I want to start using my local library more and clothes, I have more than enough already.
4. Get a better job so I can save more

Reactions: 9
I’ve decided for the 52 week money challenge, I’ve written down 1-52 in a notes app and I’m going to pick a random number each week to save rather than doing it in order. So if I have extra money one week I can save the higher amount but if I have not much left I can save a small amount. Also spreads out the highest amounts throughout the year instead of the start or end.

• Heart
My financial goals next year include

1) save another 10k, to reach £20k savings in total. I managed to save £10k and fully furnish a new flat in 2021 so think how much I could save in 2022 if I have a frugal year!
2) finish paying off my student loan (only £900 to go)
3) begin to make overpayments on my mortgage
4) not to buy any new clothes (I spent far too much on ASOS last year
5) to reach having at least £2k invested in a S&S ISA by the end of the year

I already have a monthly budget on a spreadsheet that I update religiously
I try to work at least one overtime shift a week at my job to boost up my pay
I am saving to buy a house with my partner in 2024 so want to save at least £10k a year until then
Wow! Well done!
I want to be more frugal too, as I want to purchase a home.

This year, I saved my target amount, by not going out AT ALL (it's been the most boring year of my life 🤣). But I still treated myself and clothes and bags now and again (not expensive purchases). But if I was more, frugal I could save more, and that's my aim next year.

I think the reason why i was able to save well, is because I had a weekly budget and reviewed it daily- which was a job in itself! I counted every penny I had and made sure I didn't go crazy.

But for 2022, I want a monthly budget (as a weekly budget was a bit too intense for me).

I’ve decided for the 52 week money challenge, I’ve written down 1-52 in a notes app and I’m going to pick a random number each week to save rather than doing it in order. So if I have extra money one week I can save the higher amount but if I have not much left I can save a small amount. Also spreads out the highest amounts throughout the year instead of the start or end.
I like that idea. But I don't know if I'm into that challenge anymore. Especially the weeks where you only have to save £10 or £1 lol, I think I would be tempted to save more.

Reactions: 5
Wow! Well done!
I want to be more frugal too, as I want to purchase a home.

This year, I saved my target amount, by not going out AT ALL (it's been the most boring year of my life 🤣). But I still treated myself and clothes and bags now and again (not expensive purchases). But if I was more, frugal I could save more, and that's my aim next year.

I think the reason why i was able to save well, is because I had a weekly budget and reviewed it daily- which was a job in itself! I counted every penny I had and made sure I didn't go crazy.

But for 2022, I want a monthly budget (as a weekly budget was a bit too intense for me).

I like that idea. But I don't know if I'm into that challenge anymore. Especially the weeks where you only have to save £10 or £1 lol, I think I would be tempted to save more.
I’m going to save more as well but put this savings challenge into a different account. S at the end of the year I’ll have £1374 or whatever it is to spend on a holiday that’s separate from my other savings 😁

Reactions: 4
I’m going to save more as well but put this savings challenge into a different account. S at the end of the year I’ll have £1374 or whatever it is to spend on a holiday that’s separate from my other savings 😁
Good idea, I think I'll do it that way too, in a separate account, as I have 3 ISAs.

As for holidays, I haven't been in a while, and hoping to go in 2022

My goal is to reduce costs where I can. I’m going to use food waste apps to my advantage. My highest bill at the moment is groceries.

• Heart
My 2022 goal is to save €50 a week, every week, 52 weeks in the year and so by end of the year I'll have saved €2,600.
I've also done the maths and added up all the bills each month (rent, groceries, electricity, internet, cat *litter&food, phone credit). Basically that is all the important outgoings each month.
My income - all the bills - savings = leftovers per month
The leftovers are misc money that I can spend on whatever I fancy, like make up, clothes, skincare, bubble tea etc
I feel super organised.
I am also getting ready to start investing this year. Super excited about that.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Oooh good point about investing! I wanted to get stuck into it but I completely forgot.

And recommendations? Are you going to use a banking product? Or an app?

Oooh good point about investing! I wanted to get stuck into it but I completely forgot.

I'm planning on using Degiro. I've researched a few but this 1 seems most simple and straight forward. I was hoping to start it last year but you need an indate passport so I've finally gotten that sent off for renewal and as soon as it is all sorted I am good to go.

Reactions: 2
I started to invest jan last year, I’m quite risky and put it into one stock at a time from reddit advise. I use etoro to invest now, I did use Hargreaves lansdown at first. I’m currently down about £500 but overall I’m up probably by about 5k since I started. I’m hoping what I bought will go up again so I can make back what I’ve lost this time around.

• Heart
I’m quite risky and put it into one stock at a time from reddit advise
The advice I got was to invest in ETF’s. It came from someone who, upon retirement in the aughts, took their pension in one lump sum and invested it. They are, the last I checked, a multi-millionaire.

Reactions: 3

I have a stocks and shares ISA with nutmeg (a do-it-for-me platform as I’m not too clued up on investing and wanted something straight forward) I used the link on the money saving expert website and don’t pay any fees on the portfolio for a year! I chose a socially responsible platform with a risk level of 7/10 and invest between £50-100 every month in it. So far the returns have beat the interest rate had I put the money in a savings account instead. I definitely recommend nutmeg

1.Make sure you have a rainy day fund first before you start investing.

I use freetrade with a general investment account + I still have my vanguard ISA I haven't closed which I had first. Vanguard have the lowest fees compared to other platforms like AJ bell etc. My largest holding with them is in the lifestrategy 100. and I have all of the usual ETFs in there. I just leave money there and just forget about it.

This was my first year of investing and I got £88.06p back in dividends in total.

Personally I go for relatively safe bets which will always be needed despite depressions or everything else going on and companies I like.

People will always need food = Tesco + Sainsburys
Letters & parcels = Royal mail.
National grid + SSE for electricity and gas.

It's always also recommended to hold gold + silver too.

Start with the humble penny channel on youtube. He's good at explaining everything.

I have a Nutmeg S+S ISA separate from my main savings which I started a few months ago. It looked like the easiest one to start with for someone who knows nothing about investing. They automatically set my risk level to 3/10 but I'm tempted to increase it to 5/10. Gonna watch the humble penny channel as I'm keen to learn more.