Budgeting and money saving

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you're in Ireland I really recommend GOMO for your phone network. I changed over a year ago and previously I was paying €30 per month with meteor but now it's €9.99 per month with GOMO. And it is the same things offered, like free calls, texts & internet. I think the GOMO price is now €12.99 per month but that is still big difference!

Also if you are a contact lens wearer, Vision Direct is brilliant. Way cheaper then buying them from Specsavers...etc. Delivery is super fast too.

Reactions: 2
Also if you are a contact lens wearer, Vision Direct is brilliant. Way cheaper then buying them from Specsavers...etc. Delivery is super fast too.
Yep I find ordering online has a huge difference price! When I by mine at the optician they're over 100€ but online they're less than 60€. I was a bit worried they might be fakes but so far I haven't had any issues. I mean, 40€ is a LOT. And I'm someone who routinely orders books at the local bookstore even though amazon would have them way cheaper.

What work well for us is that we almost never order drinks when we go out to eat. We still eat out once a week, but not ordering alcohol has allowed us to save a little.
£8 for a cocktail, nah...

Reactions: 3
What work well for us is that we almost never order drinks when we go out to eat. We still eat out once a week, but not ordering alcohol has allowed us to save a little.
£8 for a cocktail, nah...
I did this on Saturday night, only because I decided to drive (recently started to drive) and couldn’t believe the difference in the final bill! Will probably opt to do that more often. Can still enjoy things without blowing a huge dent in your budget!

Reactions: 1
On the odd occasion we go for a meal out I always look out for refillable soft drinks. Once you’ve had 2 or 3 glasses it’s basically paid for itself. Good for kids who guzzle drinks too.

Went to a wedding yesterday and the prices for drinks were mad, even soft drinks were expensive. It kind of irked me if I’m honest as you weren’t allowed to bring your own either, so what are you meant to do if you’re skint?😩

Reactions: 4
On the odd occasion we go for a meal out I always look out for refillable soft drinks. Once you’ve had 2 or 3 glasses it’s basically paid for itself. Good for kids who guzzle drinks too.

Went to a wedding yesterday and the prices for drinks were mad, even soft drinks were expensive. It kind of irked me if I’m honest as you weren’t allowed to bring your own either, so what are you meant to do if you’re skint?😩
a few years ago, when we were saving for a house. We brought our own mulled wine in a hot flask while walking in central London enjoying the Xmas light. :ROFLMAO:

Yep I find ordering online has a huge difference price! When I by mine at the optician they're over 100€ but online they're less than 60€. I was a bit worried they might be fakes but so far I haven't had any issues. I mean, 40€ is a LOT. And I'm someone who routinely orders books at the local bookstore even though amazon would have them way cheaper.
I stopped buying books, I borrow books from my local library. Lol and download pirated books online. :p Probably not best way of doing it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
a few years ago, when we were saving for a house. We brought our own mulled wine in a hot flask while walking in central London enjoying the Xmas light. :ROFLMAO:

I stopped buying books, I borrow books from my local library. Lol and download pirated books online. :p Probably not best way of doing it.
I do this but with hot chocolate. Like tit am I paying £4 for a hot chocolate from a stall! I can buy the ingredients and make 10 for that price!!

Reactions: 5
I got a good milk frother (Instant Pot) and the thought now of ever spending money at a coffee shop is horrifying to me. My mornings now come with a side of smug over the money I’m saving 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
So what are your favourite cheap or free things to do for entertainment?

I don't pay for any subscriptions like Netflix, and I also don't have a TV provider (can still get some channels via the antenna we have) and I use that, youtube and some *ayyye matey* to entertain myself for TV programmes. I wanna check out my library soon, I've lived here three years and I've shamefully neglected registering!

I also go hiking a lot, which has some upfront cost like good shoes (a must here in the mountains) but when you bring your own food and drinks, it's pretty much free from then on out.

Reactions: 5

I don't pay for any subscriptions like Netflix, and I also don't have a TV provider (can still get some channels via the antenna we have) and I use that, youtube and some *ayyye matey* to entertain myself for TV programmes. I wanna check out my library soon, I've lived here three years and I've shamefully neglected registering!

I also go hiking a lot, which has some upfront cost like good shoes (a must here in the mountains) but when you bring your own food and drinks, it's pretty much free from then on out.
I pay for news in my country because it makes a difference in the quality. Podcasts and radio shows are nice free entertainment though. I like landmark gardens and wildlife sanctuaries. I time my visits so that they’re free.

ETA: I save the most when these places do not have a donation box. Sometimes they do though and I’ll contribute for the upkeep. 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I started a plum account in March time after a friend mentioned it. I simply do the round ups, I know lots of bank accounts have this option but mine doesn't. I don't even notice it coming out weekly but when we went away in the summer I had £360 stored on there which we used for spending money. I started it back up recently and will used it in December to put towards Xmas food shop.

i tried the 52 week envelope challenge but money was tight and I had to do a week on then a week off, but it still all adds up. You just get 52 envelopes, write 1 to 52 on them, pick one weekly then seal that amount inside.

Also I store up all my kids old clothes, shoes etc, then every few month I sell them on ebay. Sometimes things sell for like £2 which can be annoying but I listed 10 items recently and made about £30 for very little effort of stuff I was originally going to throw away. Pick your sale time well, I store summer clothes until spring as find they sell easier then. Listing all the kids old winter coats this week as the weather starts to turn.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Pret a manger do a subscription which is £20 a month for pretty much unlimited coffees/any drink. The first month is also free! Cancel any time.

I know bringing your own drink is cheaper but if you currently buy a coffee every morning then this pays for itself. The limit is 5 drinks a day. No limit on what kinda drink, so get your extra syrups or espresso shots, or alternative milks, specials like pumpkin spice latte etc. Or have a tea/hot choc/iced frappe or smoothie.

• Wow
Reactions: 14

Yeah I pirate a lot too, but all my educational, technical books I really prefer to own as hardcover. I can't really study from them from my pc, I need to underline stuff, write in the margins, etc.

Plus, I get a tax reduction and I do actually want to suppport my local bookshop 😅

Pret a manger do a subscription which is £20 a month for pretty much unlimited coffees/any drink. The first month is also free! Cancel any time.

I know bringing your own drink is cheaper but if you currently buy a coffee every morning then this pays for itself. The limit is 5 drinks a day. No limit on what kinda drink, so get your extra syrups or espresso shots, or alternative milks, specials like pumpkin spice latte etc. Or have a tea/hot choc/iced frappe or smoothie.
My brother signed up for this too and I would have done so too, but my nearest Pret would be a bus ride away.

I used to study a lot in coffee shops pre covid.

There's also online libraries. I use Manchester central who let you have a web account if you don't need a card/ live in the area. I have 5 books on loan at the moment. It seemed so strange for me to see my sister actually pay £13 for two books now that I'm out of the habit of buying them.

also if you live in a smaller town with a library you can order books online to the library and they give you a ring when it comes in. I prefer to do this than go to the big libraries cause I feel like using the smaller libraries will keep them open

Reactions: 7
Anyone below 30, I rexommend Voxi. I pay £10 a month for data, calls and text. They are the sister company of Vodafone.

I recently switched my phone network from Vodafone to Smarty, which I think are ran by 3 network. They do super cheap monthly rolling contracts. I’m now paying £8 a month for unlimited calls, texts and 12gb of data which is plenty for me. On Vodafone I was paying £15 for 5gb and only 1000minutes. Definitely pays to check these things every now and then. It used to be that GiffGaff were the cheapest but now not so much.

I used a comparison site to find the best deal and just switched my number over. I do love a comparison website.