Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wish I invested in a microwave sooner. It is helping me ditch takeout. I’ve cooked lentil pasta bowls, baked sweet potatoes, and even a bean soup in the microwave. They’re healthy meals and can take as little as six minutes — max ten. No more delivery meals for this tattler 👋

Reactions: 8
Has anyone tried buying shares or investing money other ways? If so, how did it go? Was it easy enough to buy shares?

Reactions: 2
Has anyone tried buying shares or investing money other ways? If so, how did it go? Was it easy enough to buy shares?
I have shares with Trading212 which is a really simply platform. I bought at the drop from covid and at one stage was down a few % highest I’ve been was up by 47% and I’m now sitting at 35% gain. Some are making big, others losing big but obviously overall up.

Reactions: 1
Yes. Investing in shares of established companies I use and like yielded the best results. Using a brokerage that has the lowest fees per transaction is a good idea. Sound advice I received: Dollar cost average your money into the market. This means feed your money into the market in piecemeal. Don’t try and time your entrance because the stock market is unpredictable.

By the way, if my answer seems short it’s because I’m wary of sharing opinions on the stock market. I’m very conservative when it comes to investing. The past year and a half has shocked me.

There’s an adage from the billionaire Warren Buffet, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway: “Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful.”

Last edited:
  • Heart
Yes I started last year. I was scared to invest at the start if I'm being honest but so far I have received £63 in dividends and I just wish that I started sooner rather then at the age of 29, but I have also influenced my younger 21 year old sister to get started. I would really recommend the youtube channels: the humble penny and nicole at the frugal cottage. I initially opened a stocks and shares ISA with moneybox then switched that to vanguard as the monthly fees were too high. Something like £1.38 or £1.20 after their initial free three month offer. I still have my vanguard account, but I mainly use freetrade as it's commission free investing so no charges for buying and selling shares. They also let you buy fractional shares for the larger American companies.

I go for companies people will always need.

Food= Tesco is my third largest holding. Sainsbury's my fifth. I have some fractional shares in Starbucks, Pepsico, Starbucks, mcDonald's and Coca cola.

Packages and letters = Royal mail
Insurance = Aviva, Legal and general.

I have also heard of that Buffet saying and also buy shares when they dip. Royal mail for example was trading at £4.20 less then a month a go, now it's back up to almost £5 with the build up to black friday and Christmas looming.

It's also always advised to have an easy access emergency fund first before you start investing.

We also have premium bonds and have won £275 in around 14 months.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m in the US - I invested with a company that was foreign owned and I ended up owing taxes on it because of its foreign status. It put me off investing overseas.

They also let you buy fractional shares for the larger American companies.
I do this with dividends. They’re enrolled to automatically reinvest.

• Heart
I’m in the US - I invested with a company that was foreign owned and I ended up owing taxes on it because of its foreign status. It put me off investing overseas.
Oh that reminds me on Freetrade if you're a UK resident you have to fill in a W-8BEN form in the app so you don't pay 30% tax but it's still around 15%. I have more money in UK companies then US ones.

Freetrade do also have an ISA option but it's £3 a month. You also have a £2000 dividend allowance every year- I'm not near that amount but would consider opening an ISA if I get closer to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Oh that reminds me on Freetrade if you're a UK resident you have to fill in a W-8BEN form in the app so you don't pay 30% tax but it's still around 15%. I have more money in UK companies then US ones.

Freetrade do also have an ISA option but it's £3 a month. You also have a £2000 dividend allowance every year- I'm not near that amount but would consider opening an ISA if I get closer to it.
I think IRA’s are America’s equivalent to ISA’s. My IRA account is free. It is a great investment option over here because once you pay taxes on the money you deposit, that money can grow and grow tax free. It is regarded as a long term investment option. Say you use it for retiring in 30 years, you are able to assume that taxes will likely be higher and could eat away at your gains. So it is better to clear that tax hurdle now via an IRA so that your net money is larger.

ETA: I don’t know what’s meant by a 2000 pound dividend cap. I see that there is a 20,000 pound cap on how much money you can put into your ISA each year.

Last edited:
I have a stocks and shares ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown and invest in funds - I feel it’s less risk than individual shares. I’m happy to give share the funds I invest in if you want?

ETA: I don’t know what’s meant by a 2000 pound dividend cap. I see that there is a 20,000 pound cap on how much money you can put into your ISA each year.

These are two different things.

A UK taxpayer can contribute up to £20,000 to an ISA each year - either cash ISA or a stocks and shares ISA. All income and gains generated within the ISA wrapper are tax exempt.

Also, everyone is entitled to a tax free dividend allowance of £2,000 for dividends received outside of an ISA.

I made 5k profit on shares in January and 1.1k in September. I’m currently about £300 down on what I’ve put in recently so just trying to make that back at the moment. I like to go for the high risk high rewards trades. Also bought small amounts of crypto around £300 all together probably but I’ll probably keep them for a long time.
I used to use Hargreaves lansdown but I now use etoro. I’ve started using Coinbase for crypto but the fees are high

Reactions: 3
I have been researching buying shares & I think my best option would be to use Degiro to buy the shares. Degiro is reported to be the cheapest and easiest option in Ireland and their website seems straight forward. My plan is to buy shares in hotels because I know the industry & fully believe even if it takes a while, it will be worth it.

Bloody great advice this! Started to invest on my Chip account in the summer but now wondering if the fees are too high? I’m only putting in £100 a month (just bought a house). Can’t wait to sit down with a cup of tea later and read up properly!

I had a look at Chip for their basic plan it's "£1.50 fee applies every 28 days". The lower the charge fees the more you get to keep for yourself. Some banks also offer this feature- with halifax it's called save the change.

I think I’m going to do the £1378 saving challenge next year. I don’t think I’ll l be able to complete it but I’ll try!

Reactions: 3
My approach has been not spending my bonus, save 80% of it. To me that is the easiest way of savings

I’m so grateful I saved £30 a month this year for Christmas - every payday I would put £30 away in a monzo pot treating it like a bill to be paid each month and i've now got £300 to spend on xmas presents rather than using all of my December pay to buy them and starting the new year skint! definitely doing it again next year

Also just cashed out £10 on the shoppix app as all the points from my christmas shopping receipts have boostes my points ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m so grateful I saved £30 a month this year for Christmas - every payday I would put £30 away in a monzo pot treating it like a bill to be paid each month and i've now got £300 to spend on xmas presents rather than using all of my December pay to buy them and starting the new year skint! definitely doing it again next year
I did this too except a different amount so I have £500 to spend. Feeling so pleased with myself haha!

Reactions: 4