Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My goal is to reduce costs where I can. I’m going to use food waste apps to my advantage. My highest bill at the moment is groceries.
Tattlers, I took the first step in reducing my grocery bill 😱 I applied and was approved for a new credit card. I might end up switching over my entire spending to this one. They offer benefits that my current card used to such as extending manufacturer warranties an additional year.

It’s from my US bank:

2A8AFF83-FC76-46D9-96D6-17A5098F7C2A.jpeg

8DC0F50E-229B-4F32-9240-81DFA6F14865.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Tattlers, I took the first step in reducing my grocery bill 😱 I applied and was approved for a new credit card. I might end up switching over my entire spending to this one. They offer benefits that my current card used to such as extending manufacturer warranties an additional year.
Just don't forget to check for other offers before you run into that variable APR 😯 jeez, that's eye-watering!

I'm really jealous sometimes of the great cashback options in other countries. We have a thing called "Payback". Its 1% cashback, but not all stores take part. You collect points which you can then spend at partaking stores. With their x3, x5 or x7 point vouchers it's pretty ok.

Reactions: 2
Just don't forget to check for other offers before you run into that variable APR 😯 jeez, that's eye-watering!

I'm really jealous sometimes of the great cashback options in other countries. We have a thing called "Payback". Its 1% cashback, but not all stores take part. You collect points which you can then spend at partaking stores. With their x3, x5 or x7 point vouchers it's pretty ok.
I might do it anyway because it looks like the grocery promotion runs out.

Credit card companies stress me out. I think this might be the year I finally wrap my head around promotions haha.

Now Christmas is out the way, I definitely want to get my spending back under control again.

I am getting married in October, so I’ve got that & the honeymoon to pay for. I do have enough funds to cover them, if we don’t save up enough in time, but I’d rather not use the savings I currently have.

we have no birthdays, anniversaries or other events coming up for a while so I am hoping I can save well🤞

Reactions: 6
I went through my finances last night.. I would be able to save £1000 a month but realistically I’ll give myself a set amount to play with for hair and beauty/clothes etc which will be lower some months. This month I’m booked in for hair, brows, lashes and nails etc so next month I’ll only need an unkept eyebrow wax and nail redo.

I’ve already saved £100s by switching supermarkets in mid December and by not nipping in daily after work just to pick up a few bits that turns into at least £20 a time.

Amazon has been cancelled as it’s too easy to order little bits that add up.

We bought our iPhone handsets outright last year so have a good sim only deals but it’s definitely the food shopping that can drain money.

Reactions: 9
Last year I was made redundant straight after maternity leave and returning part time. I was in about £15k debt from various sources and had been paying minimum payments on my credit cards during my maternity leave year. I am now working full time and have been since March '21. My credit card balances are now just under 10k (£9745) I have them all on a fixed term zero interest deals and paying approx £1000 a month aiming for the fixed rates that run out sooner... once I've paid off another 5k I'm planning to save £500 a month and pay my credit card £500 a month to build savings while I pay off the balance in the fixed term transfer window.

I buried my head in the sand and hadn't realised how bad it had gotten. I feel such a relief that it's finally under £10k and I'm determined to be debt free by 2023. Loving all the tips on this thread. My biggest advice for being in debt is check all your balances, identify the highest interest and check if any of your cards offer balance transfer so you can reduce your interest and focus on paying the balance without high interest getting lumped on every month.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Happy to have found this thread! I'm 11k in debt and I'm aiming to be debt-free by the end of 2022. Off to read through these threads now!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m paid weekly. So what I do is live week to week. And after all bills are paid I live my life as normal. Then before I go to bed on weds night I love what ever is in my a/c into savings. Some times it’s only €20. Then start again Thursday morning! It works for me

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hey folks! So like many of you, I am reslly worried about the energy crisis. My supplier went bust last Jan and we got moved to EDF, who put my bill up from £75 to £167. We cant afford that so got them to charge us £100 instead but that runs out in April and god knows how high it will be then.

I already scrimp on everything. Family of 4 (plus cat) with 2 full time workers. We spend £75 a week on shopping/bus fare/lunches and whatever comes up. I put away £200 a month into my ISA, £40 into Xmas, £20 towards my car bills, rent is going up from £595 to £650 (and lord knows how lucky we are for how low that is!) And then bills are roughly £400 a month. Yet we still struggle. I cant cut back on anything else realistically.

Im starting a new job this month that pays slightly more (and zero travel, so overall about £150 extra) but I am just so scared that we are going to fall into debt again (I managed to pay off £4k during lockdowns) with both my kids growing so fast (and 1 starting a new school with blazers, ties, pe kit costing about £300) in september, I dont know how to keep our heads above water without sacrificing our savings that are for our future iykwim?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Hey folks! So like many of you, I am reslly worried about the energy crisis. My supplier went bust last Jan and we got moved to EDF, who put my bill up from £75 to £167. We cant afford that so got them to charge us £100 instead but that runs out in April and god knows how high it will be then.

I already scrimp on everything. Family of 4 (plus cat) with 2 full time workers. We spend £75 a week on shopping/bus fare/lunches and whatever comes up. I put away £200 a month into my ISA, £40 into Xmas, £20 towards my car bills, rent is going up from £595 to £650 (and lord knows how lucky we are for how low that is!) And then bills are roughly £400 a month. Yet we still struggle. I cant cut back on anything else realistically.

Im starting a new job this month that pays slightly more (and zero travel, so overall about £150 extra) but I am just so scared that we are going to fall into debt again (I managed to pay off £4k during lockdowns) with both my kids growing so fast (and 1 starting a new school with blazers, ties, pe kit costing about £300) in september, I dont know how to keep our heads above water without sacrificing our savings that are for our future iykwim?
How does your ISA work and do you have a savings goal in mind? I’m wondering if £200 today is worth saving given it’s quite a large chunk in terms of what that spending power will be later. I would never say don’t save but I’d definitely look at your savings goals.
If it’s for ‘old age’ look at your interest rate.
The spending power of that £200 today is far greater than it will be in 20 years so if you’re not even going with inflation, Its value is decreasing. I’d reduce my saving and make my life easier.

I’ve had £3k in an ISA for about 20 years. It’s a rainy day fund and I won’t touch it but it’s not much more than the original investment now. 20 years ago £3k would have bought me far more than it will now. When I finally spend it, it’ll probably just about buy me a month’s rent.

Don't know how realistic that is for you but the first obvious one for me would be the car.

How much does it cost you? How often and for what purpose do you use it? Would it be possible to get rid of it and use other options such as car sharing if you really need a car (if that is available in your area)? Could you reduce your petrol cost by using the car for less trips? Also, hot tip, check your tyre pressure regularly. It can save a lot of petrol.

Do you have an emergency fund? I find it gives me a lot of security to have that buffer. So savings for the future are great but I would, if possible, earmark a few hundred or more as "Emergency only". Ideally, it would be 3 to 6 months of all expenses, but that's a high goal post I find. My rule of thumb is: could I afford replacing the washer AND the boiler at the same time? Then I'm good.

And do not feel bad if you have to use some of the emergency money for paying unexpectedly high bills or some such. That's exactly what it's for.

If you have some space, you could try a bit of balcony gardening. FrugalJo on YouTube has done some backyard gardening. She also has fantastic tips on saving and scrimping.

Also, do you have an accurate budget?

Reactions: 3

Food might be another place to review. I find the food shop is where I hemorrhage most of my disposable income. I have food allergies so sometimes I have to buy branded items instead of supermarket own brands depending on the item and the respective ingredients etc, however I am still conscious that most of the pricier items in my trolley are the biscuits and snacks and drinks. This month I am spending a bit of time researching alternative brands or trying to buy less packaged stuff and buy more ingredients to make snacks and puddings etc. It's not easy though as sometimes the money you save on buying ingredients instead of premade costs me more in effort and preparation time. It's a battle of convenience over cost isn't it, plus you want to avoid being miserable by eating cheap stuff that you don't like just to save a few pence. I struggle most weeks to keep to my budget in the supermarket but I want to be better at it.

• Heart
Food might be another place to review. I find the food shop is where I hemorrhage most of my disposable income. I have food allergies so sometimes I have to buy branded items instead of supermarket own brands depending on the item and the respective ingredients etc, however I am still conscious that most of the pricier items in my trolley are the biscuits and snacks and drinks. This month I am spending a bit of time researching alternative brands or trying to buy less packaged stuff and buy more ingredients to make snacks and puddings etc. It's not easy though as sometimes the money you save on buying ingredients instead of premade costs me more in effort and preparation time. It's a battle of convenience over cost isn't it, plus you want to avoid being miserable by eating cheap stuff that you don't like just to save a few pence. I struggle most weeks to keep to my budget in the supermarket but I want to be better at it.
We could cut back on how much meat we use, even shopping at Lidl it soon adds up. We do 1 meat free meal a week, so ill up that to 2 or 3. Issue is my partner is the opposite of fussy, he will eat anything...and everything. Theres never left overs and i have to buy extra as he eats 2 portions in one sitting. (He isnt overweight btw, he burns about 8k calories a day at work and needs feeding lol)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I've picked up some brilliant tips in here already - thank you all!

It's mostly simple stuff that I should have been doing years ago.

Here's what I've implemented so far just in the first few days of January!

Written out every single household and personal expense so I know exactly how much money is going towards what, and how much is leftover.

I've set up automatic transfers on pay day - one into our joint account so bills are always covered, one to pay off my credit card, and one to my savings account (very small since paying off my debt is high priority for this year, but every little helps).

I get paid every 2 weeks so each night before pay day I'm going to check my current account and see if there's any leftover cash I can move into my savings/credit card.

I'm checking my online banking each day - It's surprising how quickly things add up, especially those mindless Amazon purchases...

I've also enrolled in Keep the Change (available through Bank of America for anyone in the US) - they round up all of your transactions to the nearest dollar and put the leftover money into your savings account.

I've switched supermarkets and do online grocery pickups now through Walmart. I've noticed I'm saving about half of my grocery budget doing this! It helps me stick to my list and avoid impulse purchases. I'm also meal planning and going through my pantry before adding anything new to the list. We have so many packets of pasta and canned goods that could be going to some use.

Cutting way back on household and toiletry items unless I absolutely need them. I've gone through phases of following lots of different influencers so my cupboards are full of cleaning products, toiletries, makeup, clothes, etc. Probably what got me into debt in the first place!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
We could cut back on how much meat we use, even shopping at Lidl it soon adds up. We do 1 meat free meal a week, so ill up that to 2 or 3. Issue is my partner is the opposite of fussy, he will eat anything...and everything. Theres never left overs and i have to buy extra as he eats 2 portions in one sitting. (He isnt overweight btw, he burns about 8k calories a day at work and needs feeding lol)
If he and your kids aren't fussy, eggs and potatoes and beans and rice will probably give you the most bang for your buck. Lentils, too. By combining beans or lentils and rice, or potatoes and some dairy based poducts you'll also get complete proteins.

There are loads of great recipes for those kinds of combos. Adding good kinds of oil, like rapeseed or olive oil is a cheap (-ish) way to pad out his calories, and will also get and keep him full 😊

Cutting way back on household and toiletry items unless I absolutely need them. I've gone through phases of following lots of different influencers so my cupboards are full of cleaning products, toiletries, makeup, clothes, etc. Probably what got me into debt in the first place!
Ugh yeah, following those kinds of accounts on insta and tiktok is such a mindfuck. I have seriously considered buying so many cleaning products even though I hate cleaning and I have a cupboard full of professional level cleaning stuff. They're not even a third gone.

(Also a hot tip, industry level cleaning products are amazing and comparatively cheap)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
How does your ISA work and do you have a savings goal in mind? I’m wondering if £200 today is worth saving given it’s quite a large chunk in terms of what that spending power will be later. I would never say don’t save but I’d definitely look at your savings goals.
If it’s for ‘old age’ look at your interest rate.
The spending power of that £200 today is far greater than it will be in 20 years so if you’re not even going with inflation, Its value is decreasing. I’d reduce my saving and make my life easier.

I’ve had £3k in an ISA for about 20 years. It’s a rainy day fund and I won’t touch it but it’s not much more than the original investment now. 20 years ago £3k would have bought me far more than it will now. When I finally spend it, it’ll probably just about buy me a month’s rent.
I really think this is it. Saving is good but £200 a month is out of this world.

I don’t know what you do for a living but if it’s a career where there is growth you should factor in expected pay raises and bonuses as you progress. £200 saved now could look like peanuts as you approach retirement age.

Reactions: 1
Guys, I would be so grateful for some starting tips, now on mat leave about to have our first newborn but so stressed about money as I’m already having pay deducted. Going to apply for UC later but as we both work doubt we’ll receive any help, really need to start budgeting and saving as I don’t want to spend the first few months of baby’s life worrying about money 🙁

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Guys, I would be so grateful for some starting tips, now on mat leave about to have our first newborn but so stressed about money as I’m already having pay deducted. Going to apply for UC later but as we both work doubt we’ll receive any help, really need to start budgeting and saving as I don’t want to spend the first few months of baby’s life worrying about money 🙁
Biggest thing I can tell you for when you’re expecting a baby is that no baby ever knew if it had second hand items and you need about 1/4 of what you think you do clothes, bottles, books, toys etc
wise.
My baby was 10.5 months at Christmas, her fave present was the tub of bits my Nan got her from the charity shops and a bubble wand.
Pretty much all of her toys bar Christmas come from charity shops in general and they’ll go back there when we’re done. Nappies and wipes differ baby to baby shapes but generally Aldi’s are excellent. You don’t need any lotions or potions for bath time - maybe one Wash and one moisturiser when they get a bit bigger but you certainly don’t need a balm, an Oil, a shampoo, a wash etc etc
The library is a great resource for books but also free story time classes.
Please never feel guilty for cutting costs with baby because actually it’s being smart and not being mislead to believe what the con merchant marketeers will make you believe you need. You are absolutely not letting baby down if you don’t have this or that, you are doing your best and providing a stable future.
But things that make your life easier or provide necessities for baby but other than that, everything Is optional and baby won’t know anything about it.

We are wealthy, we can afford to buy whatever but I chose not to and my baby hasn’t suffered at all. Even with the main travel system pram, two small prams (one for Nannies and one for nipping out), two car seats (one being £230+ But used a voucher), a brand new cot and mattress we still haven’t spent as much as the cost of the same travel system brand new and no one would ever know.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Ok deep breath.

Step1: Take the uncertainty out of it.

Go through your bank statements and bills and get an idea of where your money goes.

Categories I would suggest are:
- monthly expenses
- quarterly expenses
- yearly expenses

Now label them:
- rent/mortage and all bills concerning the home (gas, leccy, insurance, ...)
- groceries & personal care
- clothing and gifts
- entertainment
- transport
- everything else

Extend as needed but don't get bogged down with being super exact. It's more important to get an accurate view of what you spend than have perfect categories. This should include all debt payments such as mortgages, car payments, credit cards. Don't forget those one off expenses such as MOTs, new tyres, services for boilers, etc. Doesn't need to be exact, guesses are fine. Those go into the yearly total expenses.

For the quarterly and yearly expenses divide by 4 or 12 and add that to the monthly total expenses.

Now you should have a good overview of your monthly cost.

Next, get your income down on paper. How much do both of you earn? If you don't know how much your maternity pay is going to be, get that info as soon as possible.

Third, savings. Do you have any? Give it a purpose. Emergency savings should come first. If you have 3 to 6 months expenses saved, then you can look at other savings goals like house down payment, etc. Or even a new bag or a holiday, whatever you fancy!

Then you can balance your totals and see if you come out in the black or red.

If you have money left over, congrats, that's awesome. Stick that in a savings account and enjoy 😊

If you are in the red or you're cutting it too close for comfort, start looking at your bills and figure out if there is room for reductions.

Food bills are a good way to save. Shop at Aldis or Lidl. Use a shopping list and only buy that. Avoid prepacked meals and snacks.

If you can and are comfortable with it, breastfeeding can save you money. But don't feel you have too, if bottles are the way for you, then that is a non negotiable expense. Same goes for diapers - cloth diapers can help with expenses and when done, can be resold on ebay for good money. But it is also a lot of work and something you shouldn't feel like you have to do just because of money! Being a mum is hard enough as it is.

Second hand for baby is fine for a lot of stuff except car seats. It isn't recommended to use them second hand. They also have a best by date.

TV and Internet - call them up and say you're thinking of cancelling. They will most likely offer you a rebate. How often do you use the Streaming services you pay for? Can you cut one of those?

Heating and electricity: heavy curtains will help keep the warmth in. Make it a habit to turn off the lights. Unplug electric devices you aren't using as they can still leech money. Turn down the thermostat if possible. 1 degree cooler can lead to savings of up to 5% on energy cost. A cooler bedroom also leads to better sleep, but please talk to your pediatrician on the best temperature for baby to be healthy.

For the future, you could try the money Jars system by Gail Vaz-Oxlade.

Sorry for the massive info dump, wishing you all the best love! You can do this!

• Heart
Reactions: 11