Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m so grateful I saved £30 a month this year for Christmas - every payday I would put £30 away in a monzo pot treating it like a bill to be paid each month and i've now got £300 to spend on xmas presents rather than using all of my December pay to buy them and starting the new year skint! definitely doing it again next year
That’s such a good idea (love Monzo), I’m going to do the same in the new year. I think I’ll “pay” my phone bill twice and bank the £50. Happy shopping 👏🏻

Reactions: 3
I just had a big of a kick in the rear after I realised I can finally pay of my student loan this month. So I've decided to be a bit more conscious of my spending to try and get a better nest egg.

I have to confess that once I started earning good money I got lazy with budgeting. I kick myself as I could have been mortgage free had I been a bit more sensible. But we live we learn eh?

My first goal is to utilise my freezer better with a view to cutting out the "busy day at work" takeaways.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My first goal is to utilise my freezer better with a view to cutting out the "busy day at work" takeaways.
The healthy brands have kicked up their game over the years. I keep organic frozen foods like burritos, pizza, and meatballs on hand. I am yet to have a nice frozen stew or pre-made curry.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I need to get a handle on my spending again next year too. Thankfully, I don't overspend as I pay myself first by putting money in a few savings accounts. I have one for emergencies, one for renovation costs as I'm doing up my house, one for dog emergencies and one for holidays and other stuff.

But I still spend so much money on those lazy days where I just can't be arsed to cook. Or those bimonthly "I deserve this" shops, buying books, wall paint, or tools. Then of course there's travel, where I'm not budgeting for it because it's mostly spontaneous weekend trips. I'd like to budget for those more.

I really like the idea of that money challenge, I've always seen it done from smalles to biggest, but I'd rather I start with the bigger amounts. Somebody also did it by writing the numbers on paper and jumbling them, picking one each week.

Reactions: 2
I need to get a handle on my spending again next year too. Thankfully, I don't overspend as I pay myself first by putting money in a few savings accounts. I have one for emergencies, one for renovation costs as I'm doing up my house, one for dog emergencies and one for holidays and other stuff.

But I still spend so much money on those lazy days where I just can't be arsed to cook. Or those bimonthly "I deserve this" shops, buying books, wall paint, or tools. Then of course there's travel, where I'm not budgeting for it because it's mostly spontaneous weekend trips. I'd like to budget for those more.

I really like the idea of that money challenge, I've always seen it done from smalles to biggest, but I'd rather I start with the bigger amounts. Somebody also did it by writing the numbers on paper and jumbling them, picking one each week.
Those exhausted days are a killer aren't they? You want to be good but your energy is so spent with work, kids, other halves, and/or pets.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Yeah, I work a lot, I have a dog to care for, I have to clean and do laundry, I need to renovate so much still, just had windows replaced and the company is messing me about too which is just tons of energy for nothing.

I also suffer from depression, and while I have it under control most weeks, some weeks are just extremely exhausting. So eating frugally just goes out the window.

I'm really tempted to get a cleaner to come in once a week but then again that feels so bad since it's money that could go towarda savings or my mortgage.

• Heart
Yeah, I work a lot, I have a dog to care for, I have to clean and do laundry, I need to renovate so much still, just had windows replaced and the company is messing me about too which is just tons of energy for nothing.

I also suffer from depression, and while I have it under control most weeks, some weeks are just extremely exhausting. So eating frugally just goes out the window.

I'm really tempted to get a cleaner to come in once a week but then again that feels so bad since it's money that could go towarda savings or my mortgage.
To be honest if you feel like hiring a cleaner will improve your mental health and free you up to tackle something else like the renovation then that's a good investment. I think what a lot of us struggle with is having so much to do all the time and then we get into cycle of exhaustion and overwhelmingness.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
To be honest if you feel like hiring a cleaner will improve your mental health and free you up to tackle something else like the renovation then that's a good investment. I think what a lot of us struggle with is having so much to do all the time and then we get into cycle of exhaustion and overwhelmingness.
I agree with this. I never thought of having a cleaner but recently it's something I have looked into and will most likely get in the new year. I've got 2 young kids and back to work full time soon, I always spend at least an hour a day cleaning and it never feels tidy so I try to do more and just knacker myself out. I feel like taking that pressure off by getting someone to do it will help me massively!

Reactions: 9
I agree with this. I never thought of having a cleaner but recently it's something I have looked into and will most likely get in the new year. I've got 2 young kids and back to work full time soon, I always spend at least an hour a day cleaning and it never feels tidy so I try to do more and just knacker myself out. I feel like taking that pressure off by getting someone to do it will help me massively!
Do it!! You won’t look back and it really is worth it.

I have a small house, and don’t earn a huge wage, but we had a cleaner every fortnight before lockdown - for just under a year I think. Getting home from work on the day she had been was the best part of the week 😂
We justified the cost by saying we didn’t go out as much now we have a baby, and we would sacrifice a few takeaways (we have a lot) to pay for it.

The only problem was….the kitchen was so clean and spotless that we didn’t want to mess it up so always ended up getting a takeaway on the day she had been 😂

We had to cut back over lockdown due to me being on furlough so we couldn’t carry on with her. Now, my partner and I have recently split up and there is absolutely no way I’m spending my free time after working full time and being a single parent cleaning the house! I’m so slow and I hate it, so I’m getting her back in the new year as a treat to myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 10

I have a small house, and don’t earn a huge wage, but we had a cleaner every fortnight before lockdown - for just under a year I think. Getting home from work on the day she had been was the best part of the week 😂
We justified the cost of the cleaner by saying we didn’t go out as much now we have a baby, and we would sacrifice a few takeaways (we have a lot) to pay for it.

The only problem was….the kitchen was so clean and spotless that we didn’t want to mess it up so always ended up getting a takeaway on the day she had been 😂

We had to cut back over lockdown due to me being on furlough so we couldn’t carry on with the cleaner. Now, my partner and I have recently split up and there is absolutely no way I’m spending my free time after working full time and being a single parent cleaning the house! I’m so slow and I hate it, so I’m getting a new cleaner in the new year as a treat to myself.
I'd love that! Coming home to a fresh clean house and knowing I won't be spending so many hours trying to keep on top of it 🤣

We're quite prone to getting a takeaway too but definitely cutting down and putting the money towards it won't feel like such a hit!

Aw I'm sorry to hear that! But I totally agree, get someone else to do it so you can enjoy the time with your baby & have some downtime to yourself! You deserve it ❤

I'd love that! Coming home to a fresh clean house and knowing I won't be spending so many hours trying to keep on top of it 🤣

We're quite prone to getting a takeaway too but definitely cutting down and putting the money towards it won't feel like such a hit!

Aw I'm sorry to hear that! But I totally agree, get someone else to do it so you can enjoy the time with your baby & have some downtime to yourself! You deserve it ❤
Thank you 🥰 You’re so right - I get more time to play with my boy and once he’s in bed it’s my time to myself - not spending the evening doing chores I hate.

If you do get one I hope you feel like it’s taken the pressure off and you can enjoy it 🥰

• Heart

We justified the cost by saying we didn’t go out as much now we have a baby, and we would sacrifice a few takeaways (we have a lot) to pay for it.

We had to cut back over lockdown due to me being on furlough so we couldn’t carry on with her. Now, my partner and I have recently split up and there is absolutely no way I’m spending my free time after working full time and being a single parent cleaning the house! I’m so slow and I hate it, so I’m getting her back in the new year as a treat to myself.
That's a great idea. The more you enjoy being at home, the less likely you go out and waste your money outside.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Yes I also think a cleaner is a good investment. Good for the health and a valuable timesaver.

Reactions: 6
For those who pay a cleaner, how much do they charge? I’m wanting to start cleaning myself so interested in what ppl pay.
thanks

Reactions: 2
Love this thread.......my mortgage was 450 a month with a year to go before my 5 year deal ended... I got a new deal with HSBC now paying 340 a month and saving myself an extra 80 quid in interest too.. however this did come at a cost.. of 800 to end current deal which sounds a lot but overall 170 a month.. I still pay 450 a month so I am chipping away.. there is also a mortgage calculator as I want to pay my mortgage off 10 years early so I am currently 3 years into this so will be finished at 2030 ish. I shop at Aldi, also shop for spices etc at Chinese supermarket they work out so much cheaper and you get so much more for your money. I make soups for lunch in the winter and batch make lunches of tuna salads etc in the summer..

In lockdown... I made use of all beauty products using bath products as shower products.. had 6 different ones and almost through them all.. have not bought any make up and using what I have... still plenty left..

clothing wise.. I always keep the tags on clothing until I am ready to wear it.. if I change my mind I can sell it and get more with it being brand new, same with kids clothing..

I love Oliver Bonas but it’s very expensive I buy scarves 2nd hand for a fraction of the price..

Lebara have been good for cheap mobile deals £10 for 10gb, I have Netflix just the 1 but use it on my sons tv.
CD keys is good for x box and PlayStation deals.
I have a dodgy box from eBay 25quid and use cyber ghost and watch my American Dramas, pop telecom for internet.
I have it all on a spreadsheet, and I also try to only go shopping 3 times a month and leave one week to eat down the cupboards, freezer and things that need using up.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I would genuinely rather be broke than have a full week of misery eating what Evers left in the cupboards, every month

• Haha
I would genuinely rather be broke than have a full week of misery eating what Evers left in the cupboards, every month
My cupboards are pretty well stocked, so I just go through and see what there is example green curry paste and coconut milk and rice = Thai green curry, always chicken in the freezer or fish...tinned tomatoes = chilli or Bolognese or even a fry up..😁

Reactions: 17